Samuel L Jackson

Rosie Webros

May 8, 2013
Look forward to seeing that. Did anyone see the film, I think it was called The Notebook. About a lady who had Alzheimer's and her husband would visit her in her nursing home. It showed how they started out in life when they were young. It was really good but really sad, I cried my eyes up!!

Rosie xx

Margaret938

http://www.channel5.com/shows/5-new...jackson-im-making-a-new-film-about-alzheimers

Samuel L Jackson was on the Graham Norton show last night, as he is over here working with the Alzheimer's Society. A lot of his close family have suffered from the disease, including his Mum, who died last year.

It would have been a great opportunity to speak about this £@!*&%£ disease, but it was only given a cursory mention. As usual.:cool:

I switched it off, I am not a prude, but I was embarrassed listening to Sandra Bulloch talking about sex. It would have been better to let SJ talk about AD.
Margaret

Margaret938

Look forward to seeing that. Did anyone see the film, I think it was called The Notebook. About a lady who had Alzheimer's and her husband would visit her in her nursing home. It showed how they started out in life when they were young. It was really good but really sad, I cried my eyes up!!

Rosie xx

I absolutely loved that film, don't know if I could watch it now though ( I have the DVD and we watched it a lot together), too close to home now that George is in the CH.
Margaret

Rosie Webros

May 8, 2013
Margaret, I know exactly what you mean. I don't think I could watch it now either. My dad is in nursing home now and like you say it is too close for comfort.

Take care, Rosie xx

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I saw the movie The Notebook when it came out in the theatre. My mother had already been diagnosed for a few years by then so I was looking forward to it, but had not read the book.

I have to say I intensely dislike that movie. There was nothing realistic about the dementia being portrayed. The way Gena Rowlands was completely with it and then totally gaga was so inaccurate. I much prefer Iris with Judi Dench.

But then, it's all a matter of personal preference, isn't it? :) And after all, it was geared more to their early story and was a typical Hollywood movie, with them dying together at the end (which I found particularly cloying).

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I haven't seen The Notebook but I thought 'Iris' was amazing. I couldn't watch it when it first came out but I bout the DVD a few weeks ago. I watched it one day when Bill was at the day centre. Many tissues required. Both Judi Dench and Jim Broadbent were wonderful.

Miss Merlot

Oct 15, 2012
Graham Norton crude....??? Next bears will be umm... pooping in the woods! :D

I switched it off, I am not a prude, but I was embarrassed listening to Sandra Bulloch talking about sex. It would have been better to let SJ talk about AD.
Margaret