Bleach and flashing blue lights

KatieB

Nov 22, 2010
Glasgow
I haven't posted in a while, dementia has taken over and we have have quite a time of it. On Monday my mum suffered another TIA, her worst to date and then last night, my dad drank bleach. One ambulance with flashing blue lights and a trip to A&E later, he 's fine and my mum is actually ok. My husband and I, on the other hand, have raw nerves and large bags under our eyes. I feel guitly at times but you really have to laugh, retain a sense of humour and just get on with it.:)

Shash7677

Sep 15, 2012
Nuneaton, warwickshire
Oh blimey what a night!

I'm glad mum and dad are ok/on the mend. Sometimes if we didnt sit and laugh we'd be staring down the barrel of a nervous breakdown lol.

Take care,
Sharon

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
Not as dramatic as yours but Gordon once made himself a diluted drink of lemon lenor conditioner!!!

He said it tasted nice!!!!

Now I make sure if I am going out that I leave him with plenty of cold drinks as well as a flask of tea/coffee.

Thankfully I was in when he made his " drink" so he did not actually drinkmuch of it.

Hope all calms down

Jeannette

Wenrob

Nov 3, 2012
My mom once put steredent into a glass if water and said it was bitter lemon ,luckely she only had one sip before we wondered why her water was blue and frothy, we did have to laugh :) x

tomkitten16

Sep 24, 2012
merseyside
my ex husband once drank that perfumed ironing water believing it to be fruit flavoured drinking water-its the best he's ever smelled!!!! No he isn't a dementia sufferer just too vain to wear specs!!:confused:

Norfolkgirl

Account Closed
Jul 18, 2012
I haven't posted in a while, dementia has taken over and we have have quite a time of it. On Monday my mum suffered another TIA, her worst to date and then last night, my dad drank bleach. One ambulance with flashing blue lights and a trip to A&E later, he 's fine and my mum is actually ok. My husband and I, on the other hand, have raw nerves and large bags under our eyes. I feel guitly at times but you really have to laugh, retain a sense of humour and just get on with it.:)

How on earth did your dad open the bottle of bleach? did it not have the safety mechanism in place (where you have to squeeze the lid and twist to open)? Not only do we have to be mindful of kids near bleach etc. but it seems also dementia sufferers too!

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
I understand how that could easily happen in my house. I have arthritis in my hands and fingers and have little strength.

I struggle greatly to open the bottles of bleach, so when I finally manage it I donot put the top on properly again.

However I keep the bleach on the floor by the side of the toilet, not in a cupboard in the kitchen.

Jeannette

Norfolkgirl

Account Closed
Jul 18, 2012
I understand how that could easily happen in my house. I have arthritis in my hands and fingers and have little strength.

I struggle greatly to open the bottles of bleach, so when I finally manage it I donot put the top on properly again.

However I keep the bleach on the floor by the side of the toilet, not in a cupboard in the kitchen.

Jeannette

Yes I agree with you there but if KatieB doesn't have arthritis problems, perhaps the bottle opening inconvenience is better than the inconvenience of ambulance/hospital scenario?

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
I think I was just trying to justify to myself why I do not put the cap back on securely.

I do think about the dangers, and you have made me think so perhaps I will find somewhere else to keep the bleach where they are out of reach for him.

Jeannette

Norfolkgirl

Account Closed
Jul 18, 2012
I think I was just trying to justify to myself why I do not put the cap back on securely.

I do think about the dangers, and you have made me think so perhaps I will find somewhere else to keep the bleach where they are out of reach for him.

Jeannette

Rather than struggle, I usually open bottle tops using a jar lid opener, one that has varying sizes options that works and looks a bit like pliers, usually works even with bleach bottle tops.

dotty12

Jan 23, 2013
sounds familiar

Hi My mum has just had a lovely swig of listerine! We had the diagnosis of dementia recently and like your mum she is now having regular TIAs. I am now her carer, sharing this with my old dad..... just hope we can manage it all!!

KatieB

Nov 22, 2010
Glasgow
Hi Norfolkgirl
Arthritis is something my dad doesn't have. He was able to open the yellow plastic bottle without any trouple apparently. It was in their utility room however the bleach and other cleaning products have now been moved - to a safe. We bought a safe from ARGOS at the weekend and now all that stuff is under wraps. My dad used to be an engineer so he spends his time looking for things he can tinker with. In his puruit of "DIY" he is brick by brick dismantling their house. Dementia is awful, isn't it? It destroys people. I hate it.:(