Mum's home.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Mum came from respite today, and i'm apprehensive.
I bought a nebuliser, a BP machine,and Dip sticks to keep an eye on whether she has a UTI or not, so if she gets ill hopefully i can deal with it.
I have sippy cups with double handles as her hands shake, she doesn't seem to get the logistics of how to use it even though she has been using them whilst she was in respite. She also seems to be more confused than before, i know she will be confused from being in respite and coming home, but it seems more than that if you know what i mean.
I am dreading nightime, there is now a commode in her bedroom if mum gets up and down like a yo yo she doesn't have to find the bathroom, i just hope she remembers that, and i put her small table lamp that was downstairs up into the bedroom so she won't get scared in the dark....
Already she having toilet problems, its like she doesn't know what to do, she doesn't seem to be able to wait for defaecation and uses her hands...i did say to mum that if she is having problems doing the toilet and the SW finds out she will just start on the 'mum needs to be in a home' routine again, which mum doesn't want and neither do i.

at wits end

Nov 9, 2012
East Anglia
Oh Carabosse what a lot to handle.

I really hope you can make things work for you and your mum, when I took my gran home from respite last year she said' i meant my other home' ? Who know where she meant.

Keep your chin up and dont be scared to ask for help.

Good luck

xxx

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
I'm trying, trust me i am trying...i just hope that its just confusion from coming home, if it is something else and mum needs to go to hospital then it plays right into the SW hands... i pray that everything goes well tonight, as that will be one day under our belts... will let you know how things go tomorrow.

at wits end

Nov 9, 2012
East Anglia
It's nice that you are so clear in wanting to make it work. Give it a few days and I'm sure she'll settle again.

I'll check up on you tomorrow!

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Thanks...i have given her her tablets and she looks sleepy, so fingers crossed. I will explain the commode not that she will remember but maybe she will once she gets used to it... so i'm off to bed, wonder if i'll get any sleep?

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
So glad to hear that your mum is home and I hope that it is only initial confusion that is wrong with her. Like you said, one day under your belts.now. Long may it continue too!

Fiona

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
I got some sleep, but it was a nightmare trying to get mum to go to sleep. She didn't want the little table lamp left on but i knew if i switched it off she wouldn't sleep at all and if she got up there would be problems (as before), not too mention she had a nightlight when in respite so whats the difference between there and here?
No idea how to take the lid off of the commode, so i did it and left it off, she must have managed to use it as there was stuff in there when i got up, so thats a start. Dressing and undressing seems to be more difficult, but i was wondering if the staff at the hospital and then the respite place did things for her rather than letting her doing things herself?
My mum has started making noises along the lines of ' ho ho', no not like Father Christmas before you all start, was wondering if this was normal or should i be worried its due to something else?
I noticed this morning she is bringing stuff up when coughing and can hear crepitations which means she either has the start of another chest infection or she will be going into CHF again, i will sound her in a few minutes and see what i can hear.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
I hope not either, i sounded her and couldn't hear anything, i got the CPN to check when she came in as well but she couldn't detect anything either. Mum has been pre occupied with her chest and has had her inhailer/ GTN spray a few times, i called the duty Dr who said to see how things went and if things get worse to call them back. Mum is sitting there going 'ho ho' (again no Christmas jokes please) every 2 or 3 seconds and rubbing her chest and stomach (not at the same time) so i'm going to leave it for a while and see what happens, talking of Christmas the cards have been opened and the prezzies have been as well, so i have had Christmas!

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Day two, broken nights sleep as mum wandered into my room as she couldn't see the commode even though it was straight in front of her, funny thing is she managed to use it later in the night! She never even asked for the light to be switched off so that was good, but i did hear her muttering to herself for a while but it didn't last long. She does make some strange noises during the day, i told you about the ho ho, there are a few oohh ohhh (as if in pain but not) plus a few others, but not sure if thats due to her knee being sore or if its just another part of the condition?

Hair Twiddler

Aug 14, 2012
Middle England
Oh Carbosse what a lot you have on your plate!
I was going to suggest that you try one of those plug in socket lights - you know the ones that you have on landings when children are little - I use them in our house just in case mum wanders at nigh - they aren't too intrusive. But it seems that your mum accepts a proper lamp being switched on, which is a lot better.
My mum does a fair bit of "harruffing" and makng strange noises - I've tried asking why she does it - usually she doesn't know but sometimes she will say it's because of me - apparently I'm hair twiddling at the time & she doesn't like it!:D

love - Self-concious-hair-twiddler x

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Lol, i used to twiddle my hair, but grew out of it. I have asked mum why she makes those noises to which she either answers she doesn't know, or she didn't know she has been doing it. I did buy a night light that was supposed to be for children or the elderly, but it wasn't that bright and i felt she would still have problems if she got up at night, hence the table lamp from downstairs is now in her bedroom.
She had an accident with the sippy cup, i think i had filled it up just a bit too far as mum has this habit of tipping it up too far (its still new to her as she isn't used to using them) and some spilled out, either that or she took too much in her mouth but it went all over her top, so it was a quick change before she went off to daycare.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Why is it that my mum doesn't seem to be able to see the commode one time so opening the door to go to the bathroom (commode is near the door) and waking me up, yet the next time she can use it without a problem?

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Why is it that my mum doesn't seem to be able to see the commode one time so opening the door to go to the bathroom (commode is near the door) and waking me up, yet the next time she can use it without a problem?

It's one of the conundrums of dementia isn't it, it's so difficult to believe but these sort of things happen all of the time,
I hope your mum get's used to it soon and that you get a good nights sleep,

Jeany x

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
So do i, maybe after a while she will notice it is there and use it during the night, fingers crossed.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
I didn't get much sleep last night, not for lack of trying more because i was 'listening' for mum getting up to come out of her bedroom to use the toilet rather than the commode in the bedroom, but she managed that ok.
Mum was up during the night trying to put the bedside table lamp off, its funny that when in respite she had a light on (and i doubt she complained or tried to put it off), so why is she trying to do it at home?

at wits end

Nov 9, 2012
East Anglia
Hello there.

Sorry you're still not getting much sleep.

It's a funny old disease isnt it. Who knows why they change their mind about things....