A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
It seems there is little hope for you, then, Sylvia ...:)
Incidentally, I have never believed in summer-weight quilts.
Am off to make my own hot and milky bedtime drink now.
Night-night.
Love, Nan XXX

Mufti

May 11, 2012
Kent
What a day for you!!!

I read your post and it sort of put my past few days a little into perspective! My partner luckily (so far) does not venture out without me now but we just had a crazy day over the weekend. He hasn't know who I am for about a year now but "accepts" me as a nice lady who he loves and cares for. We had had a fairly stable couple of weeks and he was settling into day care once a week. On Sunday he went upstairs to change and came down asking me to get my car off the driveway as his "partner" would be back soon, I couldn't stay and if I didn't go he would call the police!! This happened once before about 6 months ago but I'd got a bit complacent I suppose? and it really shook me!!. After about two hours I had talked him down and he went to bed but was up and down all night so neither of us had any sleep for about 26 hours! I kept wondering how far my fulll tank of petrol would take me!!! but I know that's not a solution. I spoke with his CPN and checked out for infections or constipation which can sometimes give these sudden swings in mood.He has calmed down again now and at the moment he is asleep and I am having my "respite" period on the computer - Talking Point and a quick card game then off to bed. I can't imagine how stresed you must have been but my thoughts are with you - we are called "carers" but wouldn't it be so much easier if we didn't care?????? Ruth

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
is it true that the amount of sleep we get needn't matter? it is the being in bed that counts. I was always told that and have tried to abide by it.

Not sure Butter. As long as I feel fine I won`t worry. I must be getting enough sleep or I`d be on my knees.
And don`t forget I`m no longer 24/7 caring now which enables me to rest if I feel the need, a luxury many don`t have. xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I spoke to the dentist about the state of Dhiren`s mouth. I had asked if he needed a course of antibiotics [ ABs ] for his puffy gums.

She
AB`s are not what`s needed. What is needed is thorough cleaning.
Me
There were only two staff for 10 people. They don`t have the time.
She
I will seek advice for care of vulnerable adults.
Me
Would a good mouthwash help?
She
His teeth need to be cleaned. You wouldn`t clean a dirty pan by rinsing it out. It would need a good scrub. Your husband`s teeth need a good scrub. I will visit him again and mention it to the manager.

:)

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Dhiren was in his wheelchair and the dental nurse held his head. But from the photos Saffie, Dhiren is probably about 6” shorter than Dave so his wheelchair might support his back better.
Dave is 5ft.8 and a half Sylvia - not that tall. Perhaps Dihren's wheelchair is a better one than Dave's which he was given as new by the OT in the acute hospital and which i don't like as it gives so little support. His back bends right back when he falls asleep in it which he used to do a lot in the community hospital before the gangrene in his remaining foot forced them to get a special big chair for him - and which of course has been replaced by an even better one in the home.

The dentist that sees Dave complained about the state of his mouth when he was in that same hospital - where Dave still goes for dental treatment - and said that 'caring' included caring for his mouth. He had to have intensive treatment. Fortunately it is a lot better now he is in the home. It's another thing to worry about isn't it!

I have only just stopped taking a hot water bottle to bed with me. I get cold legs in bed. I still have my winter quilt on 10.5. I did put the 4.5 summer weight on but it only stayed on for a couple of weeks
I have a 13.5tog quilt all year - and I also have an electric blanket the use of which I am still taking advantage of now!

Last edited:

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Oh, well done, well said, your excellent dentist, Sylvia. Brian's teeth looked so uncared for in his first care home but were managed much better in his second (and final) home, so it can be done.

Love, Nan XXX

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Interesting to hear what the dentist said, Sylvia.

At least with dentures we can give them a good scrub and soak. :):(:)

I don't think my mum would have responded well to a mouthwash. She was very fussy (rightly) about what went into her mouth. Couldn't even stand water some days! I can only imagine what would have ensued if we had tried to get her to swill a mouth wash around.

But Dhiren is more able to accept suggestions, I think. x

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
I'm a bit worried about taking my mum to the dentist next time as it's up two flights of stairs and she doesn't do stairs any more. The nursing home has had trouble getting a dentist to come there at all, I think they used to have a mobile surgery which came into the car park, but I've heard nothing about it. Do others have dentists to visit too? I pay for a little care plan for mum, but if they won't come and she can't access the surgery I may have to think again. I would like her teeth looked after, btu I'm not convinced that she always cleans them now....:(

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
Teeth is one of my worries too.

Gordon's teeth are breaking off and he now has a few stumps. There is no pain, and I must be honest I have only encouraged him to clean his teeth I have never tried to do it myself for him.

The first visit to dentist last year was dreadful The dentist just started telling me off, and told me he could do nothing for Gordon and charged the usual inspection fee!!! Amusingly a month or so ago I got a reminder from them saying Gordon's inspection was due again!!!

I have found a new dentist with a downstairs surgery, I asked if he would see Gordon without shouting at me or Gordon. he said yes . I shall make the appointment when I get back from my weeks holiday.

I am still worried about it, as Gordon is on warfarin so any treatment is fraught with problems.

However Iknow Gordon does use mouth wash and I feel that at least it is an effort even if it is not perfect.

Jeannette

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
The nursing home my mother is in has a dental team coming in twice a year, so I have Mum's teeth properly scaled etc. Brushing her teeth is a lot more difficult but the girls seem to manage most of the time.

Mum has truly horrific breath some days and I was told by another resident's family member to try an OTC heartburn medication. So I think I might give that a go and see what happens.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dhiren`s teeth are awful but his breath amazingly is fresh. I think sweetness of breath also depends on the efficiency of the digestive system. The breath can come from the stomach rather than the mouth.
His digestive system functions well and his diet is good, fresh and varied.

He was fine today, has made an excellent recovery, the home reports no aftermath and now he`s ready to go home. :)

So when I arrived after lunch he wanted to know what time the train was and if I had the tickets.
I told him I had the tickets, the train was at 5 o`clock but if it rained we would go tomorrow.

It thundered and a flash of lightning hit a chimney in the area. :)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dhiren still has toothache.

The teeth which were extracted were front lower jaw. His pain is right side upper jaw which is where the abscess was a few months ago.

The manager phoned the dentist who is coming tomorrow on her routine rounds. Both the manager and a senior carer cannot understand why antibiotics were not prescribed. The senior carer said they do try to clean his teeth but as soon as the toothbrush is in his mouth he bites down on it and they cannot move it.

I wish I`d known this when the dentist was there. I wish one of the staff had told the dentist.

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
I know this feeling; you think you have dealt with something and then you find out something you wish had been picked up on before.
At least they are getting the dentist back. I hope antibiotics will do the trick xx

Status
Not open for further replies.