Diamond Jubilee

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
No need to thank me for my support, Hazel. Rarely read the main forums on TP nowadays but obviously I was having a ‘missing mum moment’ and was drawn to the loss section where I hoped to find some like-minded soul who had also been moved – albeit in different circumstances and perhaps for different reasons - about the events of the weekend.

It was some sort of relief to find your thread there and comments from others who as you said didn’t make me feel I was ‘off the wall’. Thanks all of you!

In fact, reflected on this today and find it interesting – where the first couple of years for me 'after mum' were very raw and significant dates/anniversaries would trigger feelings of grief, now I seem fine with those - it’s an event or occasion or some parallel perhaps in the news, or something where ‘I wish mum (dad/SIL/MIL etc) could be here to see this moment’ that highlights the great gaping holes those we have loved leave us with.

Like you, Hazel, I don’t feel maudlin at all ... in fact I am actively planning to celebrate what would have been mum’s 80th birthday next month :)... but it’s surprising what affects us sometimes? Can’t be a bad thing – shows we are human and have empathy and compassion? ;):)

I couldn’t help notice the space between the chairs at the Service of Thanksgiving ... at least someone had the grace to make sure there was no obvious ‘empty chair’ – but the Prince’s absence was so palpable? As is the loss in all our lives .... and those damned ‘holes’ that occasionally open up and invite you to fall down? And HM no different to the rest of us when it comes to pain, worry and loss. Except she has to keep smiling - or at least fulfilling her duties - while I can go crawl into a corner and weep if I want to.

Take care, Karen, x

frazzled1

Aug 25, 2011
london
i watched the whole thing and have to marvel at the amazing strength of character of our Queen and her sheer physical wellbeing. how mobile she is for 86!!! She perfectly climbed those steep steps into the carriage, amazing! And she has such a lovely smile, wish we could see it more often. i did feel though that standing up in the barge in the driving wind and rain for hours on end would lead to someone catching a cold or infection Still, was an awesome weekend. I went up to London to catch a glimpse of the boats but all i caught was a cold. Switched the TV on back home and of course, a perfect view with a nice glass of bubbly. The person i care for is ex Forces and this whole ceremony meant a lot to him for a number of reasons. His health seemed to improve whilst these marvellous events on the TV distracted him from his illness.

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
A couple of things Saffie.

Don't believe all you read in the papers and where do I apply to to get my 60p a year back so that I can donate it to a much worthier cause?

angela.robinson

Dec 27, 2004
Bit late adding to this thread ,as i went on hols 1st of june , missing the jubilee celebrations , which i would probably have sat and watched , although i am not a fan of many royals I do admire the queen ,and have a soft spot for the bumbling philip .i think the queen will be devestated if she lost philip.who i cant see lasting a great deal longer ,why i have posted is because on hols in Bulgaria,there was a huge mix of nationalities, and not much conversation between us ,,but on several occasions some effort was made to converse ,i was really surprised , that what came through was the huge admiration each had for the Queen + Philip,and Wills+kate. the same comment was made from German ,Russian,Bulgarian, and several others .made me quite proud of the queen in particular .

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Bit late adding to this thread ,as i went on hols 1st of june , missing the jubilee celebrations , which i would probably have sat and watched , although i am not a fan of many royals I do admire the queen ,and have a soft spot for the bumbling philip .i think the queen will be devestated if she lost philip.who i cant see lasting a great deal longer ,why i have posted is because on hols in Bulgaria,there was a huge mix of nationalities, and not much conversation between us ,,but on several occasions some effort was made to converse ,i was really surprised , that what came through was the huge admiration each had for the Queen + Philip,and Wills+kate. the same comment was made from German ,Russian,Bulgarian, and several others .made me quite proud of the queen in particular .
Hello angela robinson
Your post maybe a little late ,but it was well worth the effort
It is encouraging to know how people from other countries appreciate our Royal Family
It is a sad fact that far too many people in this country denigrate the Royals without giving much thuoght to the situation that other countries face
jimbo 111

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Welcome home, Angela, hope you had a good time. Thanks for the post.:) You too, Jimbo, good to hear from you.:)

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
If you've enjoyed the celebrations of the Queen and Royal family this year
You wil have missed a treat ( and possibly a lesson in Royal history) ifyou missed the
programme onTV "King Georger and Queen Mary- The Royals who rescued the Monarchy" For anybody , even people of my age , it was a fascinating insight into the histoty , not only the Monarchy , but the social history of that era
This episode ended on the death of the King
The next episode (next Monday ) starts with the unfortunate period for King Edward
and Mrs Simpson
Worth watching

jimbo 111

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Hello angela.dot.globetrotting.dot.robinson:)

Lovely tale. :) Confess I have only just got round to watching ‘the concert’ and what struck me most (with the exception of Tom Jones ;)) was the Queen’s reaction to Prince Charles’ speech where he asked the crowd to shout loud enough for his father to hear from his hospital. I don’t think I have ever seen the Queen so visibly moved by the support as the masses chanted ‘Phillip, Phillip!’ – not just for herself but for her situation and for her hubby ... and that certainly was what made that particular part of the weekend so special and moving one again for me. I think we all know here how much support matters, and the Queen no different (albeit in very different circumstances!) when she must have been sooooooooooo anxious.

Hope you are Ok now, Hazel – confess I have been very weepy since that weekend – don’t usually get like that over the Duke of Edinburgh :eek:– but something definitely touched a nerve for me about what was going on ‘behind’ the celebrations.

Love, Karen, x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Missed it Jimbo!:( I'll see if I can catch it online. And I'll certainly watch the next one, thanks for pointing us in that direction.

Karen, I'm fine, thanks. Still no good news though, and it's frustrating to be so helpless. But I hve to accept that this is not my battle - doesn't come easily, as you know.:(

xxxxxxxxxxxx