Daily Care - any tips/help

TaraT

Aug 31, 2011
Manchester
Does anyone have any advice in relation to daily care? Mum is on her own in the day, my brother lives with her and I'm just about to move back too. We care for her in the evenings and take her out at weekends, however I feel that she needs company (and mental stimulation) during the week. I'm considering giving up work, but I'm unsure. I would like someone to take her for walks, shopping (not for food, but to her favourite haunt - Matalan!) and to generally keep her occupied and for company. I'm also worried about having strangers in the house. Does anyone have any advice/experience in this area that they can share?
Thanks
Tara

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
A care agency will charge around £13-14 per hour depending on where you live.

I would have thought it would be nice for someone to join her for lunch maybe (even if 2-3 times per week). I am sure your local Alzheimers Society branch will be able to give you some advice or even point you in the direction of anyone who would offer a befriending service rather than 'care service'.

Giving up work is a big step and probably a big drop in the family income so I would think very carefully before you go down that route unless it is absolutely necessary.

I am sure someone on TP will have more ideas and good luck with your search.

Very Best Wishes - you are very thoughtful :)

Does anyone have any advice in relation to daily care? Mum is on her own in the day, my brother lives with her and I'm just about to move back too. We care for her in the evenings and take her out at weekends, however I feel that she needs company (and mental stimulation) during the week. I'm considering giving up work, but I'm unsure. I would like someone to take her for walks, shopping (not for food, but to her favourite haunt - Matalan!) and to generally keep her occupied and for company. I'm also worried about having strangers in the house. Does anyone have any advice/experience in this area that they can share?
Thanks
Tara

TaraT

Aug 31, 2011
Manchester
Hi SWMBO1950, thanks for your advice - that's exactly what we need - company, rather than care. I'll give the Alzheimers Society a ring and find out more. Thanks for your reply, it's much appreciated
Tara T