Television programme talking to families dealing with dementia

greglewis

Sep 22, 2011
I just wanted to mention a television programme which is coming up on Tuesday, September 27.

The Wales This Week team has been filming with two couples dealing with dementia. They have allowed us incredibly generous access to their lives and we hope we have done their stories justice.

We filmed at the Memory Walk in Cardiff and have interviewed Ian Thomas, director of the Alzheimer's Society in Wales, and Bob Woods, professor of clinical psychology in the elderly at Bangor University.

The programme is on ITV Wales at 7.30pm but will be available to viewers across the UK on the internet after transmission.

If anybody would like me to post a link when it becomes available I'd be glad to do that.

There is some more information about the families we are following here:
http://greglewisinfo.wordpress.com/2011/09/22/living-with-dementia/

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Thanks for that Greg, I will watch this. My mum is in a care home in Cardiff.

turbo

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
Set up to record this programme.

I met Ann and Peter a few years ago at a support group and used to attend the north Wales forum with Jim and Maureen for several years and became good friends with them. It is wonderful that both couples have participated so generously in the making of the programme.

greglewis

Sep 22, 2011
Set up to record this programme.

I met Ann and Peter a few years ago at a support group and used to attend the north Wales forum with Jim and Maureen for several years and became good friends with them. It is wonderful that both couples have participated so generously in the making of the programme.

Hi Linda
I found them absolutely fantastic to be with. I learned so much.

Jim spoke with absolutely clarity about living in the moment, describing how he copes with his condition. At one point we just had Maureen chatting to Jim, and we let them talk. It was fascinating. I wish we could have kept it all in.

Peter was wonderful too. Some of the points he made were heartbreaking. He has made his own DVD about Ann which has been shown at various conferences. We have used some of the home video to show how Ann was.

Sadly, Linda, her health has deterioated considerably in the last couple of years.

Greg

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Sky TV Box

I have found out that if you have sky you can add channels so I have added ITV Wales to my box

this is where I got the info from
http://www.vowles-home.demon.co.uk/Sat/SkyITV.htm

they wont show up on your list of channels available but press "Services" and choose "Other Channels" and it should show up

Dont do as I did first time and forget to press select each time I put in new info and follow all instructions down the page (inputting different info 3 times)

cant record or put up reminder but will be able to watch on the night

greglewis

Sep 22, 2011
I have found out that if you have sky you can add channels so I have added ITV Wales to my box

this is where I got the info from
http://www.vowles-home.demon.co.uk/Sat/SkyITV.htm

they wont show up on your list of channels available but press "Services" and choose "Other Channels" and it should show up

Dont do as I did first time and forget to press select each time I put in new info and follow all instructions down the page (inputting different info 3 times)

cant record or put up reminder but will be able to watch on the night

That's great, so you can watch the programme live outside Wales. I didn't know that.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
I hope ITV keep note of sky viewer numbers and see how many people watch it "out of area" and release it to a wider audience. if you know what I mean

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland

linda1scot

Aug 2, 2011
north lanarkshire
Hi Greig

Loved the programme last night although im in scotland hubby managed to programme sky to receive the channell. Was very thought provoking and sad at the same time. 2 lovely couples.

Linda x

greglewis

Sep 22, 2011
Hi Greig

Loved the programme last night although im in scotland hubby managed to programme sky to receive the channell. Was very thought provoking and sad at the same time. 2 lovely couples.

Linda x

Thanks Linda. The two families were marvellous.

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello Greg, I watched the programme and found it very moving. I liked the way the programme focused mainly on the two families. We need more programmes like this.

turbo

greglewis

Sep 22, 2011
Hello Greg, I watched the programme and found it very moving. I liked the way the programme focused mainly on the two families. We need more programmes like this.

turbo

Thanks Turbo. I'm glad the programme appears to have helped a number of people.

Please pass on the link to people who might find it interesting.

snap draggon

Aug 27, 2011
We watched it

I just wanted to mention a television programme which is coming up on Tuesday, September 27.

The Wales This Week team has been filming with two couples dealing with dementia. They have allowed us incredibly generous access to their lives and we hope we have done their stories justice.

We filmed at the Memory Walk in Cardiff and have interviewed Ian Thomas, director of the Alzheimer's Society in Wales, and Bob Woods, professor of clinical psychology in the elderly at Bangor University.

The programme is on ITV Wales at 7.30pm but will be available to viewers across the UK on the internet after transmission.

If anybody would like me to post a link when it becomes available I'd be glad to do that.

There is some more information about the families we are following here:
http://greglewisinfo.wordpress.com/2011/09/22/living-with-dementia/

And really enjoyed it. Only one small complaint, there was nothing for someone suffering with Vascular Dementia which my husband has. I was hoping to get more info on this from other sufferers.
Well done for good programme though.

Best Wishes

Snap Draggon

greglewis

Sep 22, 2011
And really enjoyed it. Only one small complaint, there was nothing for someone suffering with Vascular Dementia which my husband has. I was hoping to get more info on this from other sufferers.
Well done for good programme though.

Best Wishes

Snap Draggon

Thanks Snap Draggon

We were obviously restricted in the number of people we could feature because of time constraints. We felt the two couples revealed different aspects to dealing with dementia in general.

It also took a lot of courage on their parts to open up to us about their lives. They were incredibly generous with their time and candid about their feelings.

Greg

Andrea O

Sep 28, 2011
Living with Dementia programme

Its Andrea, Ann's daughter. I found these entries whilst looking for the link. Just wanted to say thank you so much to Greg for the programme and for the footage of Mum and Dad. You've dealt with the matter so sensitively and it was a great programme. It was good to hear Jim and Maureen's story too.
Gary and I have had some great feedback from people, and many used the word 'dignity' in their responses - so many many thanks for that.
very best wishes and thanks again.

linda1scot

Aug 2, 2011
north lanarkshire
Hi andrea

Welcome to TP its lovely to have you here although its obviously better if you hadnt needed to be here at all (like the rest of us!).

The programme last night was very helpful to me as someone who possibly has early onset dementia and i can only thank you and your family for allowing the tv to film your mum and dad on the documentary.

Hopefully more people will now be aware of this dreadful disease due to itv wales bringing it to the forefront.

Thank you once again

Linda xx

greglewis

Sep 22, 2011
Its Andrea, Ann's daughter. I found these entries whilst looking for the link. Just wanted to say thank you so much to Greg for the programme and for the footage of Mum and Dad. You've dealt with the matter so sensitively and it was a great programme. It was good to hear Jim and Maureen's story too.
Gary and I have had some great feedback from people, and many used the word 'dignity' in their responses - so many many thanks for that.
very best wishes and thanks again.

Andrea
So glad you were able to see the programme and that you felt it treated your parents' story with dignity.
I have to say your dad was brilliant. He was so natural and honest in front of the camera.
It was great to meet you at the Memory Walk.
Greg