Medication

Manu

Jun 2, 2011
Lancashire
Hi All,

I am new to this group and would like some advice please. My mother has started on a course of treatment today for Vascular Dementia and Alzheimers. The medication is called Reminyl / Galantamine. I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with this type of medication? good or bad.

Thanks Mike.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi Mike and welcome to Talking Point (TP) :).

I have no experience of Reminyl, but it's a subject that comes up often on the forum. you might try searching the forum by clicking on Advanced Search and looking for posts with the keyword Reminyl. I would suggest in the first place you restrict it to titles only to narrow your search.

This link may lead to my search as above, or it may not (apologies we have just had an upgrade and we've not quite figured out what works and what doesn't :eek:)

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/search.php?searchid=17015

You might also have a look at the factsheets on drugs for Alzheimer's here:

This link should definitely work, she says confidently! ;)

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=147

scarletpauline

Jul 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Hi and welcome to TP. My husband Jack has Reminyl, he is fine with it and I am sure it has done him a lot of good, it doesn't suit everybody. Jack is on 24 mg daily now. Love Pauline xx

Manu

Jun 2, 2011
Lancashire
Thanks.

Hi and welcome to TP. My husband Jack has Reminyl, he is fine with it and I am sure it has done him a lot of good, it doesn't suit everybody. Jack is on 24 mg daily now. Love Pauline xx

Thanks for that Pauline, how long was it before you seen any results?

Mike.

KingB

May 8, 2011
Berkshire
My mum is on reminyl and has just got up to the full 24mg dose.
I think she took a while to settle with it- it MAY be the thing that was making her feel very "sicky" for a while (nausea), and it MAY be what has been making her generally a little drowsy. However, it does seem to be making a big difference with her memory and general functioning - and this seems really only to have kicked in at the 24mg point.
I would say it is a good thing for mum and does seem to be helping and stabilising things.

jackanory

May 10, 2011
hi mike i am on aracept which is of the same type of drug.for dementia after nine months i have been ok ,hope mum is copeing ok wish you well

JackMac

Jun 26, 2010
west midlands
Mum is on aricept 10mg once a day. The improvement in her was amazing for a few weeks but then declined again and she gets worse every week now. She has become more sociable though which we are grateful for. she chats more, even in big groups of people, whereas before she had gone very quiet.
jackmac

scarletpauline

Jul 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Thanks for that Pauline, how long was it before you seen any results?

Mike.

I can't say I saw any actual results, it is just slowing the process down, gradually Jack is getting more forgetful but I know it would be worse if he wasn't on the medication. Pauline x

sonia owen

Mike

Hi Mike,
Welcome to TP.
My mum has been on Reminyl for over a year now. She hardly had any side effects with this tablet. For the last 4 months her mood seem's quite sable andshe happy with her life. So that makes me her daughter and carer also happy that we are able to have good times together. Her short term memory is not good,but who know's what it would be like without the help of the tablet. If they took her off it. I am sure things could be worse,and you just don't know what would happen coming of the drug.
Hope your Mum gets on well with the tablet, just keep any eye on her.
Take care
Sonia x

Manu

Jun 2, 2011
Lancashire
Thanks

Thanks for all the reply s to my initial thread, they have all reassured me a great deal. As I've mentioned before all this is new to me. Its nice to know you can come here for some help and support. Thanks again.