Compassionate Communication with the Memory Impaired

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
My daughter read Contented Dementia and she found it very helpful. She kept recommending it to me to read and I found myself saying that I couldn't focus on reading because I was up to full capacity with what I could take in. It did help her.

Love

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
There is a more easily-read version of the same document by Liz Ayres, via the Alaska Brain Injury Network, which may be better received by all, including professionals (simply in terms of presentation):

http://www.alaskabraininjury.org/library/index.cfm?step=2
Thanks JPG - but the link would not work for me & I tried 2 simple searches on what did come up without success - could you re link please?

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Nope, won't work for me either!

Try this way of getting to it:

http://www.alaskabraininjury.org/library/

This is how I came by it:
= via the library:
= type compassionate communication into the search box - and it should take you to the doc plus another useful doc about photograph 'memory' albums.

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
Helen, I have found that I am doing reading and research for Dad, he is mum's main carer, I discovered a while ago that he finds it too painful to read anything on the subject of dementia, but is happy for me to do it and report back. I consider it to be one of my main tasks now.
Pippa

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Pippa

What you are doing for your dad is so important. You have found a concrete an constructive way to help him and know it will help your mum as well.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Nope - misremembering - it was Skye - as in Hazel - who has told me that my Hb sounds quite like her John used to be - she posted the link in post number 112 on 26th November 2009 on Page 8 of my thread......

So we all can thank Hazel too......♥♥♥

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?t=15095&page=8

Sorry - a bit rusty - here is the link to the actual post - forgot how to do that!!

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showpost.php?p=257763&postcount=112

Thank you Sue.:)

But I wasn't the original poster either. I seem to remember it was one of out Australian members who is no longer posting. But I had saved it because I found it so helpful.

Good to see you back on board!:)

Love,

Jameela

Dec 3, 2010
Cambridgeshire
My goodness, what a revelation - I wish I'd seen this advice earlier. Not that it would have changed much of what's happened but it might have made us all a bit less stressed.....

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Pippa,

That's what I call beneficial support:):) Offering to the person something that they can actually benefit from rather than things that are good ideally but the person is unable to accept them because of overload or other reasons. I found that even being told to make a phone call was, at times, too much. Being told I needed a break was also too stressful at times. My daughter, after reading Contented Dementia, somehow knew how to offer me support that I could actually receive:) It made a massive difference. She felt good about herself and I felt good about myself and this meant that Alan was going to benefit and feel good about himself!!!!!!

Good on yer Pippa:)

Love

Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
In case anyone is wondering: the version on the alaskabraininjury site is identical in content to that which Sylvia posted in the first post of this thread. Only the formatting is different. (Oh and it's a .doc file so if you're on a mac you'll have to convert it).

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Thanks Jennifer. It was getting rather confusing. I needed simplicity as a carer and I still do:)

Love

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
That's exactly what I said, Jennifer.

The content is the same, but the presentation is far better because it's far more 'reader-friendly'.

Especially if anyone is planning to print it and hand it over to the so-called professionals here in the YUK. And it may result in fewer trees being demolished, as each and every 'professional' recipient works out how to make it user-friendly.

The Alaska version is cool!! :cool:

The fact that it's a .doc file makes little difference. There are fewer Mac-users here now (sorry, iMac!!)thanks to PC worldies, and others.

Helen33, the Alaska version is far more simple, and that was my only reason for introducing it to the forum.

Last edited:

Speedy

Jul 24, 2010
Reaslly helpful, thank you, I will pass on as well. Very useful for all caregivers:)

Has anyone seen a copyright statement on the document (or, preferably, a note saying that it may be freely copied)? I'd like to pass it on to our local parish magazine, but the editor might be nervous.

I'm furious with the said parish magazine: this month's issue has a very unfunny "Test your memory" poking fun at dementia, and I want the editor to put something positively useful in next month's issue! Pam

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Pam,

Used with permission from Ellen Warner at Ageless Design

This was at the bottom of the first post in this thread so I assume it is ok to use:)

Good idea to get something positive into the magazine after something rather silly;)

Love

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Helen - actually I think that was an error (re the copyright). I have every reason to believe that the one I've posted above is the accurate one.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabream