Talking about Walking

serena

Jul 17, 2010
Hampshire
Hi
I haven't posted for a while as have been tied up with last Estate business and financial stuff on behalf of Mum. I wanted to update on my own personal crusade to get my Mum (11th year of AD) out for walks from her care home. I have had a message from the general manager of the care home that a walking group will now be set up ASAP for interested able residents. It is ironic that after many months of pestering about this issue with staff at the home, Mum's mobility is definitely going downhill,she has been experiencing muscle convulsions which has made her wobbly and last walk I took her on she fell. I will watch this space and see what happens next. I will pass on my news to the EVIDEM - E Research team at UCL for their interest ( London-based investigating use of walking to assist dementia behavioural symptoms)
Many thanks for listening, Love and Light, Serena

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Serena, hi
Well done you but how very sad that it might be a bit late for your mum, maybe they can get support for wheelchair users to also take part and get the advantage of fresh air and the wind in their hair.
Thank you for letting us know how things are going, it's good to hear from you.
Best wishes, Jo

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello Serena, Well done. Result ! Sorry to hear that your Mum's mobility is not too good. Hope she is ok after her fall.
Mum's care home organised a walk and lunch a couple of weeks ago. On my last visit I took mum for lots of walks. One walk lasted two hours and we always have an ice cream which she loves.

Turbo

serena

Jul 17, 2010
Hampshire
Hi Turbo

Thanks so much for your good wishes. Mum is OK after her fall thank you. It is so good to hear your Mum's care home has organised a walk/lunch, such a nice idea, I may pinch the idea for Mum's Home!! Lovely to hear about you Mum enjoying her ice cream and two hours walk Wow I am impressed.My Mum's thing is a lovely cup of tea somewhere, ideally outside which is not too waspy!
Love and Light, Serena

Hello Serena, Well done. Result ! Sorry to hear that your Mum's mobility is not too good. Hope she is ok after her fall.
Mum's care home organised a walk and lunch a couple of weeks ago. On my last visit I took mum for lots of walks. One walk lasted two hours and we always have an ice cream which she loves.

Turbo

serena

Jul 17, 2010
Hampshire
Hi Jo

Thanks so much for your reply. It seems a very small victory but my overall goal is to still raise awareness of the need for fresh air and exercise for AD and other dementia sufferers (and all care home residents) in a more National sense. I think talking to Dr David Lowery at EVIDEM-E research team helps raise the profile of the issue and posting on Facebook possibly too, we'll see. I have also joined the Alz Soc Campaigns Network Team, currently looking at Putting Care Rights (Dementia care in Hampshire Hospitals)this is another story...
From a personal point of view I do hope Mum's little walking group does not come too late for her but will be useful for all, including the wheelchair users who would like to get out.
As Mum's care home is one of a chain, I would hope they could lead by example to others in their group.
Good to hear from you, nice to be back on TP have missed it.
Best wishes Serena

Serena, hi
Well done you but how very sad that it might be a bit late for your mum, maybe they can get support for wheelchair users to also take part and get the advantage of fresh air and the wind in their hair.
Thank you for letting us know how things are going, it's good to hear from you.
Best wishes, Jo