Searching the forum for short terms - for example EPA

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi All,

Unfortunately the vbulletin software that we use for the forum does not allow you to search for short terms such as 'EPA'. As and alternate, you can use a search engine such as google to do this for you. The following steps force google to only search one particular site.

1. Open google. Just type www.google.co.uk in your browsers address bar
  2. Type the following phrase in the search box (exactly as it appears below!). Or cheat by just cutting and pasting the text:

"EPA" site:http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/talkingpoint/discuss/

3. Click the Search button.
Note: You can replace EPA with any short term that you wish to search for.

search1alz.gif

Note: If you click on the 'Advanced Search' button on google it gives you a lot of additional options.

Hope that helps
Craig

Last edited:

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Searching for Short Terms

I have also found that the asterisk key * acts as a wild card when searching.

The wild card tells the computer to search for any other combination of characters where the asterisk appears.

So if you want to find posts with EPA in them, which is normally too short for the Search function, then just search for:

EPA*

The asterisk will tell the search engine to find anything that begins with EPA, no matter how short.

sussexsue

Jun 10, 2009
West Sussex
I have also found that the asterisk key * acts as a wild card when searching.

The wild card tells the computer to search for any other combination of characters where the asterisk appears.

So if you want to find posts with EPA in them, which is normally too short for the Search function, then just search for:

EPA*

The asterisk will tell the search engine to find anything that begins with EPA, no matter how short.

That's what I do too, or *EPA*