Forum upgrade

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
SORRY I originally responded to something on the first page of this thread by mistake

Last edited:

snowdrop345

Apr 14, 2009
Israel
email alert

Is it possible to request an email to be sent to my personal email address to notify me of new replies on topics I am watching or posted?

Thanks

Ps as a new member I am so grateful for this site. At last support for me as the daughter of someone with Alzeihmers, and who doesn't live in the same country. Thanks a million:)

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi Snowdrop,

If you click on Thread Tools (in the green bar at the top of the thread) and then click on 'Subscribe to this thread' and you can choose to be updated by email if there is a reply to a thread you are interested in.

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
What on earth is a 'soft delete'? :eek: (I've just tried to delete visitor messages and prevent future messages on 'my' profile - as in it's *my profile* - not what other people choose to post on there ....:cool:

And why can't I amend or remove my location without entering my date of birth? :eek:

Karen :confused:

KatherineW

Oct 2, 2007
London
Talking Point FAQs

Just to let you all know that some of the old Talking Point FAQs are now no longer on display. The software upgrade has meant that several of these were out of date, so to minimise confusion, we’ve taken them down for the time being. We will update and restore them as soon as we can.

All the FAQs that are left here should be clear and up to date:

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_faq

Thanks

Katherine

P.S. Karen - re. your questions - I will get back to you asap!

KatherineW

Oct 2, 2007
London
In response to one of Karen's questions

What on earth is a 'soft delete'? :eek: (I've just tried to delete visitor messages and prevent future messages on 'my' profile - as in it's *my profile* - not what other people choose to post on there ....:cool:
Karen :confused:

Hi Karen

'Soft deletes' leave a 'message deleted' prompt, together with the reason the message was deleted.

If Visitor Messaging is causing you concern, you could always remove it from your profile: just go to your User CP area / then Edit Options.

Half way down the page you get the option to both turn off visitor messaging and/or to restrict visitor messages to just your contacts or moderators.

Hope that helps,

Katherine

KatherineW

Oct 2, 2007
London
And in relation to the second question...

And why can't I amend or remove my location without entering my date of birth? :eek:

This is most probably an extra security measure put in place with the software upgrade. I'll let you know if I find out anything more!

Katherine

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Quick Profile Edits

Hi All,

It looks like you can do quick edits on your Location, Interest in Talking Point and Occupation from within your profile without having to access the User Control Panel (CP).

Just get to your profile page (for example, by clicking on the link on the top right of the page where is says Welcome User Name)

Click on the About Me tab.

Click on the pencil icons of the field you wish to edit.

Take care,

Sandy

Attachments

• quick_profile_edits.jpg
    quick_profile_edits.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 584

KatherineW

Oct 2, 2007
London
Hi everyone

Just to let you know that all of the reported bugs on the system have now been dealt with.

All the comments made here have been taken on board. We will keep track of any issues raised and will be reviewing your feedback again within the next couple of months - making any appropriate alterations as necessary.

Thanks
Katherine

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
Not sure if this is the right place to post this - but didn't want a new thread - On the "Board" - when a new thread is posted - when you hover over the first message the first "x" number of words comes up to read to see if it something you may want to read or respond to - is it possible for the pop up window to remain for longer - I can't read what is in the pop up window quickly enough - so i have to move off & push the cursor back to finish reading - if it is like this for me it may be worse for some people e.g. those with dementia - maybe i just need to alter my settings or is this a board setting alteration??

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
You mean when you're looking at the list of messages? When I hover over this thread I see the following Picture 7.png

However it stays there until I move my cursor. Doesn't move. I have no idea if this a browser thing or a computer thing (I'm on a mac using Safari) but it isn't a board thing.

Note: OK apparantly I can't get a screen shot. How odd. Let me try it again.

edited to add - no I obviously am unable to get a screen shot of this.

It was a yellow block with

"Hi everyone

I thought I would set up a thread for you to post any queries about the new features on Talking Point.

The FAQ system is pretty comprehensive so it is best to first check there first, but I will try and answer any questions that come up.

Forum FAQ
General Forum Usage"

in it.

Last edited:

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
Sorry - maybe I wasn't very clear - I'm on New posts today screen from Quick links drop down & for example on the new phone thread I can read this
I have recently bought a new phone to help my husband who is unable to make telephone calls, so can't ring me if he needs to when he's on his own. But it has many other advantages too which are helpful. I will explain what I find useful rather than list the specification which you can look up
.........all i'm saying is that i can't read it quickly enough - it goes off before i complete reading it.....so if the pop up box could remain for longer I'd appreciate it - if I'm the only one - then leave it - or can it be a personal preference.....

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Yes, if you just let your mouse hover anywhere in the rectangle containing the post title, you will see something like this:

titles1.jpg

It looks like the TP software automatically takes the first 300 characters of the post and turns it into the 'title' of that rectangle (or that cell of the table that makes up that page).

How long that pop-up text displays is probably down to the settings of your own computer. I read something online that indicated it's directly related to the double-click speed set for your mouse.

The text will re-appear if you just nudge your mouse, but then you have to find your place again.

If you really want to read all the text, you can right-click anywhere in the rectangle and then choose Properties from the list. You will get a box like this:

titles2.jpg

You can drag the right-hand side of the box to make it longer and then click in the text and use the right arrow key to make it scroll. Bit of a faff really.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
No we are talking about the same thing. I was trying to take a picture of my screen so that we could be sure that we were talking about the same thing, but it won't let me do it. Anyway, the point I was making was that when I see that bit of the first post of a thread, it doesn't disappear until I move my cursor - if I don't move my cursor it stays visible for ever. What I was saying is that it must be something to do with either your browser or your computer as if it was a board setting it would be doing it for me as well.

I'll try to find out why it's doing what it's doing for you.

P.S. Which browser are you using?

P.P.S Oh good - Sandy's on the case. I was hoping she'd deal with it because she knows a lotmore about it than me (and maybe when she has time she can explain to me why my screen shot doesn't show that text box) :D

Last edited:

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
(and maybe when she has time she can explain to me why my screen shot doesn't show that text box) :D

My answer will always be the same - because you have a MAC ;)

That's not a reflection on Mac's (our first home computer in 1990 was a Mac Classic) - I just don't understand how they work any more :(

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
Thanks for trying both of you - but while I liked the sound of Sandy's suggestions - I could not make them work for me - but i accept it may well be a local (own computer) issue

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Cop out :)

It's going to bug me because it's not something I've seen before, so I'll have to see why it does it.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
I just tried this in Internet Explorer 8 (I normally use Firefox) and had the same experience as Jennifer - the text remains on screen indefinitely as long as the cursor is still within the rectangle with the post title.

So I would put it down to a browser difference.

Most of these things are hooked into accessibility tools, like screen readers for partially-sighted or blind web users.

There may be settings within browsers or operating systems to alter their behaviour, but that's not something that I'm familiar with.