Visiting Profiles

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
I feel guilty now .... I just looked up some profiles because I wanted to check on some people's last posts ... and now I feel like I am snooping .... or I have an ulterior motive ..... and members might be wondering why I chose to 'look at them' - only I wasn't ......:eek:

I am very, very uncomfortable with this new set up ... is it just me?

Karen (middle name Paranoid) :eek:

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
We could always look at profiles before. I did and I do - sometimes because I don't remember details about a person and want to check & make sure I don't make an ass of myself on a post.

I have also sometimes looked up posts on a profile because I couldn't remember (again :eek:) the details.

To me, it's just flipping back the pages in a book. Nothing here is private, except for PMs.

So I don't worry about it at all and neither should you.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I use profiles a lot - it's the fast way to find a specific post if you know who made it and approximately when. Frankly the search engine sucks to my mind (moan, moan) and I can hardly use it.

I can't say it bothers me one way or the other, but clearly it bothers some people. And that's odd, because the only difference to before is that now you know if someone's looked at your profile whereas before you had no idea. So does having more information make us more paranoid? Maybe. I think (I hope) that eventually this whole "who looked at my page and why" issue will disappear.

There's probably 2 schools of thought: those (like me) who actually find it interesting (and who find knowing who has looked is less scary that not knowing) and those who find it too spooky or intrusive. I can see why one might get spooked but the intrusive thing seems a non issue in that whether you knew/know it people are accessing your profile all the time. It may be possible to turn it off site wide, although I have no idea if there is good or bad reason to have it on. I"ll direct the web team to this thread yes?

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
I was about to post a thread yesterday asking how one could tell that their profile was being viewed, then I discovered it myself! (pats self on back in self-congratulatory style :D)

I hadn't previously used profiles much but the last couple of days I've learnt how useful they are, especially for searching for threads and posts.

Vonny xx

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
The oddity about visiting profiles (sounds like a new profession!) is that the software only displays the user names of 'logged in' members who visit your profile. Non-members who view your profile are recorded as a number only, presumably.

So perhaps there may be a software tweak which would not show user names, merely record numbers.

To know who or not to know who?

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Why?............

......... Because it is obviously a matter of concern for some members. Not all - but some.

If non-logged-on members can silently visit profiles without that bothering anyone, then it might be of less concern to some members if all visits to profiles were anonymous.

It's also a fairly irrelevant logging of statistics - because I have accidentally clicked onto user names and visited profiles, and been recorded as being one of the last 10 to have done so, when I had no real wish to read those profiles. Merely an accidental click.

But my visit to that person's profile may cause them concern - for whatever reason, and that reason is personal to them.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Just my musings.......

.............I feel the people who are the most concerned about being identified as visiting the profiles of others might just possibly be the same people who chose to use the `invisible` facility when it was available.

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
More musings ....

.... It's not the people visiting the profiles who are expressing concern; it's some of the people whose profiles are visited who are expressing concern. Or that's what I've read so far anyway.

It doesn't bother me personally, one way or the other.

And the 'invisible' facility is still available to some.

The main point is that certain things bother some people, but not others.

Like PMs - some people use them constantly; others never use them.

Personal preferences, I guess.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Karen

I really like the facility. I sometimes pop in and leave a message just to say "hello". It doesn't bother me who looks into my profile because there is nothing to hide. I just see peoples profiles like rooms. I have decorated my room with an album of photos or two and there are pictures on the walls saying which groups I am interested in. There are post-it notes all over the place of messages that people have left.

If you pop into my room I hope you will say "hello". I wouldn't see it as snooping. I am quite sure you have better things to do than snoop into my humdrum little world:D

Love

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Jpg1

I hope this thread isn't going to be turned into something that it wasn't intended to. Karen has spoken for herself and she is very clear about what she wanted to say. She is talking about her own 'paranoia' as she puts it. This thread should be in support and not generalised.

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Helen33

The thread was called "Visiting Profiles".

All I did was make my own comments.

Karen, I support your own paranoia, and only wanted to extend your paranoia. :);)

. :confused:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I quite like the idea, as I have visited new members that show up, but never posted . welcome them in there profile .

Then I stop, because I thought it may feel I am discouraging them from posting in the main forum ?

what do you all think ?

(But then thats just me)

Then I look at other people profile , just wondering why they have not posted a for a while, or if I have miss anything in there last posting if they have posted something in the main forum . Catching up so to speak

I have never look at that part in how many people look at my profile, till now . , you all know me I am open as a book :) so I don't mind .

I am very, very uncomfortable with this new set up ... is it just me?

Why are you feeling uncomfortable about it ?

beside being Paranoid.

are you paranoid about what other people think your doing it for ?

. I just looked up some profiles because I wanted to check on some people's last posts

anyway you told us now really , its because you care .

Last edited:

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Until this thread was posted, it never occurred to me that I could see other profiles, let alone find out who had visited mine. It is totally irrelevant to me but now I will visit profiles, just to see what all the fuss is about!

xxTinaT

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
In the nicest possible way

Are you all barmy;)

Leave this one alone.

I am sure you all have better things to do;)

Barb XX

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
I really don't know why I should I explain myself ... but I will ....:p

A certain other thread (best not named!) prompted me that other people were concerned about who was looking at profiles and why ....

I myself was not happy initially with the new set up on TP about 'visitors' being able to leave messages against my own profile I might not know about until I checked in ..... (but that one is sorted now thanks to advice here) ...:)

Yes, paranoia is my middle name - in part due to being tracked down some years ago on the internet even when I thought my 'alias' was safe ..... and for reasons totally irrelevant to TP :p being 'found' was ultimately not good for anyone involved ... and no, I have done nothing wrong and have nothing to hide .... other than to protect certain other people in certain families, not myself ........... there, that's saved you all a fortune on a 'Murder Mystery weekend' ... :D Answers on a PM postcard might win a prize for AS! ;):D

In the meantime, anyone have a link to a paranoia forum? I might be able to make good use of it!!!! (I bet terms of membership are 'Are you sure you really want to do this?' which will have me in a dizzy spin for weeks!!!!!!! :rolleyes:)

Sorry folks, :eek: love, Karen, x :D

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Karen

It sounds like you have had an awful experience and it's no wonder you worry about these things. It is sad though because it must mean that you have to keep yourself at a distance from people in order to feel safe:( I really appreciate what it must have taken to tell us (((((HUG)))))).

Love

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mshaw6