Breaking point

Crownlyn

Apr 9, 2022
I’ve been staying at my mums since she was discharged from hospital a week and half ago, she has been incredibly anxious about her sugar levels (type 2). Tonight she asked me to check it and it was 7.5 and she wanted to bring it up before bedtime so I made her a sandwich, checked it again 10.5, so I said it’s fine go to bed but she’s frightened to go to sleep and asked me to do it again. I said no, she started crying and begged me so I checked it again and it’s 11.4, again I said it’s fine go to bed.
She’s now wandering in and out of my room begging me to do it, crying. I hate hearing her cry but I’m finding it hard to be sympathetic, I can’t spend all night keep checking it.
Then I feel anxious in case god forbid it does go low and I’ll never forgive myself.
She’s just begged again for me to check it promising she won’t ask me anymore so I’ve done it again and it’s 12.9. She won’t believe it’s high enough and keeps crying and saying sorry and she’s too frightened to sleep, she’s now asking for milk and biscuits to bring it up.
She’s just asked again, I can’t deal with this, what can I do, she’s so anxious. She’s even asked to go to hospital so they can get it sorted!
Sorry to vent at this time of night xx

Last edited:

SERENA50

Jan 17, 2018
Hi

Maybe she can't fathom the numbers out or remember although than the feeling of anxiety of being in hospital and the worry going there again. Probably no matter how many times you do it the same thing will happen. You have checked it and if it is okay at 12.9 and it's bed time , could you say the hospital have phoned and asked how she's doing and you have given the readings and they are happy with those and to go to bed and get some sleep? The same thing in the day if your mum keeps asking and distractions don't work. I would try it , just nip out of the room, pretend they have phoned or you are phoning them and see if that works.

Crownlyn

Apr 9, 2022
Hi Serena50
Yes she is confused with the numbers and doesn’t know what it should be, she’s so frightened she doesn’t even believe the nurses and kept questioning them in hospital, then other times (rarely) she’s not concerned what it is.
I just wish with all the reassurance she would believe me.
I’ll try the ‘GP phoned to see how you are’ tonight if it happens again.
Thank you

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Crownlyn

When I used to check my husband blood glucose for type 2 diabetes the numbers I looked for were between 4-8 Has the system changed now? The figures you quote for your mother don`t seem to tally with those I knew.

The severe anxiety your mother is experiencing can affect her readings. Please discuss this with her doctor.

Crownlyn

Apr 9, 2022
Thank you that was my thinking 5.5-8.8 but for many years (even before dementia) my mum always liked her level to be around 10.
In the hospital they were controlling it as they provided her food but at home she asks for food and gets annoyed if we don’t do it. She can also make toast etc herself.
They reduced her glictazide from 80mg to 40mg in hospital.
I’m guessing a care home will be the best option for mum as they will remove this stress from her and me.
In the meantime I’ll speak with her GP.
The carer has just been and said 6.9 before breakfast was too high and marched her up the road for a walk.

SERENA50

Jan 17, 2018
Hi Serena50
Yes she is confused with the numbers and doesn’t know what it should be, she’s so frightened she doesn’t even believe the nurses and kept questioning them in hospital, then other times (rarely) she’s not concerned what it is.
I just wish with all the reassurance she would believe me.
I’ll try the ‘GP phoned to see how you are’ tonight if it happens again.
Thank you
The GP is also a good idea. There are medications for anxiety that may be a possibility too. We have had my Dad this week with total anxiety to cut it short it has taken a whole week before he has resumed to some calm again. I generally find that too many words and explanations just overwhelm him. He kept asking me the same thing and I kept repeating the same reply in the exact same way , just calm , low tone of voice, gave him a hug , however many times he asked me eventually he just stopped asking. I am not saying that will work with your mum of course, my Dad has COPD and getting him to use and inhaler when he cannot follow to remember instructions is very very difficult. xx