Carer stealing from friend

Jan48

Apr 25, 2022
That must be the most stupid thing a carer can do stealing from a dementia sufferer and get caught. My friend, she is my daughter mother in law. Her husband had a phone call from the bank regarding fraud somebody has used atm to withdraw money and did nightly shopping. The son lives far way nearly 2 hrs by train, no money or card in her purse. Bank told him to ring the police. She keeps losing the portable phone and son put a fixed landline and she unplugs it. She has carers 4 times a day and her son visited once a week. Very little support from local authority and social services are involved. They do not know what else they can do. Anybody got any advice. Neighbours not very understanding as one day she was knocking on the windows saying she could not find her keys. The neighbour phoned her but said next time she will ring the people. So sad, such a shame I do not live nearby. I am always happy to help somebody in need.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Such a sad situation @Jan48 - it makes me so angry when I hear of vunerable people being ripped off in this way. Thank goodness the bank picked up on the fraud and alerted the son.

I don't have any useful suggestions about how this situation can be managed going forward but others who have faced something similar might come by with ideas which have helped in their own situations.

It is good that social services are aware and I hope they will be able to work with your friend and her son in finding a way forward.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Has it ever happened to anybody, people who are supposed to care for the vulnerable and stole from them. My daughter mother in law has lost her debit card and money from her purse. Her son only knew about it when the bank contacted him and froze the account. Over £700 has already been spent. He is going in circle with the police. An interview was booked but when he turned up there was nobody to interview. He lives 2 hrs from her by train and her vascular dementia is so advanced you cannot have a conversation with her. She has carers four times a day and they still come everyday. Her son is going to change caring company. the care manager is not doing anything and waiting for the police report so is the bank. In the meantime whilst all these are going on it is quite possible that person has done it before and knows it is difficult to get caught as there are different carers everyday. Any advice pl! Thanks
have you talked to the banks fraud department? i had to cancel my husbands card when it was stolen in town. they actually replaced the money and put it back in our account. i think if its on a bank card, they put the money back in and sent new card out. they did the same when i got scammed.

OldTurtle

Jul 10, 2022
Has it ever happened to anybody, people who are supposed to care for the vulnerable and stole from them. My daughter mother in law has lost her debit card and money from her purse. Her son only knew about it when the bank contacted him and froze the account. Over £700 has already been spent. He is going in circle with the police. An interview was booked but when he turned up there was nobody to interview. He lives 2 hrs from her by train and her vascular dementia is so advanced you cannot have a conversation with her. She has carers four times a day and they still come everyday. Her son is going to change caring company. the care manager is not doing anything and waiting for the police report so is the bank. In the meantime whilst all these are going on it is quite possible that person has done it before and knows it is difficult to get caught as there are different carers everyday. Any advice pl! Thanks

Jan48, the same thing happened to me. I would suggest that your Mother in law never use a wi-fi connection in a public space. That is what did me in. I had the bank's software installed and ran it when I shouldn't have. Beware, Thieves can do a lot of damage before they finally get caught.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
The obvious senario is that whoever stole her card- unless you have bee told otherwise- will maybe have used it online, the numbers on the baak being all hey needed.
Hopefully the police will be able to trace via the bank andthe 'shop' and delivery address

( yes I know someone this happened to)

Some really heartless peope about, preying on one so vunerable

Jan48

Apr 25, 2022
The obvious senario is that whoever stole her card- unless you have bee told otherwise- will maybe have used it online, the numbers on the baak being all hey needed.
Hopefully the police will be able to trace via the bank andthe 'shop' and delivery address

( yes I know someone this happened to)

Some really heartless peope about, preying on one so vunerable
It has been used in the shop late night shopping and cash withdrawal. She kept her pin in a piece of water with her card. Her son never thought of taking her card from her that person also took £100 from her purse. He never expected they will steal from her the same people who are supposed to help.The police is involved and so difficult to get a proper interview as son does not live locally. They say they will turn up and do not, so many cancellations. The bank just blocked the card still have to chase to send replacement one to son address not hers. He has registered power of attorney. He changing carers my concerns are that person is going to do steal and get away from it. The police is nit taking it seriously the son is going in circles. I guess it is going to prove difficult who did steal from her.

DreamsAreReal

Oct 17, 2015
Lots of cash machines and shops have cctv nowadays. I really think you need to press the police on this, do they know the details of times and place of card usage? A carer who is stealing from vulnerable clients shouldn't be allowed to get away with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max69