Incontinence pants

Brickie

Oct 12, 2020
My OH has recently become totally doubly incontinent and I’m still finding my way through the hundreds of products on offer. I’ve found one that’s doing the trick apart from nighttime when there is a bit of urine leakage. Not sure if this is an issue of volume or we need a different more robust product. any suggestions on any aspect of this new phase would be appreciated.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
I used slips at night, rather than than pull -up pants. I bought online, from memory Vivactive and ID brands - something like Maxi or Ultra. The online sites will usually give you details of the absorbency in ml. I don't think there is a standardised measurement i.e "8 drops " on one doesn't equate to "8 drops" on another! Are you using Kylie sheet, or similar to protect the bedding?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My OH is not incontinent, but has a catheter and sometimes there can be "catheter malfunctions". A waterproof mattress cover and a kylie sheet have saved the day on numerous occasions.

Brickie

Oct 12, 2020
I used slips at night, rather than than pull -up pants. I bought online, from memory Vivactive and ID brands - something like Maxi or Ultra. The online sites will usually give you details of the absorbency in ml. I don't think there is a standardised measurement i.e "8 drops " on one doesn't equate to "8 drops" on another! Are you using Kylie sheet, or similar to protect the bedding?
Thanks.
I have a waterproof mattress cover, but not sure what a kylie sheet is. I’ll investigate ‘slips’

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi @Brickie
These are available in lots of 'shops' online

Wifenotcarer

Mar 11, 2018
Central Scotland
Have you an incontinence team locally you can approach?
I contacted the Continence Nurse at my GP's surgery who recommended and ordered suitable day time and night time products + special disposal bags. Thereafter these were delivered to our home monthly at no cost. When DH was later admitted to a Care Home the order was delivered there.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
We were referred to contince service just before Mum died. I had no idea it was an option until then! Referral, by phone, took 6 weeks, and I was told we could either have slips, or pull-ups, but not both. We'd been using pull-ups during the day and slips at night. They took several weeks to arrive, and when they did they were the wrong size. Our service provided Tena ones, which were a lower absorbency than those we had been using.
All academic, as Mum died 5 days before they turned up.
As with everything with dementia, it seems to be a lottery as to what you get.

Brickie

Oct 12, 2020
I contacted the Continence Nurse at my GP's surgery who recommended and ordered suitable day time and night time products + special disposal bags. Thereafter these were delivered to our home monthly at no cost. When DH was later admitted to a Care Home the order was delivered there.
I had no idea such a team existed. I sometimes feel after diagnosis, we’re just left to get on with it. Trial and error all at my OH’s (and my) expense both monetary and sanity.

Pots and Pans

Jan 13, 2020
We had Continence team very helpful. Gave us two sizes of pull-ups to try then ordered 2 months worth to be delivered. Referral just through GP. NB sent diary sheets etc before appointment but nurse totally understanding why I hadn't filled any in. Supposed to get pads first but again let us go straight to pull-ups when I explained how pads didn't work for OH .

Agree with others above. Kylie sheets super. However I had to put under sheet or OH tried to climb under. Bed sheet often wet but didn't need to strip mattress protector too. One set of sheet plus pad on, one set in wash.

Brickie

Oct 12, 2020
We’ve just had a trial with ‘slips’ after another contributor suggested, but how on earth do you stop them from sliding down or am I just doing them wrong? (I did watch a Tena utube video)