Any guidance or help

Sineadgeorge1

Jun 24, 2022
Hi
My mum has recently been diagnosed with vascular dementia (only 65) and has effectively been discharged from her local memory clinic. No help/ no support/ no guidance. Is this normal? Is it usual for this?
I have been referred to various charities/ help points but it’s really about maybe some help for her/ meeting people (I don’t think she would attend a day centre) or help for my dad who is struggling in coping with it all.

Many thanks

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
@Sineadgeorge1, what happens after diagnosis seems to vary from area to area but, yes, there is very little support after diagnosis and many people have limited, or no, follow-up at the memory clinic. At best, they might have a few appointments when the basic tests (e.g. the MMSE) are repeated to see how the scores have changed (if at all). The person is discharged into the care of his/her GP.

There is very limited medication for the dementia itself and it is not suitable for everyone. However, there are various medications to treat distressing symptoms (e.g agitation, distress, aggression) but, for some unknown reason, patients and their carers are not told about them and it isn't until the carer is really struggling that s/he finds out about them and they may be prescribed. These medications can make a huge difference to the PWD's behaviour and, therefore, the life of his/her carer. Different medications may need to be tried and the dosage adjusted before any improvement is seen.

I don't know whether you are aware of Admiral Nurses. They are there to support the carers of people with dementia.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My mum has recently been diagnosed with vascular dementia (only 65) and has effectively been discharged from her local memory clinic. No help/ no support/ no guidance.
The same thing happened to me with my mum. The memory clinic seemed to be mostly about diagnosis and "social concerns" did not seem to be part of its remit. It may be different in other parts of the country, but not where I am. I left the clinic with a fist full of leaflets, but one of them was from the Alzheimers Society and, like you, I found my way here. This forum has been my main source of support and advice and I have learned so much.

There is face-to-face support out there, but unfortunately you have to look for it. In my area there is a dementia hub which offers lots of facilities and help and there is also a local carers support, which I have found very helpful.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
My OH had an appointment with the memory clinic in the September and again in the March - then he was discharged. We got 1 phone call a year to ask if I was still happy with his meds!
Otherwise it a call to the Doctor.