Hallucinations

alisondeb26

Mar 8, 2022
My mum is still suffering from distressing hallucinations. These have been going on for 6 months . She complains of water and children in the walls of the house and that the ceilings have fallen and she is freezing and wet all the time . We have tried distraction, but it is relentless and she is constantly upset that no one is doing anything and the house is falling down. It has now extended to the garden with teenagers in the bushes and stealing the washing etc. These hallucinations can often go on for 8 hours a day . She has been prescribed rivastigmine patches and a low dose antipsychotic but neither have reduced the hallucinations. Does anyone have any advice ? TIA

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi @alisondeb26
How difficult for your mum and you
I can only suggest you let her GP know in detail, stressing that your mum is distressed for hours, and ask that her meds be reviewed

alisondeb26

Mar 8, 2022
Hi @alisondeb26
How difficult for your mum and you
I can only suggest you let her GP know in detail, stressing that your mum is distressed for hours, and ask that her meds be reviewed
thanks, GP just refer back to mental health unit who then call my mum in for appointment and ask her "So are you seeing things " ? which distresses her again!

KatyKat

May 8, 2022
My mum is still suffering from distressing hallucinations. These have been going on for 6 months . She complains of water and children in the walls of the house and that the ceilings have fallen and she is freezing and wet all the time . We have tried distraction, but it is relentless and she is constantly upset that no one is doing anything and the house is falling down. It has now extended to the garden with teenagers in the bushes and stealing the washing etc. These hallucinations can often go on for 8 hours a day . She has been prescribed rivastigmine patches and a low dose antipsychotic but neither have reduced the hallucinations. Does anyone have any advice ? TIA
Mine has also been suffering from nightmares and hallucinations. We're not sure what she's dreamed and what she's making up. Like your Mum, mine is freezing even in hot weather. For example, this weekend the temps hit 98 degrees and Mum complained she had to wear a jacket.

I never know what kind of upset I will find when I go to her house each morning. First, the neighbors are shooting at each other in the night; next someone has aimed a searchlight at her house all night long, keeping her awake; then the Catholic priest across the street is out to sue her for living on "church property". The latest hallucination/nightmare was a fear that Dad's sisters are going to have Dad exhumed and moved to a different cemetery without telling Mum.

The GP put her on a low dose of quetiapine (antipsychotic/sedative)... Sometimes, I think I see improvement. The only thing I can recommend is that if your Mum's problems get worse, be insistent with her GP that she either needs a higher dose of meds or a different med entirely. It's what I'll be doing if my Mum gets worse.

alisondeb26

Mar 8, 2022
Mine has also been suffering from nightmares and hallucinations. We're not sure what she's dreamed and what she's making up. Like your Mum, mine is freezing even in hot weather. For example, this weekend the temps hit 98 degrees and Mum complained she had to wear a jacket.

I never know what kind of upset I will find when I go to her house each morning. First, the neighbors are shooting at each other in the night; next someone has aimed a searchlight at her house all night long, keeping her awake; then the Catholic priest across the street is out to sue her for living on "church property". The latest hallucination/nightmare was a fear that Dad's sisters are going to have Dad exhumed and moved to a different cemetery without telling Mum.

The GP put her on a low dose of quetiapine (antipsychotic/sedative)... Sometimes, I think I see improvement. The only thing I can recommend is that if your Mum's problems get worse, be insistent with her GP that she either needs a higher dose of meds or a different med entirely. It's what I'll be doing if my Mum gets worse.
Thanks KatyKat, sounds like you have your hands full too x