Mom repeats my name over and over every 3 seconds

Linda from Canada

May 7, 2022
Ontario
Has anyone experienced this repeating of your name? And did it ever end? Mom says my name “Linda” “Linda” every 3 seconds in a normal tone. Lately she looks straight ahead and almost doesn’t notice me when she is saying it. If I say “stop saying Linda” then she starts repeating my sister’s name. Nothing can stop her. Only, the MP3 player with singing, stories, poems or sayings which we recorded together a few years ago. Then she sings or listens or says the poems. Going on for about 10 months, but lately getting worse. She's 95, we live together. I care for her 24/7. Normal talk is "good morning”, “why am I so tired”, “what should I do”, “what am I doing”, “where should I go”. Anything you can share is appreciated.

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
Has anyone experienced this repeating of your name? And did it ever end? Mom says my name “Linda” “Linda” every 3 seconds in a normal tone. Lately she looks straight ahead and almost doesn’t notice me when she is saying it. If I say “stop saying Linda” then she starts repeating my sister’s name. Nothing can stop her. Only, the MP3 player with singing, stories, poems or sayings which we recorded together a few years ago. Then she sings or listens or says the poems. Going on for about 10 months, but lately getting worse. She's 95, we live together. I care for her 24/7. Normal talk is "good morning”, “why am I so tired”, “what should I do”, “what am I doing”, “where should I go”. Anything you can share is appreciated.
My husband doesn’t do this but I have witnessed the repetition in a couple of others in his care home.

clare77

Oct 8, 2021
I believe repetition is quite common. My mum repeats letters over and over constantly unless she is having a conversation, then once the conversation stops she is straight back to the letters. She does a lot of word puzzles so she says letters a lot and I guess that’s where it comes from.
In your case as you are around her 24/7 maybe that’s why she’s repeating your name.

clare77

Oct 8, 2021
When my mum started with the repetition I was advised that the PWD is often not aware that they are doing anything. Certainly my mum has no idea what I’m talking about when I’ve tried to ask her about it, I’ve was advised not to draw attention to it.

Linda from Canada

May 7, 2022
Ontario
Yes, when I ask mom "what's wrong" or "what do you want" she says "what?" or "nothing" or some times she says "did I say that". You are right, she doesn't know that she is saying it. I try not to let it get to me, but when I have other problems and that's all I hear, then I could scream. But all I need to do is get the MP3 player and then she is calmed down. thanks for your comments

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
@Linda from Canada I never experienced this with dad but I am wondering if it is a comfort thing. If she is not agitated and seems happy I would just let her continue. I know this is no help to you whatsoever because you are on the receiving end. Dad used to twiddle his fingers constantly which drove me nuts but I found that if I could put it out of sight then I could cope. Maybe it would help if you listened to the MP3 player on the quiet so you can't hear her.

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
In mums care home there was a resident who constantly shouted out the name Mary who was her daughter I think. As my mums name was the same she was continually looking round at her wondering why she was calling. Poor mum got quite agitated at times.

DreamsAreReal

Oct 17, 2015
I agree with Duggies-girl, I think it’s a self soothing behaviour - like rocking, fidgeting or any other repetitive thing. Just my opinion, though. I found that gently stroking my mum’s hair helped to calm her when she was anxious. And no, I don’t think they are aware they’re doing it either.

Linda from Canada

May 7, 2022
Ontario
Thanks everyone for your input. This was my first post and it is nice to share with everyone and to know I'm not alone. This issue seems small compared to what others are going through. Luckily my mom is very good natured, never gets angry, and currently sleeps a lot. I want to keep her home as long as possible, and if possible let her die at home. It will be a long journey.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Thanks everyone for your input. This was my first post and it is nice to share with everyone and to know I'm not alone. This issue seems small compared to what others are going through. Luckily my mom is very good natured, never gets angry, and currently sleeps a lot. I want to keep her home as long as possible, and if possible let her die at home. It will be a long journey.
I kept my dad at home until the end and luckily he was the kindest, most good natured and quick witted man I have ever known, he was very funny and we had a lot of laughs, he also slept a great deal. It was a pleasure but also the hardest thing I have ever done. I wish you and your mum well for the future.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Yes, it can be a very long journey. My mother lived 15 and a half years after diagnosis but she had just turned 64 when she was diagnosed.

My mother also had some distressing (for me) habits. For months at a time, after she essentially stopped speaking, she would pound her fist on her wheelchair tray saying da da da da da over and over. I did realize at one point that one day she wouldn't speak at all and I wouldn't hear her voice again. That realization made me accept and cherish the sounds she did make.

More upsetting to me was the teeth grinding. It was so loud I could hear it 6 feet away. I was very worried that she would damage her teeth. She was completely unaware of what she doing.