CHC funding checklist - care home want to complete this

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
Ok, I know that there are zillions of threads about CHC but I think my query is from a different angle. I contacted a company who deal with this and they have said that they think my husband stands a good chance of getting this. When I mentioned that the care home had said that they would complete the checklist the company advised against this. This was on the grounds that care homes receive lower funding from those who have CHC and so it is not in their best interests to do a good job. The company asked some questions and as a result think that my husband scores severe on cognition, high on communications, high on mobility, possibly high on nutrition and possibly high on behaviour. Since the telephone discussion his appetite has returned and I know that he would not score high on nutrition: he eats and drinks but is very very slow.

If I’m honest I’m not sure that he is eligible at the moment. Today the care home have said that they are going to complete the checklist.

So, a few questions. Should I agree to the care home nurse doing this and if I find he’s not eligible does that mean we cannot try later on?

Secondly, and I think I know the answer to this one, should I be wary of a company, who sound good but are expensive, when they want to be completely in charge of the process from the outset.

Does anyone have experience of something like this? Should I agree to the care home completing the checklist?

I hope that my ramblings make sense because I’m not sure they do to me.

Confused of Northants!

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
With all due respect, have they met your husband? how can they form an assumption if not?

if they have used what you have told them, and they consider your assesment as good enough, why not get on and do it with the care home, at least the inital checklist. That wont cost you bean.

( Also Northants!)

Last edited:

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
With all due respect, have they met yourhusband? how can they form an assumption if not?

if they have used whatyou have told them, and they consider yourassesment as good enough, why not geton and do it with the carhome, at least the inital checklist. That wont cost you bean.

( Also Northants!)
That’s what I was leaning towards. I also think it’s interesting that following the phone call with the company which was six weeks ago there has been no further contact. I think they realised that I was a tad suspicious and more than a tad willing to pay their fees.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Which ever way you decide to go, the criteria for getting CHC is one priority, or two severes, so as things stand you would be unlikely to get it, although you would probably get the Funded Nursing Care portion.

I wonder whether the company realises that you are unlikely to get the full CHC (whatever they have said) and this is why they havent contacted you.

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
Which ever way you decide to go, the criteria for getting CHC is one priority, or two severes, so as things stand you would be unlikely to get it, although you would probably get the Funded Nursing Care portion.

I wonder whether the company realises that you are unlikely to get the full CHC (whatever they have said) and this is why they havent contacted you.
That was what I thought. I found it very strange to get the one communication then nothing. I will not be going down the route of using this company.

As the care home have insisted that my husband is in nursing care then I would hope to get FNC although I realise that this is not guaranteed.

If we do get it it is paid direct to the home. Does it follow that we will then get a commensurate reduction in nursing fees?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If we do get it it is paid direct to the home. Does it follow that we will then get a commensurate reduction in nursing fees?
It gets paid directly to the home, most homes do not pass it on regarding it as a contribution to having to have a qualified nurse on site 24/7.

Did the home increase the fee when they said he needed nursing care?

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
It gets paid directly to the home, most homes do not pass it on regarding it as a contribution to having to have a qualified nurse on site 24/7.

Did the home increase the fee when they said he needed nursing care?
Yes the fee was increased.

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
Just checked the contract and it states clearly that if we do get it then it will be subtracted from our fees. Every little bit helps so hope we get the FNC.

Thanks @canary ,@nitram and @Jessbow for your replies.

At least I now have something clear in my head. But I am still Confused of Northants!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Just checked the contract and it states clearly that if we do get it then it will be subtracted from our fees. Every little bit helps so hope we get the FNC.

As the home are charging extra for nursing care they should be able to prove that his nursing needs are variable and unpredictable to the extent that they cannot be met by the community nursing service.