Dark Days and Stormy Nights

KatyKat

May 8, 2022
It sounds like you are doing the best you possibly could in the circumstances.
Could the medication be "tweaked" in some way by the GP to improve things a bit more?
Sometimes with medication it can be a bit of trial and error as to what is best.
It's almost time to renew the quetiapine prescription, and I will ask the GP's office if they can up the dosage just a bit. My cousins have been thru similar troubles with my aunt (Mum's sister), and they had to try several different meds before there was any relief.

try again

Jun 21, 2018
You have my sympathy. I reached a crisis point last summer in the UK and got social services involved. My mother accepted carers, though she wasn't too keen but we promised they were for a period of 6 weeks. And of course it never stopped and she is mainly accepting now. It was good to be able to say I didn't organise it.
She's now rebelling against the frozen ready meals saying she can cook herself rather than the carer just heating up meals. She can't, she got into a foul mood on Friday and I just had to leave the house with her yelling for me not to come back ever. She was also complaining about the food I bought saying that most of it would be eaten by the other people. She lives on her own and got more frustrated to me asking which other people. I still feel the need to question some of the nonsense as sometimes behind all the odd words there is actually something that needs doing.
It's a thankless task trying to care for someone with dementia. My mum was also quite manipulative and my sister and I sometimes think she is more aware of her surroundings. Sadly I have run out of empathy for her.

KatyKat

May 8, 2022
You have my sympathy. I reached a crisis point last summer in the UK and got social services involved. My mother accepted carers, though she wasn't too keen but we promised they were for a period of 6 weeks. And of course it never stopped and she is mainly accepting now. It was good to be able to say I didn't organise it.
She's now rebelling against the frozen ready meals saying she can cook herself rather than the carer just heating up meals. She can't, she got into a foul mood on Friday and I just had to leave the house with her yelling for me not to come back ever. She was also complaining about the food I bought saying that most of it would be eaten by the other people. She lives on her own and got more frustrated to me asking which other people. I still feel the need to question some of the nonsense as sometimes behind all the odd words there is actually something that needs doing.
It's a thankless task trying to care for someone with dementia. My mum was also quite manipulative and my sister and I sometimes think she is more aware of her surroundings. Sadly I have run out of empathy for her.
It sounds as if "the other people" your Mum mentions might be the carers you hired to help out. My Mum says "NEVER" to strangers coming in to help, saying she's afraid of theft and people criticising how she lives.

I understand the concerns that go along with loss of independence, being disabled myself, but I've begun to think that Mum is not the classic case of Alzheimer's after all. I've caught her lying to me and laughing behind my back. My old p-doc said Mum seemed to be suffering from a severe undiagnosed mental illness. I'm beginning to think my doctor was right and my Mum is just plain crazy.

KatyKat

May 8, 2022
It sounds as if "the other people" your Mum mentions might be the carers you hired to help out. My Mum says "NEVER" to strangers coming in to help, as she's afraid of theft and people criticising how she lives.

I understand the concerns that go along with loss of independence, being disabled myself, but I've begun to think that Mum is not the classic case of Alzheimer's after all. I've caught her lying to me and laughing behind my back. My old p-doc said Mum seemed to be suffering from a severe undiagnosed mental illness. I'm beginning to think my doctor was right and my Mum is just plain crazy.

Libbybookworm

Apr 6, 2018

KatyKat

May 8, 2022
Hi @KatyKat I've just seen that you're in the US so may not have Hive there. I'm sure that there will be smart thermostats available there though. This is what I have: https://www.hivehome.com/shop/smart-heating/hive-active-heating?cid=ppc.cid_tool=goo.cid_ctype=bran.cid_cname=UK_Hive_Brand-Product_Search_Heating_Exact&icid=mname:mega-menu.iname:hive-active-heating
Thanks. Mum's thermostat is a programmable Honeywell -- a bit more complicated than what I'm used to. I ended up finding the manual online.

I think I have it all figured out now. In any case, I now have an 800 help number to call at Honeywell in case we have any more trouble with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonkeyFeet