ADVICE PLEASE RE: MUM BEING DISCHARGED BACK TO SAME CARE HOME!

Roman223

Dec 29, 2020
Hi all. I require advice please. Mum is still in hospital after having hip surgery over 2 weeks ago. She is not able to walk and can only stand for a short while on a rotunda, hence being nursed in bed. The hospital have said they will be looking to discharge her as a 'Hoist discharge' back to the same CH. I am worried that the CH do not have enough staff and can cater for mum's needs. Apparently the hosp O.T has spoken to the CH Manager and she has said that they can meet her needs. I ask the question "How" if they are purely a residential home and have not enough staff at present and have voiced to me many times that they cannot watch residents 24 hrs a day.... I am at present having numerous conversations with the hospital. Is it me that's not in the real world or can a residential home look after bed bound residents!?

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Hi all. I require advice please. Mum is still in hospital after having hip surgery over 2 weeks ago. She is not able to walk and can only stand for a short while on a rotunda, hence being nursed in bed. The hospital have said they will be looking to discharge her as a 'Hoist discharge' back to the same CH. I am worried that the CH do not have enough staff and can cater for mum's needs. Apparently the hosp O.T has spoken to the CH Manager and she has said that they can meet her needs. I ask the question "How" if they are purely a residential home and have not enough staff at present and have voiced to me many times that they cannot watch residents 24 hrs a day.... I am at present having numerous conversations with the hospital. Is it me that's not in the real world or can a residential home look after bed bound residents!?
Hi @Roman223
I can only go on my own experiences, but it sounds like your mum will need nursing care, the question is how will this be provided in a care home that is residential only, its not just about hoisting and mobility issues. Hospitals are under pressure to discharge once they have done what they can, the problem lies with lack of adequate places for people to be discharged to. I don't know what powers you have, but at the very least worth making your concerns politely but assertively known to both parties.

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
Yes they can. Before mum went into hospital she had to be hoisted. Do their beds have side rails? They will need to do a health & safety assessment to use them if not already.
Agree with all Palerider has said. We felt mum needed to have the medical presence of nurses to oversee her care.
When mum was in hospital & her needs increased (EOL) they wanted to discharge her back to her CH which was in special measure. We had serious doubts they could deal with her increased needs with all the issues they had going on & I asked the manager to come & do another assessment. She did & confirmed my doubts.
You could ask them to reassess but I’m not sure how it can be done with the restricted visiting.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Yes they can. Before mum went into hospital she had to be hoisted. Do their beds have side rails? They will need to do a health & safety assessment to use them if not already.
Agree with all Palerider has said. We felt mum needed to have the medical presence of nurses to oversee her care.
When mum was in hospital & her needs increased (EOL) they wanted to discharge her back to her CH which was in special measure. We had serious doubts they could deal with her increased needs with all the issues they had going on & I asked the manager to come & do another assessment. She did & confirmed my doubts.
You could ask them to reassess but I’m not sure how it can be done with the restricted visiting.
they can do it as long as they have a hoist and trained staff. they know to turn her if she doesnt move herself and moving and handling for pad changes. your mum . ask the manager direct questions and see what she says and how she acts. if nurses are needed then district nurses can do visits

Last edited:

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Roman223 , I think an honest discussion with the care home manager might help. Don't blame them but just say what you saw when your mother had your fall, explain how she is now and ask exactly how they will care for her when she returns. If you are still concerned talk to the hospital about what to do next. If your mother is self-funding you could look around yourself for a nursing home. However places are in short supply and you might have to consider somewhere that might not be easy to get to.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My mum was in a care home and the carers there used to hoist residents who could no longer walk, or weightbear. I have seen them using a Sara Steady and hoists, so there is nothing intrinsically wrong with someone who is bed bound being in a care home, rather than a nursing home.

Whether this particular care home is able to manage and meet your mums needs is a different matter. However, they have the right to refuse to have your mum back and many homes that are unable to meet previous residents needs use this opportunity to decline, so the home must feel that they can deal with it, even though they know that your mum has to be hoisted. Its a tricky matter, especially as you have lost confidence in them.

Can you speak to the hospital SW and see if there is anywhere else she could go?

Roman223

Dec 29, 2020
Thank you for all your replies and further advice. I will use this when I speak to the CH Manager of which I have been avoiding for obvious reasons! The hospital are aware of my concerns but they are only seeing it from a medical point. Mum's SW seems to have gone off the radar which is usually the case when something like this happens. Your left to deal with everything on your own ....

Roman223

Dec 29, 2020
Hi Canary Thanks for your reply. I haven't spoken to a SW at the hospital! The hospital have asked if mum had a SW. I am a bit confused as each time mum goes into hospital the current SW stops getting involved! I don't understand why. She only tries to deal with issues when mum is in the CH.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I am a bit confused as each time mum goes into hospital the current SW stops getting involved! I don't understand why. She only tries to deal with issues when mum is in the CH.
Thats because when your mum is in the hospital its supposed to be the hospital SW who deals with things. It sounds like the hospital either doesnt understand the procedure (quite likely) or is trying to fob you off.

Roman223

Dec 29, 2020
Thanks Canary. I did think that. But no one tells you anything. It seems you have to find information out yourself!

Recent Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27