So, what’s my Pauline been up to today?

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
From a small tatty photograph and via my PC I managed to create a postcard sized photograph of the dog Pauline had for (as she continuously tells me) she had for 18 years. This little pic is now sitting on the ledge above our fireplace and she constantly talks of him (Glen) to whoever is hear to listen. Given her enjoyment I searched out a recent photo of Pauline and then sent copies of both to one of my granddaughters who has created this drawing and so the only creation of Pauline along with Glen and as soon as Pauline saw it she blurted out, “that my Glen.”

Attachments

• 163DD812-9656-4AD5-BACA-4BE650C00A1D.jpeg
    163DD812-9656-4AD5-BACA-4BE650C00A1D.jpeg
    354.1 KB · Views: 146

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Had a brilliant afternoon singing together! As there was nothing on TV for her and rather than go to Netflix etc I paired my iPad with the TV and, using YouTube I searched Doris day songs with on screen lyrics and, magically, they appeared on the TV and she joined in with a gusto singing along happily. Finished of with Gilly Gilly Osenfefer etc by Max Bygraves which was real fun. Now to find more suitable songs for the future

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
Had a brilliant afternoon singing together! As there was nothing on TV for her and rather than go to Netflix etc I paired my iPad with the TV and, using YouTube I searched Doris day songs with on screen lyrics and, magically, they appeared on the TV and she joined in with a gusto singing along happily. Finished of with Gilly Gilly Osenfefer etc by Max Bygraves which was real fun. Now to find more suitable songs for the future
Well this has made me smile. Lovely memories to cherish.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
After a hectic week when we have donated our leather reclining suite to a worthy person who needs it more than us and got our two riser-recliners into situ eventually I really needed a break or rest but was to be disappointed. Pauline was a very agitated lady having had to use a camping chair as furniture for near 24 hours and kept it up even in GPs for booster jab on Thursday morning. Once home from that she seemed to relax and calmed down but then going up and down stairs to the loo and clearly had at least two accidents and wet herself then complained of stomach pains and yep, a water infection had kicked in. Given it was not too late I phoned the practice and was promised a GP call back that didnt materialise and so I just gave her paracetamol and plied her with lots of water until bed time. This morning I to contend with the infection fallout. And also a bad reaction from her Covid booster and emotions running high all day even when I got antibiotics from GP. Right after our evening meal she said she was exhausted and so went off to bed with just a small bathroom accident to say good night. So, not in the way I expected have have time to relax and chill with a large Jamison to keep me company and then I too will be having an early night.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent

Love this @Agzy

So sorry about the disruption caused by the new furniture and UTI.

Talk about swings and roundabouts!!

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
A funny old week and wether after affects of UTI or not Pauline is just sort of sad, weary and not motivated to do much at all. I just can’t get her to even join me on a circuit of ‘her’ walk around the block and a planned Dementia-together community walk had to be cancelled. Looking back in the past few weeks she has had Covid, her son and daughter in law were hospitalised, she has had a bad reaction to booster jab and the weather has been dismal and I too feel a bit down. All this has meant me taking on more and more household tasks on my own rather than sort of sharing them as we do were possible which I dont mind but worry it adds to more demotivation and her just sitting in her new armchair which incidentally she doesn't like.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It's not what you want with summer approaching @Agzy. Fingers crossed let's hope Pauline will recover from this apathy. She has had a lot to contend with and perhaps it's taking her longer than you'd hoped to regain her interest.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Had a phone call on the landline yesterday and as my hearing aids just aren’t compatible and hearing a female voice I presumed it was the continence nurse and began chatting about issues with Paulines medication and yes, I got it very wrong indeed. It turned out to be the manager of the housing association offering us a 3 bed sheltered flat in nearby high rise and this time at a height and facing the direction (views of Wales and sunsets over the Irish Sea) I immediately agreed to a viewing. We will be contacted next week about details but news has gone down like a lead balloon with P. Mind you as I am happy with where we are it took something to try to get her motivated but long silences and little verbal engagement since. Not sur if I need to be worried.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
is P willing to move? if she isnt, io think you are going to have this all the way through moving. sounds nice and the views will be good. has it a lift? we lived in a tower block and could see all over the docks and beyond.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
@Agzy, that sounds promising, though I'm with you on the misunderstanding front, due to hearing loss and not being able to use phones.
It sounds a bit mean, but might it be an idea to go and look at the place on your own and decide for both of you? I think how every lovely it is or potentially is Pauline might just say no. However if you just go ahead and organise it I'm sure she'll be happy with it in the end.
Your needs are as important as hers and if the house gets to much for you to manage you are both going to be in a right pickle.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
@Sarasa and @jennifer1967 thank you and both have cut across the issue as Pauline has now said she wants to stay and took some persuading to even view when date comes available. It is a high rise where I lived for a while over 50 years ago when rife with drugs etc but now transformed into sheltered housing flats with community centre etc and even a small walk through garden and lifts are also state of the art having been renewed when the block was renovated while those around it were demolished. Given the toilet accidents P already has. And our ages (fast approaching 80) the house we live in and love will become unsuitable just don’t know when but this opportunity may not come again for a long time as quite a list of applicants. My brain says yes and heart says no But will view it and if I like it will say yes and then rent both house and flat for a month or two for redecorating etc so ready for occupation and hopefully we will both warm to it as visit as the work is getting done.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
@Agzy , I think planning for the future is really important. Three years ago I wanted to move to a bungalow so that OH (who was losing mobility) would not have to worry about stairs and also to be nearer our children. At the time OH was having numerous tests up in London and I just did not have to time to organise it. I said to myself that once he had a diagnosis and the tests stopped we would move. But he didnt get a diagnosis and the tests didnt stop until we got into lockdown. He has now been discharged from the London hospital, but it is too late to move - OH would just not cope and I havent got time to sort it all out. I worry about what will happen when he can no longer get upstairs, but moving is now out of the question.

Pauline and your heart might say "no", but listen to your head. If you have the opportunity to move to somewhere which will make the future easier, grab it with both hands - I wish I had.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
im lucky as i rent a council house which they are willing to do the adaptions. the bathroom is done, the ramp is next and when we cant get up the stairs then we can have a stairlift fitted. i thought if we couldnt manage, we would have to move but was surprised that we can stay where we have been for almost 27yrs and bought the family up. i am very relieved as we would need 2 bedrooms and not sure that 2 bedrooms are that easy to get on with. its better to be prepared than anything. sounds lovely and just right for you @Agzy and you might need to just go ahead

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
….. has it a lift?
Very important point! The lift in the block of flats mum was in (council) would break down now & again & mum was effectively grounded until repaired. She could get down the stairs but not back up. Some kids got in the block & vandalised the lift on another occasion & it had to be replaced, was 6 months before it was done. Even the GP was a bit reluctant to come out after I said I couldn’t get her to him, knowing he had to climb 3 flights of stairs!

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Very important point! The lift in the block of flats mum was in (council) would break down now & again & mum was effectively grounded until repaired. She could get down the stairs but not back up. Some kids got in the block & vandalised the lift on another occasion & it had to be replaced, was 6 months before it was done. Even the GP was a bit reluctant to come out after I said I couldn’t get her to him, knowing he had to climb 3 flights of stairs!
one occasion, in a tower block i used to live in, some lads got a bit too drunk and one push another down the lift shaft as it was being repaired and left with a barrier around it. it was a good place for school pupils to skive as well.