A tracker to stop the worrying

Windy28

Jan 8, 2020
I've stopped worrying about his driving because he no longer drives and now I've started worrying about him and the dog out and about in the countryside. (At least I think he is in the countryside.)

Can someone recommend a really good mobile phone tracker to give me have an idea where he is while out walking.

Secondly, can someone recommend a way to tell my OH to take THE PHONE in the first place.

sapphire turner

Jan 14, 2022
Hi Windy I have put the Zenly app on my and OHs phones, it is free and works pretty well to see where they are and which direction they are walking. It has reassured me several times! I persuaded OH to have the app so that he can see where I am if I am out, so he doesn’t worry.
Making him take the phone with him is a whole other problem tho! He was more reliable but he has started to worry that he will lose it or someone will steal it and often leaves it at home. I try to do a checklist before he leaves the house to walk the dog (lead, poo bags, phone, keys) but he gets annoyed and says I am patronising and treat him like a child. It’s all such fun eh ???- good luck!

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
I used the free app Find My Device for my OH. I found it very reassuring to see where he was as there was several route he could have taken. I never had the problem with him willingly taking the phone, tho' I always checked to make sure he had it on him.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi @Windy28
As your husband is walking the dog maybe put a tracker on the dog's collar ... I did a search for pet tracker and it seems there are quite a few ... maybe a local pet 'supermarket' will have some to look at

Bettysue

Mar 21, 2020
I got a watch tracker for my partner as he was beyond using a phone. We told him it was a present from his daughter. I was then able to track him on my mobile. This worked well until it was unsafe for him to be out on his own. It was from a company called Techsilver .

Windy28

Jan 8, 2020
To all of you who sent me such good ideas and tips. Thank you so much, I will look into this.
Never thought to track our dog!!!

SueLM

Jan 22, 2022
I've stopped worrying about his driving because he no longer drives and now I've started worrying about him and the dog out and about in the countryside. (At least I think he is in the countryside.)

Can someone recommend a really good mobile phone tracker to give me have an idea where he is while out walking.

Secondly, can someone recommend a way to tell my OH to take THE PHONE in the first place.
I use find my phone on his iphone that i can check in my ipad is perfect. He is obsessed with having his phone with him at all times lol

Annafreckles

May 14, 2022
My dad was found by police 2 nights ago at midnight he's recently gone into independent living 5 mins up road from. His old flat and Is very confused. We did have the curve which would be ideal £20 for the item an app on your phone and £3a month subscription which was working but we need sonwthi g else now the only thing he takes out is his keys no phone no watch just a keyring one would work! Any recommendations please as he's still physically able to go out and I want him to be independent just worrying at night time wandering around. I found one simply called gps tracker for elderly on keyring on trackershop website but put of stock and apparently not cing back has really good reviews! Very disappointed x

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Annafreckles I wonder if this site might have some useful ideas for keeping your dad safe? You can put in what sort of tech you need and it comes up with suggestions. https://www.meetadam.co.uk/.
The wandering is a bit of a worry though. What have the people at Independent living said, as it sounds as though his needs might be too great for such a place. There comes a time, when as much as you want to keep someone with dementia independent they need someone around 24/7 and that usually means starting to think about care homes.