Dementia products after death

AH-daughter

Mar 21, 2022
Hi all, just wondered if there were any helpful suggestions about what to do with dementia products after the person passes. I have dementia clocks, cutlery (hardly used), plate (never used), plastic cups with lids not used, wheel chair (in excellent condition) etc. Any helpful suggestions welcomed Angela

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @AH-daughter . I’m sorry your loss has bought you here, but this is a very friendly and supportive place, and I’m sure you’ll get some very good suggestions.
My mother in law recently went into a care home. After a bit of ringing round a Red Cross depot took some things, such as spare walking frames, that she no longer needed. I don’t know if they’d take the items you mentioned, but maybe a local care home might be interested?

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
I sold my mother's expensive "tilt in space" wheelchair to a mobility shop - they paid about a quarter of the price, from memory. I gave her packets of unused continence pads to the care agency and they took other items too that they could give to their clients. Her clothes I gave to a charity shop, some bedding to a homeless charity.

AH-daughter

Mar 21, 2022
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @AH-daughter . I’m sorry your loss has bought you here, but this is a very friendly and supportive place, and I’m sure you’ll get some very good suggestions.
My mother in law recently went into a care home. After a bit of ringing round a Red Cross depot took some things, such as spare walking frames, that she no longer needed. I don’t know if they’d take the items you mentioned, but maybe a local care home might be interested?
Thank you Sarasa I will give them a try and thank you for your kind words. Angela

AH-daughter

Mar 21, 2022
I sold my mother's expensive "tilt in space" wheelchair to a mobility shop - they paid about a quarter of the price, from memory. I gave her packets of unused continence pads to the care agency and they took other items too that they could give to their clients. Her clothes I gave to a charity shop, some bedding to a homeless charity.
Thank you Nita for that advice about the mobility shop and the care agency. I will call them tomorrow. Thank you Angela

SamOakes14

Mar 17, 2022
Hi all, just wondered if there were any helpful suggestions about what to do with dementia products after the person passes. I have dementia clocks, cutlery (hardly used), plate (never used), plastic cups with lids not used, wheel chair (in excellent condition) etc. Any helpful suggestions welcomed Angela
Hi @AH-daughter I'm sorry to hear about your loss. When I lost my grandmother, we donated her walking frame and wheel chair to a local charity that caters to elderly and people suffering with dementia. We also donated some of her things to care home that she was staying in at one point and to a local hospice. If you also used a carer service, then they may be able to take some things. The best thing to do is ask if they will take these (most of them will) and see if they are in need of certain items that you are in possession of. As @Sarasa mentioned, Red Cross may be a good place to check too.