Care home - new rules

rhubarbtree

Jan 7, 2015
North West
Good morning everyone,

My husband's care home have just advised that we need to make an appointment to visit from now on.

I have replied to email saying I am not happy with this and asking for them to reconsider.

I am two days into covid and feeling very sensitive and brain addled and would really appreciate your advice and comments.

TIA

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
That's not good! Families should be allowed to visit whenever they want.

Not least, I always liked to turn up at unexpected times just to see what was going on. If they know you're coming...

rhubarbtree

Jan 7, 2015
North West
I think most care homes now expect that visits are arranged in advance and this is in line with current Government guidelines. https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...icies-for-visiting-arrangements-in-care-homes
Thanks for that Andy. Very helpful - so they are going by the rules. But the rules are stricter than last week which seems strange. Not quite sure how this will keep anyone safer, everyone has to be tested. Are these recommendations or law. Do you know if the care home has to abide by them? I rarely see another visitor when I visit my husband during the day.

rhubarbtree

Jan 7, 2015
North West
That's not good! Families should be allowed to visit whenever they want.

Not least, I always liked to turn up at unexpected times just to see what was going on. If they know you're coming...
Couldn't agree more Jaded. I vary the days I visit for that very reason .... But have you read the policies Andy has posted above. It could be coming to a care home near you.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I have visited 3 care homes in the last few weeks. All said when no covid outbreak visiting was unrestricted. One I saw yesterday said as an ecg during an outbreak it would still be unrestricted. I didn't ask the other as I'd already decided I didn't like it.

Both I saw yesterday were hoping rules would ease shortly in general around care homes.

Andy54

Sep 24, 2020
Thanks for that Andy. Very helpful - so they are going by the rules. But the rules are stricter than last week which seems strange. Not quite sure how this will keep anyone safer, everyone has to be tested. Are these recommendations or law. Do you know if the care home has to abide by them? I rarely see another visitor when I visit my husband during

Andy54

Sep 24, 2020
The guidelines are simply recommendations and the document does state that there are no nationally set "rules", it is up to individual care homes to set their own policies. However the CQC have previously stated that such guidelines are expected to be followed unless there are exceptional circumstances. Care homes have been placed in an almost impossible situation.

rhubarbtree

Jan 7, 2015
North West
I have visited 3 care homes in the last few weeks. All said when no covid outbreak visiting was unrestricted. One I saw yesterday said as an ecg during an outbreak it would still be unrestricted. I didn't ask the other as I'd already decided I didn't like it.

Both I saw yesterday were hoping rules would ease shortly in general around care homes.
It is hard looking at homes. You will know when you find the right one. I was in the same position a little over two years ago and was very pleased with the home I chose but it has changed very much over time. I cannot help but feel they are using covid to keep next of kin at bay. I am not an over fussy person and understand that my husband might sometimes be dishevelled because he resists personal care but I want to see what is happening, warts and all.

Be aware though that unrestricted might still mean you have to make an appointment.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
I always liked to turn up unannounced so that I could what was happening at The Banjoman’s care home but of course things are different at the moment.

rhubarbtree

Jan 7, 2015
North West
The guidelines are simply recommendations and the document does state that there are no nationally set "rules", it is up to individual care homes to set their own policies. However the CQC have previously stated that such guidelines are expected to be followed unless there are exceptional circumstances. Care homes have been placed in an almost impossible situation.
Thanks again Andy. It seems they have repeated these recommendations without consideration for family circumstances. It did say in my reply to them that I could understand if they needed notice of large groups visiting but a single visit does not cause great inconvenience. And inconvenience is the watchword as far as I am concerned. It seems, to me, that the care home is being run for the convenience of the staff. A certain attitude has crept in when they open the door and check my covid result email. I am made to feel like an infection carrying nuisance not someone who will do my husband's nails, cheer him up and entertain him for an hour or so.

I have not heard back from the home so hopefully they are reconsidering but if not you have helped me to understand the position.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
My days of care home visiting are over - mum died about 6 months before the outbreak of covid.

But I really don't like the sound of these rules at all. It's more like visiting someone in prison (just guessing!) than someone in a care home.

For the residents it is their home. It's not right that people are only allowed family visits when the staff see fit.

thistlejak

Jun 6, 2020
We have had booked visits since reopening after first lockdown at MIL Nursing Home - one 30 minute visit per resident per week, sometimes inside or Pod visits depending on rules at the time.
The manager/owner said last time that they are governed by local Public Health Lead as to how the rules are applied and the next review is due April.

Andy54

Sep 24, 2020
My wife's care home opened just as Covid hit so they have never actually had a pre Covid visiting policy to compare with. Their policy at the moment is more about managing number of visitors arriving at a given time rather than booking specific timed slots. I can to a point see the need to manage the number of people arriving at any one time, tests have to be done or checked, in the case of my wife's home a carer has to bring my wife down to the communal lounge/coffee bar or if I go up to her room a member of staff is needed to take me up (electronic key fob needed for lift & some corridor doors). Another question that will arise soon is what happens when free lateral flow tests are no longer available, will care homes still be able to get free tests for visitors or are we to effectively be expected to pay to visit (as tests no doubt will still be required).

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
My mum's new care home had very strict guidelines when she first moved there. Set days for visiting and having to book in. The visits took place in a downstairs room and were quite difficult as mum wanted to wander off.
For the last few weeks things have been much more open, but booking is still needed. At least I can see mum in her room, look around her floor and get to know the staff a it better. . Like everywhere I think they've been hit hard by the lack of carers, so I'm willing to cut them some slack.
I agree that I think homes have got used to not having visitors, but hopefully things will eventually get back to something that resembles normality.

rhubarbtree

Jan 7, 2015
North West
Thanks everyone for your replies. Seems that I am the only one who is allowed to turn up when it suits me. At the moment I am not willing to give this up. I have seen no reason to restrict visiting and will want them to tell me of incidents which have necessitated the change. I think in two years I have only ever seen about four other visitors. At the moment I enter the care home, masked, the carer and I collect my husband from whichever lounge he is in and we take him up in the lift. I could do this on my own but it is five minutes of their time. I return him to a convenient armchair on my way out.

I think you are correct, Sarasa, they have got used to not having visitors. I feel I am barely tolerated by the caring staff but have established a good rapport with the cleaner and the laundry person.

Also I am the only person who cares about me. I do not want a set appointment time. I need time to gather things together, take the test and make the journey, perhaps shop on the way, without worrying about the time. And what about people who rely on public transport or getting lifts?

Still no reply from the care home but I will update. Thanks once again for all your replies. I was in a very dark place yesterday afternoon when I received the email but you have thrown some light on the situation.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Mum's nursing home has visiting by appointments (excluding end of life) and to be honest I haven't got a problem with it. There are just myself and my brother who visit and the appointment system works well, but could see it might be a problem if there were more people wanting to visit.

I think the homes are damned if they do and damned if they don't, they can't please everyone all of the time

KPH

Mar 18, 2022
Finding it tricky to navigate care home visiting rules/restrictions at present. Outbreak in relatives care home at present. Having to make difficult decision to stay away due to clinical vulnerability and other relatives increased risks. Have been offered outside visit but relative is constantly wanting to 'go somewhere' so agree with home relative may become more agitated by moving through the home to outside space. Think it's very hard for the staff - massive pressures with staff and residents testing positive. No easy answers i'm afraid.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
I always liked to turn up unannounced so that I could what was happening at The Banjoman’s care home but of course things are different at the moment.
It is an important point. Most care homes do a fine job but the occasional situation in which a care home neglects or abuses residents is most likely to be detected by family members visiting without notice.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robbertm