Memantine

taliahad

Nov 22, 2021
Hello, my mother who has mixed dementia, quite advanced now has just been prescribed memantine. She was prescribed this drug years ago but refused to take it, this was when my dad was alive and taking care of her and he didn't push the issue, she further along the dementia path now. She also takes risperidone and I wondered how effective this mementine drug is, I'm not sure that it will assist much with her severe agitation and night time behaviour. Has anyone else had experience of this drug? Thank you.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
my husband takes memantine for the last 6 months to calm him down as he was angry and getting aggressive. he increased the dose each week to maximum of 20mg. he takes itat night as he says that it does make him sleepy. it has also calmed him down as well to a point he says hes happy, relaxed and contented. its not going to hurt to try it but remember it takes a few weeks to get the effect and for it to work.

taliahad

Nov 22, 2021
my husband takes memantine for the last 6 months to calm him down as he was angry and getting aggressive. he increased the dose each week to maximum of 20mg. he takes itat night as he says that it does make him sleepy. it has also calmed him down as well to a point he says hes happy, relaxed and contented. its not going to hurt to try it but remember it takes a few weeks to get the effect and for it to work.
Thank you Jennifer,I'm glad to hear that it has helped your husband. I hope it works for mum as well,

Rachael66

Jan 1, 2021
My mum has been on mementine for a couple months now but was taking it with donepezil that she was on since being diagnosed nearly 3 years ago. The consultant seemed to think the donepezil could work ok together but it made no difference to mums agitation so she’s been on mementine alone for about a month. But again, it doesn’t seemed to have changed anything. So they’ve now added Risperdone! I think she’s become even more confused though!! So disappointing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArthurPOA