Knife only used

Genie of the lamp

Jan 25, 2022
I am a new member and would like to say that I think this is a wonderful site
I cannot find any reference to somebody only using a knife to eat--anyone else encountered this?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @Genie of the lamp and welcome to Talking Point

I would guess that your person With Dementia (PWD) has forgotten how to use cutlery.
Have you tried meals that only require a fork (or spoon) to eat and giving her the fork/spoon in her right hand?

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello @Genie of the lamp and a warm welcome to DTP.
I’ve never heard of that personally but my husband only used a spoon, he was blind so it was easier for him..
I hope now you have found the forum you will continue to post for support and to share your experiences.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Genie of the lamp and a warm welcome to Dementia Talking Point. I am so glad you are finding it useful.
I'm sure someone who has encountered this problem will be along shortly. My mum is in a home and sue to covid restrictions I haven't seen her eat for a while, but I know my mother in law got very confused by cutlery when she was still at home and started using it very awkwardly. I usually eat with just a fork in my right hand. Do you think your person with dementia might manage with just a fork rather than a knife to eat with if they are fining both hands confusing. Finger food is also an option.
Cross posted with @canary

Genie of the lamp

Jan 25, 2022
Hi @Genie of the lamp and welcome to Talking Point

I would guess that your person With Dementia (PWD) has forgotten how to use cutlery.
Have you tried meals that only require a fork (or spoon) to eat and giving her the fork/spoon in her right hand?
Thanks for your ultra-prompt reply.
No she has not forgotten how to use cutlery and only tries to eat only with a knife occasionally---but I was very surprised to see this occurrence with spag bol

Genie of the lamp

Jan 25, 2022
Hi @Genie of the lamp and a warm welcome to Dementia Talking Point. I am so glad you are finding it useful.
I'm sure someone who has encountered this problem will be along shortly. My mum is in a home and sue to covid restrictions I haven't seen her eat for a while, but I know my mother in law got very confused by cutlery when she was still at home and started using it very awkwardly. I usually eat with just a fork in my right hand. Do you think your person with dementia might manage with just a fork rather than a knife to eat with if they are fining both hands confusing. Finger food is also an option.
Cross posted with @canary
I am hesitant to not provide all the cutlery--my problem is not helped by the fact that my partner(civil) is in TOTAL DENIAL that she has anything wrong and has been thus for two and a half years

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I didnt realise that this problem was only intermittent. Nevertheless I think it likely that she is beginning to forget how to use cutlery at times - Im afraid that it is something that goes with dementia. When abilities are lost, it is not usually an all or nothing thing - frequently it seems to flash on and off a bit like a light bulb failing before it finally goes out. It is also very, very common for people with dementia to be unaware that anything is wrong with them. My OH cant use a knife and fork now, so I do meals that only require a fork. I know we want to retain "normality" for as long as possible, but with dementia it is a constant series of compromises.

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
My poor old OH's cutlery skills seemed to disappear in the blink of an eye.

I now (usually) provide a spoon and fork although it seems only one or the other gets used. Casserole and the like, eaten using just a fork, takes forever so it's just the spoon. I cut up anything that would require a knife. Quite frequently, no cutlery gets used - just fingers if the food is vaguely 'pickupable'.

asriela

Oct 17, 2021
Yes, I just let my mother eat with her fingers and the i wash her hands. She wont use "baby wipes" as a napkin but will use a "moist towelette" - this is just the baby wipe of course called something different. She wont use anti bac hand gel but will use a "special cream for her hands", no commode but OK with "your special toilet".

My views on what is and is not acceptable in terms of behaviour, cleanliness and (to an extent) hygiene have changed considerably!

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
I have a couple of ‘sporks’, they look like a spoon with fork tines, I found them when I cleared out my Mum’s house so I don’t know where they came from, but they are very useful with sloppier food as my OH refuses to use a spoon and his cutlery skills are poor. He also will try and ‘spoon’ up food with his knife.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Mum went onto a spoon fairly easily, well, she refused to sit at a table so had most things on a tray.
When she lost the ability to use a spoon ( partially sighted) we went out for lunch one sunny day ( she suddenly voiced the urge to visit a local market town, so we did) and she thoroughly enjoyed a 'gravy dinner' in a pub garden, eaten completly with her fingers. Thre was only one other couple anywhere near us, and they didnt bat an eye ( fortunately)

She really enjoyed that lunch!

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I have a couple of ‘sporks’, they look like a spoon with fork tines, I found them when I cleared out my Mum’s house so I don’t know where they came from, but they are very useful with sloppier food as my OH refuses to use a spoon and his cutlery skills are poor. He also will try and ‘spoon’ up food with his knife.
you can get them on a well known internet site

Suesue.G.

Aug 9, 2020
My OH has been , steadily, losing the ability to use cutlery, normally. I have got him some with big, rubber handles, and he uses a spoon and, sometimes, a fork. I cut everything up for him, as his knife skills went quite early. I encourage him to use his fingers, whenever possible.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti