Online HSBC LPA Registration

pauldee

Mar 5, 2017
Has anyone had any experience of this? I filled in a rather unprofessional PDF form on the HSBC website, including all my father's information and the new check code of the LPA website, and submitted. I didn't get an email confirmation, so I phoned HSBC and they said it was in progress. But that was a week ago and I've had no kind of communication since. Has anyone successfully used this service? My father's health and the fact that the branches are now only in major cities means taking him into a branch isn't really and option.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
@pauldee - I don't have experience with HSBC but I just wanted to say I don't think you have to take the "donor" into the bank to register the LPA. You can take it yourself as the attorney. They hopefully will make a copy and give the original back to you. One bank took it away and didn't send it back for a long time.

If you're referring to the government website which gives you a code leading to the details of the LPA - this is not the full LPA just brief details so I think they might still need the complete thing.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
It depends on where you are and how easy it is to get yourself to a branch, but for what it is worth I just took the original copy of the LPA to a branch and the manager photocopied it without my partner needing to be there.

pauldee

Mar 5, 2017
@pauldee - I don't have experience with HSBC but I just wanted to say I don't think you have to take the "donor" into the bank to register the LPA. You can take it yourself as the attorney. They hopefully will make a copy and give the original back to you. One bank took it away and didn't send it back for a long time.

If you're referring to the government website which gives you a code leading to the details of the LPA - this is not the full LPA just brief details so I think they might still need the complete thing.
I was definitely given the impression I had to take the donor with me, I'll check. The online process said they just needed the check code. I think I've done everything right, they just haven't responded.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I don't think you have to take the "donor" into the bank to register the LPA.
No you dont. Book an appointment with the bank manager and ask what you need to bring with you - usually its the POA plus two forms of identification.
Dont rely on what the people at the desk tell you - they are not always accurate.

Edit to say - they always tell you that online - its what you have to do if the donor still has capacity and is allowing you to use the POA. But I expect that the reason you want to register it is because the donor no longer has the capacity to manage their finances.

Andy54

Sep 24, 2020
I would have thought that the bank would still need to check your id (photo id, proof of address etc) and obtain your personal signature. When I registered the LPA for my wife with HSBC I did this (alone) in branch by appointment. The bank copied the LPA and I had to provide suitable id. I seem to remember there were several forms that required my signature as attorney. It is not necessary for the donor to attend. Ask the bank in advance exactly what paperwork they need before you visit branch.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Not sure whether this is useful

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
I did all registration by post, there is no need to visit a branch. They might ask for a scan of your passport, driving licence, but you do not need to ho anywhere other that your nearest post box. I have had mixed results with the OPG code. Some big organisations that should do better do not recognise the code and ask for the document on paper. I usually send them the code in a letter and see if they argue.

Last edited by a moderator:

clarice2

Mar 13, 2016
Has anyone had any experience of this? I filled in a rather unprofessional PDF form on the HSBC website, including all my father's information and the new check code of the LPA website, and submitted. I didn't get an email confirmation, so I phoned HSBC and they said it was in progress. But that was a week ago and I've had no kind of communication since. Has anyone successfully used this service? My father's health and the fact that the branches are now only in major cities means taking him into a branch isn't really and option.
I made an appointment with my HSBC branch and had to take my copy of the LPA and identification for myself. I did not have the original LPA as that was kept with the solicitor. I was there quite a while, maybe an hour, as they copied the LPA and I had forms to sign. No problems and everything was fine.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear @pauldee,

It's best to make an appointment with the manager to register the POA or you may be able to do it by post which is what I did with some of dad's banks. I never registered either of dad's POAs online so I don't have experience of this but I can tell you that dad never had to attend in person.

MaNaAk

Last edited by a moderator:

pauldee

Mar 5, 2017
Dear @pauldee,

It's best to make an appointment with the manager to register the POA or you may be able to do it by post which is what I did with some of dad's banks. I never registered either of dad's POAs online so I don't have experience of this but I can tell you that dad never had to attend in person.

MaNaAk
How do I go about making an appointment to go into the bank these days?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Banks are still open. I just walked in, went to the queries desk and asked to book an appointment with the manager. Explain that its about POA and ask what you need to bring with you.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Banks are still open. I just walked in, went to the queries desk and asked to book an appointment with the manager. Explain that its about POA and ask what you need to bring with you.
This is what I did although I had to write to the banks where dad had postal accounts.

MaNaAk

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Many large financial institutions have a POA department at headquarters. I have found them much better than local staff, probably because they deal with POA issues all the time and know what they are doing.

pauldee

Mar 5, 2017
Many large financial institutions have a POA department at headquarters. I have found them much better than local staff, probably because they deal with POA issues all the time and know what they are doing.
Any idea how I contact HSBC's POA department?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976