Cooker care

Dee20

Jan 23, 2022
Hi I hope I've got the right message board for this issue. I look after my elderly dad who has bad memory problems. I've noticed a few burnt spoons and pans recently and it really worries me that he is leaving the electric cooker on and wandering off. I've left a huge note on the wall above the cooker but I've also read about heat detectors like Tekview Envirotxt that send a text and gadgets that turn the cooker off after a while like Unicook Airis. The problem with my dad and the Envirotext is that he unplugs everything which is good in one way but not in this case! The Envirotxt product is supposed to detect changes in temperature but seems to be more used if there is a power cut than sudden heat rise. He does have a good smoke alarm which I test every time. He doesn't use the cooker for much just quick easy cooking and also uses the grill but I do use the oven when I go there twice weekly. Has anyone any experience of products they have used around this concern or just any tips on getting the message across about not leaving the cooker when it's switched on? Many thanks for any help.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Dee20. I’m afraid I have no personal experience of this issue but I wondered if this factsheet would contain any helpful thoughts -

There’s also this from Age UK.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Dee20
a warm welcome from me too

I think, sadly, you are right to be concerned. It's unlikely that you'll find a way to get your dad to stay by the cooker when it's on and turn it off as soon as he's finished cooking, if he is already doing those things.

he is becoming a danger to himself ... might it be time to look into home care visits to help him with meals and some chores

I have no experience of the tech you mention ... might it be worth checking with some local electricians for ideas

my dad too would turn off everything ... I found that if I covered over the socket boxes it became a case of out of sight out of mind

Dee20

Jan 23, 2022
Thank you very much for your warm welcome and helpful replies Izzy and Shedrech. There is a lot to consider and it is really good to have your help.

Antdad

Jan 31, 2022
When my mum started leaving the gas on and I noticed a few items were getting scorched or I was managing to save them from completely carbonising that was it. The solution isn't for everybody and of course you want him to keep his independence for as long as possible but I was in a position to insist on no more cooking unless supervised or a switch to a microwave or perhaps an induction plate. I believe some induction hobs/plates have overheat and safety cut outs so that might be worth looking in to for piece of mind. Good Luck.

try again

Jun 21, 2018
I switched mums off at the circuit breaker about two weeks ago for that reason. She hasn't noticed yet and as she can't use the microwave, the carers now microwave all her food. She still insists she can cook, but cannot even make a cup of tea so I very much doubt she can.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
I had a quick search on this and didn't come up with an easy answer. Ideally you need s timer that cuts the power after a predetermined time but to do that for a cooker would require a relay as well as the timer and an electrician would have to install this.

There may be other approaches. An induction hob is safer, could a freestanding single ring be sufficient enabling the cooker to be locked out of use? Lockable switch covers are available.

Roman223

Dec 29, 2020
Hi I hope I've got the right message board for this issue. I look after my elderly dad who has bad memory problems. I've noticed a few burnt spoons and pans recently and it really worries me that he is leaving the electric cooker on and wandering off. I've left a huge note on the wall above the cooker but I've also read about heat detectors like Tekview Envirotxt that send a text and gadgets that turn the cooker off after a while like Unicook Airis. The problem with my dad and the Envirotext is that he unplugs everything which is good in one way but not in this case! The Envirotxt product is supposed to detect changes in temperature but seems to be more used if there is a power cut than sudden heat rise. He does have a good smoke alarm which I test every time. He doesn't use the cooker for much just quick easy cooking and also uses the grill but I do use the oven when I go there twice weekly. Has anyone any experience of products they have used around this concern or just any tips on getting the message across about not leaving the cooker when it's switched on? Many thanks for any help.

Roman223

Dec 29, 2020
Hello Dee20 I've just come across your post. Hopefully this may help. I researched this when mum was back at home. You can get what's called a 'lockable gas valve' which will cut off all gas supplies on the cooker. It is a special tap that various companies will install for free relating to PWD! If you Google lockable gas valve it should bring up companies that will install this. It's a piece of mind if you go out the PWD will not be able to switch the gas cooker on. I hope this is useful.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
A cut off valve is supplied by the energy provider ie the company actually supplying the gas in the local area. For where my mum lived, South Manchester, it was Cadent.

Incidentally, although they supplied and fitted it at no cost, they did not want it back and would not come to remove it when we were getting the house ready to rent out. I had to pay a local gas engineer.