Alternative Testing?

Lilye

Oct 15, 2016
Hi Everyone,
This is probably a silly question as I have not been able to find an answer to it on the Gov. website but thought it was worth asking anyway.
The LFT is very difficult to do on some people with Dementia my Mum being one of them.
At the moment Mum is unfortunately in a care home and while we can take her out it does mean she would have to have a test 1 a day for 7 days afterwards which would be far to distressing for her as she does not have the understanding to know about Covid.
Up until this newer outbreak it was 1 test carried out on her return which she did find distressing but thankfully it was only the once and over quite quickly and as Mum needs to be taken out, as she has no mobility in her legs so cannot walk around the home or garden, the outing is certainly needed.
I did see online that the tests, after a visit outside, does state 1 every other day for 10 days so I assume the care home prefers to shorten that length of time which I understand.
My question is are there any other ways of taking this test? As a family we agree that we cannot put Mum through this for 7 days and that is just taking her out once a week!
I guess not but it must be very hard not only for Dementia sufferers but also other people with health or learning needs.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I don't think there is an alternative test @Lilye If there is I haven't heard of one.

The advice from the Alzheimers Society is here

but mainly addresses visiting.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
I don't know how your mum has only been tested once - my dad has been tested monthly (or weekly when they have had an outbreak) for probably a year now. Most LFTs are a nasal swab but the PCRs are definitely throat as well. Does the home just not test? I thought they had to!
I see this same problem with kids though - some parents are getting kids to blow their noses and use the 'discharge' for testing but this is not how it works - you're not collecting snot, you are scraping the inside of the nasal passage. So far I've not heard of a test that is less invasive.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
The newer ''Just nose' is far easier, I 'd be tempted to try.

my 3 year old grandaughter doesnt like it either, but it has to be done.

We hold it hand over hand and tickle her nose

Lilye

Oct 15, 2016
I don't think there is an alternative test @Lilye If there is I haven't heard of one.

The advice from the Alzheimers Society is here

but mainly addresses visiting.
Thank you Grannie G.

Lilye

Oct 15, 2016
The newer ''Just nose' is far easier, I 'd be tempted to try.

my 3 year old grandaughter doesnt like it either, but it has to be done.

We hold it hand over hand and tickle her nose
That is a good idea Jessbow and the carer does try to distract her but Mum still knows what's coming unfortunately.

Lilye

Oct 15, 2016
I don't know how your mum has only been tested once - my dad has been tested monthly (or weekly when they have had an outbreak) for probably a year now. Most LFTs are a nasal swab but the PCRs are definitely throat as well. Does the home just not test? I thought they had to!
I see this same problem with kids though - some parents are getting kids to blow their noses and use the 'discharge' for testing but this is not how it works - you're not collecting snot, you are scraping the inside of the nasal passage. So far I've not heard of a test that is less invasive.
Mum is tested weekly but if we were to take her out, since this new strain, it would mean she has to have a test on her return and one per day for 7 days which is to demanding on Mum. Personally I think the throat test is much better than having the nasal one especially for Mum. The care home are hoping that they can soon revert back to the one test on return then Mum only has to go through it twice a week which includes the regular one.