Mum tested positive for Covid in Care Home

Frank24

Feb 13, 2018
Well, 2022 getting off to a bad start. My mum has tested positive for COVID although seems well in herself apart from a temperature.
Positive stories please. Dreading the 14 isolation I've been told she must do. For her. Last time they were restricted she lost her speech.
Anyone got any advice how I can stay sane for the next two weeks.
Thanks,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I’m so sorry to hear this @Frank24 I’m also surprised at 14 days isolation. I thought it was now 7 days

Do you think sending your mum greetings cards would help to keep her stimulated. The staff might have time to talk to her about them

The only positives I’ve heard is the symptoms are milder than with previous variants

I hope you’ll soon be able to visit

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Frank24, my mother in law came down with Covid in her care home in mid-December and my mum caught it in her care home last week. My husband went to see his mother yesterday as the home has re-opened, though visits are no longer taking place in residents rooms. He thought his mum was much as usual, though he also thought having to wear a mask meant she wasn't really sure who he was. The picture he showed me in the jumper we'd bought her for Christmas was encouraging. Being somewhere with 24 hour care is obviously so much better than how she was this time last year when she was at home with carers three times a day. My mum is isolating in her room but I've been assured she's drinking a lot. She is on high calorie shakes as she doesn't eat a lot now, so I guess she isn't wasting away. She is also sleeping a lot, but she did that anyway.
Both have advanced dementia and both will be 94 this year. In fact it's my mother in law's birthday tomorrow.

Peony21

Dec 27, 2021
Hi @Frank24,

I'm very sorry to hear your news. I just posted a similar thread in the "I care for someone with dementia" section before I was yours. So now maybe we can cross reference. It's a really horrible feeling isn't it? I'm hoping that I'll be able to at do a video call with mum tomorrow. I'm not sure she understands that she's got covid and when I spoke to her earlier today, she her usual, so I'm just going to have to keep everything crossed. Though, like you, I am wondering about what I'm going to have to do not to get lost in my head worrying. I know that won't help anyone! I guess we might at least try to get some good rest tonight as we know they're currently doing ok. Worth a try. Not sure if I'm trying to sell the idea to you or me!

Take care and wishing a speedy recovery for your mum and holding on to sanity for you.

Frank24

Feb 13, 2018
I’m so sorry to hear this @Frank24 I’m also surprised at 14 days isolation. I thought it was now 7 days

Do you think sending your mum greetings cards would help to keep her stimulated. The staff might have time to talk to her about them

The only positives I’ve heard is the symptoms are milder than with previous variants

I hope you’ll soon be able to visit
Yes I’m wondering if it is different due to the setting? I was so shocked when I spoke to the nurse I didn’t think to ask any questions ? when I speak to them I have a list of questions… wondering if I can arrange a video call. I’ve asked waiting for hear x

Frank24

Feb 13, 2018
Hi @Frank24,

I'm very sorry to hear your news. I just posted a similar thread in the "I care for someone with dementia" section before I was yours. So now maybe we can cross reference. It's a really horrible feeling isn't it? I'm hoping that I'll be able to at do a video call with mum tomorrow. I'm not sure she understands that she's got covid and when I spoke to her earlier today, she her usual, so I'm just going to have to keep everything crossed. Though, like you, I am wondering about what I'm going to have to do not to get lost in my head worrying. I know that won't help anyone! I guess we might at least try to get some good rest tonight as we know they're currently doing ok. Worth a try. Not sure if I'm trying to sell the idea to you or me!

Take care and wishing a speedy recovery for your mum and holding on to sanity for you.
Dreadful isn’t it? From the moment you notice symptoms of Alzheimer’s your life becomes one big stress and worry. My mum is quite advanced so won’t understand the fact she’s not sitting in the sitting room area with the other ladies. I fear further deterioration. The nurse did say she seemed fine. It’s so sad because even without COVid my mum is clearly anything but fine… x

Frank24

Feb 13, 2018
Hi @Frank24, my mother in law came down with Covid in her care home in mid-December and my mum caught it in her care home last week. My husband went to see his mother yesterday as the home has re-opened, though visits are no longer taking place in residents rooms. He thought his mum was much as usual, though he also thought having to wear a mask meant she wasn't really sure who he was. The picture he showed me in the jumper we'd bought her for Christmas was encouraging. Being somewhere with 24 hour care is obviously so much better than how she was this time last year when she was at home with carers three times a day. My mum is isolating in her room but I've been assured she's drinking a lot. She is on high calorie shakes as she doesn't eat a lot now, so I guess she isn't wasting away. She is also sleeping a lot, but she did that anyway.
Both have advanced dementia and both will be 94 this year. In fact it's my mother in law's birthday tomorrow.
Double the worry with two mums in care. I am sorry. 94! Wow… shame your mum will be on her own for her birthday xx

Brizzle

Mar 1, 2019
My mum who has quite advanced mixed dementia has been in hospital since late November with a broken ankle. She was still waiting her booster jab ( was house bound) prior to admission despite having received her second Astra Zeneca as far back as early March 2021. I was amazed that given her vulnerable condition and the risk of omicron and contracting covid while in hospital she was not then given her booster within the first few days of admission. After chasing up continually she finally got the booster a few days ago.... too late to help with a covid infection however as a day or two later both she and 2 other ladies out of 4 in her ward contracted covid. I have seen her general condition decline whilst in hospital and now this happens . Very worrying times for everyone and I can only empathise with you.

Peony21

Dec 27, 2021
Hi @Frank24, I know what you mean about the life of stress and worry.

I spoke to one of the nurses just now and mum's doing OK and sleeping, which is good as she's usually insomniac. Hopefully our mother's will not get very ill as it's omicron but I hate the idea of them being stuck in their rooms for 2 weeks. My mum had horrendous delirium during hospital admissions last year, so I'm praying that doesn't happen again.

I'll be dropping in on TP over coming days, so will check in to see how you're doing.

A thought, in case you fancy doing something similar.....I know I can't visit mum but am going to drop off a card and some edible treats, maybe something cuddly too....she might not remember they're from me but will at least make feel I've done something nice for her.

Take good care x

Frank24

Feb 13, 2018
My mum who has quite advanced mixed dementia has been in hospital since late November with a broken ankle. She was still waiting her booster jab ( was house bound) prior to admission despite having received her second Astra Zeneca as far back as early March 2021. I was amazed that given her vulnerable condition and the risk of omicron and contracting covid while in hospital she was not then given her booster within the first few days of admission. After chasing up continually she finally got the booster a few days ago.... too late to help with a covid infection however as a day or two later both she and 2 other ladies out of 4 in her ward contracted covid. I have seen her general condition decline whilst in hospital and now this happens . Very worrying times for everyone and I can only empathise with you.
How frustrating!!! I know the hospitals have a lot on but I don’t think our PWD are served well at all by the system

Frank24

Feb 13, 2018
Hi @Frank24, I know what you mean about the life of stress and worry.

I spoke to one of the nurses just now and mum's doing OK and sleeping, which is good as she's usually insomniac. Hopefully our mother's will not get very ill as it's omicron but I hate the idea of them being stuck in their rooms for 2 weeks. My mum had horrendous delirium during hospital admissions last year, so I'm praying that doesn't happen again.

I'll be dropping in on TP over coming days, so will check in to see how you're doing.

A thought, in case you fancy doing something similar.....I know I can't visit mum but am going to drop off a card and some edible treats, maybe something cuddly too....she might not remember they're from me but will at least make feel I've done something nice for her.

Take good care x
Yes I’ll be posting g something later. Glad to hear your mum seems to be doing ok. My mum is also apparently. I did question the reason that it’s 14 days not 10 if you live in the community and they couldn’t give me a reason… does anyone know?

Chaplin

May 24, 2015
Bristol
Yes I’ll be posting g something later. Glad to hear your mum seems to be doing ok. My mum is also apparently. I did question the reason that it’s 14 days not 10 if you live in the community and they couldn’t give me a reason… does anyone know?
Hi, if your mum is in a care home, you can be classed as an ECG, (essential care giver). Care homes should be offering this to all residents but for reasons they can’t justify, are often choosing not to!

ECGs can visit even during an outbreak. They will ask you to do weekly PCR test and also an LFT each time you visit.

You should stress you want to offer emotional support to help your mum through any isolation period. If the home refuse, please tell them politely but firmly it is government guidance. If they refuse, you must report to CQC. (Care Quality Commission). Hope your mum stays well,

Peony21

Dec 27, 2021
Hi all,

Thought I'd clarify re ECG visits. It's true that ECGs can still visit in an outbreak except if the ECG or person they are visiting has tested positive. It's in the government guidelines updated on 30th Dec. Hope that helps x

Peony21

Dec 27, 2021
I spoke to manager today when I dropped things off for mum. Poor woman is at her wits end....they're still waiting, despite daily chasing and holdingon phone, for pcr test results from 31st Jan. At the same time, social services are putting pressure on them to take new residents, despite active cases in the home. I can't imagine many relatives would be happy about their PWD being placed in a care home during an active, multi resident outbreak. I certainly wouldn't accept it if it were my mum.

Frank24

Feb 13, 2018
Hi, if your mum is in a care home, you can be classed as an ECG, (essential care giver). Care homes should be offering this to all residents but for reasons they can’t justify, are often choosing not to!

ECGs can visit even during an outbreak. They will ask you to do weekly PCR test and also an LFT each time you visit.

You should stress you want to offer emotional support to help your mum through any isolation period. If the home refuse, please tell them politely but firmly it is government guidance. If they refuse, you must report to CQC. (Care Quality Commission). Hope your mum stays well,
Hi there
I am an ECG. You can’t visit someone whose positive for COVid though.

Frank24

Feb 13, 2018
I spoke to manager today when I dropped things off for mum. Poor woman is at her wits end....they're still waiting, despite daily chasing and holdingon phone, for pcr test results from 31st Jan. At the same time, social services are putting pressure on them to take new residents, despite active cases in the home. I can't imagine many relatives would be happy about their PWD being placed in a care home during an active, multi resident outbreak. I certainly wouldn't accept it if it were my mum.
It’s a mess isn’t it as there will be people stuck in hospitals who can’t go home. I’m not sure what would do if you didn’t have another alternative.

Chaplin

May 24, 2015
Bristol
Hi all,

Thought I'd clarify re ECG visits. It's true that ECGs can still visit in an outbreak except if the ECG or person they are visiting has tested positive. It's in the government guidelines updated on 30th Dec. Hope that helps x
Thank you but I wasn’t aware I said anyone with COVID could visit as surely they would be isolating anyway.

Bearz77

Jan 18, 2020
My mum tested positive last Wednesday. The care home told Dad she would need to isolate in her room for 14 days, but she became distressed because she wanders along the corridors all day long. So, since one of her “friends” also tested positive they are allowing them both to wander the corridors together, while keeping them separate from other residents. Am so glad they haven’t tried to keep her in her room. I have asked about ECG status for my dad (who lives near the home) but they say due to his limited mobility he wouldn’t be able to provide the personal care someone with ECG status will be expected to provide. Due to the outbreak we’ve not seen her since Christmas Eve, though a pod visit is scheduled for 22-1 which seems ages away. Just trying to arrange a video call now. I imagine it will only be short, but better than nothing.

Andy54

Sep 24, 2020
My mum tested positive last Wednesday. The care home told Dad she would need to isolate in her room for 14 days, but she became distressed because she wanders along the corridors all day long. So, since one of her “friends” also tested positive they are allowing them both to wander the corridors together, while keeping them separate from other residents. Am so glad they haven’t tried to keep her in her room. I have asked about ECG status for my dad (who lives near the home) but they say due to his limited mobility he wouldn’t be able to provide the personal care someone with ECG status will be expected to provide. Due to the outbreak we’ve not seen her since Christmas Eve, though a pod visit is scheduled for 22-1 which seems ages away. Just trying to arrange a video call now. I imagine it will only be short, but better than nothing.
Essential caregivers do not have to provide any personal care. The "essential care" can just be companionship and/or emotional support.