Mum early dementia ? We’re waiting referrals / assessment

Chris2112

Dec 13, 2021
Hi. My mum (75) had gone from being fit and well to being very confused most of the time, having an extremely poor short term and now medium term memory in the last 10 days or so. It started with a few random statements / conversations to now not remembering what she did earlier that day or where the dog food is. I know this sounds like small issues to others experiences but it’s so upsetting to see my mum change so quickly from a totally independent lady to someone who we have to almost put to bed so we know the front door is looked.

She’s had a couple of urine tests and there’s no infection present.

I suppose I’m looking for some sort to way to make some sort of sense of it all. Which is unlikely.

We’re waiting for a memory centre / test / referral to happen but we’re considering a private assessment as may get things moving quicker - has anyone else done this ?

Any help or advice is gratefully accepted.

Many thanks.

Chris.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Chris2112 Welcome to Dementia Talking Point.

I’m sorry to read about your mum, it sounds very worrying. I see you’ve check for urine infection but has your mum had any other checks to see what could have caused the problems. My dad had blood tests to rule out vitamin deficiencies or thyroid problems from his GP practice.

One thing I noticed with my dad was he became very confused if he got dehydrated and a drink of squash could perk him up immediately.

I don’t know of anyone who went for a private assessment. Would this mean she would no longer get help from the NHS if she started down the private road?

Your mum would still be entitled to a needs assessment from social services if you feel that she needs help at home. You don’t need a diagnosis for this.

Chris2112

Dec 13, 2021
Hi @Chris2112 Welcome to Dementia Talking Point.

I’m sorry to read about your mum, it sounds very worrying. I see you’ve check for urine infection but has your mum had any other checks to see what could have caused the problems. My dad had blood tests to rule out vitamin deficiencies or thyroid problems from his GP practice.

One thing I noticed with my dad was he became very confused if he got dehydrated and a drink of squash could perk him up immediately.

I don’t know of anyone who went for a private assessment. Would this mean she would no longer get help from the NHS if she started down the private road?

Your mum would still be entitled to a needs assessment from social services if you feel that she needs help at home. You don’t need a diagnosis for this.
Hi.

Thank you for the reply.

She’s had a blood test and we’re waiting for the results. So fingers crossed it’s something else.

I think the a private assessment would speed things up like it does with something like a private cardiac assessment, well I’m hoping so anyway, but it’s mostly for piece of mind so we know what we’re dealing with.

We need to arrange the social services visit. Luckily she lives in the same road as us so we can be there as often as we can. The main issues is locking the door at night so myself or my wife go up and kind of encourage her to bed so we can help out in a natural way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife