Pay outright for a funeral when PWD still here.

silver'lantern

Apr 23, 2019
Having capacity isnt an all or nothing thing @silver'lantern - you can have capacity for one thing and not for another. It also doesnt mean that they have capacity if they are still able to say no. They have capacity if they are able to understand the question, remember it long enough to consider it, make a decision and understand the consequences. Many people with dementia are unable to do these things and therefore simply say "no" because it is the safer option.
morning @canary yea Iunderstand that. But its not as easy as saying yes you can or no you cant. There are other things like capacity to concider I was meaning. I maybe should have said 'an informed no'? The person I care for has 'no' as default most of the time (that i ignore ;) ) but given information and time he has understanding and I cant over rule his decissions just because I have LPA. He prefers not to as its the easy option. But on important stuff he will eventually come up with an answer that i have to respect. he hasnt said outright no, he wants time to think....he just cant think quickly, he needs time to process that i have to respect.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
morning @canary yea Iunderstand that. But its not as easy as saying yes you can or no you cant. There are other things like capacity to concider I was meaning. I maybe should have said 'an informed no'? The person I care for has 'no' as default most of the time (that i ignore ;) ) but given information and time he has understanding and I cant over rule his decissions just because I have LPA. He prefers not to as its the easy option. But on important stuff he will eventually come up with an answer that i have to respect. he hasnt said outright no, he wants time to think....he just cant think quickly, he needs time to process that i have to respect.
Hi. Dad doesn’t have capacity for this. He understands that he will die but that’s about it. His capacity has diminished a lot over the last few months tbh.He still thinks he can walk( hasn’t in months)

silver'lantern

Apr 23, 2019
Hi. Dad doesn’t have capacity for this. He understands that he will die but that’s about it. His capacity has diminished a lot over the last few months tbh.He still thinks he can walk( hasn’t in months)
yea TNJJ thats when LPA comes in. I was just making a point that for some it might not as simple as yes you can, for future readers that might have a similar situaion. I wasnt undermining any one elses reply at all. just adding to the conversation.
best wishes