Bed wetting/pull up leaking at night

SteptoeSister

Oct 13, 2021
Hi I am new to this forum.

I have been caring for dad with dementia for 10 years and now also mum who is virtually immobile. My latest problem is that dad has recently become urinary incontinent. He is under the GP and on waiting list for Bowel & Bladder clinic.

During the day it is mostly manageable, I can change them and he doesn't take them off but at night I am not there and even when his pull up stays on all night the bed is wet. I've already cut down on liquids after tea-time. He refuses to try a wee before bed and seems to go more by night than by day. I've tried putting pants over the top to secure the pull up in place but they get removed.

Is it unreasonable to expect a Tena Maxi pull-up to last all night?
Has anyone found a successful alternative to these?
What success have people had with pyjama incontinence shorts and are they easily removed by the wearer?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I can't help with this but many members here have experienced the problem. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to offer suggestions.

:)

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
I've had some success with ID MAXI slips for Mum. I think slips are more absorbent than pull-ups. You could try an adult sleepsuit (does up at the back) if you find that you dad is fiddling with the pants. Are you using a Kylie pad (or similar) on the bed?

Bettysue

Mar 21, 2020
My partner has pull ups at night but is still wet in the morning. I use Kylie pads in the bed so that there is not a complete bed change every day. I don’t know what the answer is …would welcome suggestions too.

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
Hi there. My dad had the same problem until a carer suggested he try a product called Conveen. It's basically a sheath that attaches to an overnight bag. It's made it so much better for dad. It does still leak overnight occasionally if dad pulls at it but maybe once a fortnight rather than every other night. We got it through the district nurse continence team though, so I'm not sure of you can get it privately in the meantime while you're on the waiting list?

SteptoeSister

Oct 13, 2021
I've had some success with ID MAXI slips for Mum. I think slips are more absorbent than pull-ups. You could try an adult sleepsuit (does up at the back) if you find that you dad is fiddling with the pants. Are you using a Kylie pad (or similar) on the bed?
Thank you. Yes Kylies on bed ?

SteptoeSister

Oct 13, 2021
Hi there. My dad had the same problem until a carer suggested he try a product called Conveen. It's basically a sheath that attaches to an overnight bag. It's made it so much better for dad. It does still leak overnight occasionally if dad pulls at it but maybe once a fortnight rather than every other night. We got it through the district nurse continence team though, so I'm not sure of you can get it privately in the meantime while you're on the waiting list?
Thank you, I will look into this ?

SteptoeSister

Oct 13, 2021
Just thought I’d post an update. Thanks Iollyc, I’ve been using the slips ‘nappies’ now for several weeks with probably about a 50/60 success rate so am grateful for your tip.
I was reluctant at first as didn’t think dad would oblige but to my surprise he accepted them without question and whilst they are a faff to get on whilst standing up the absorbency is much better.
The only wet beds now are those when he decides to discard during the night.
If anyone else is reluctant I definitely recommend giving them a go.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
Just thought I’d post an update. Thanks Iollyc, I’ve been using the slips ‘nappies’ now for several weeks with probably about a 50/60 success rate so am grateful for your tip.
I was reluctant at first as didn’t think dad would oblige but to my surprise he accepted them without question and whilst they are a faff to get on whilst standing up the absorbency is much better.
The only wet beds now are those when he decides to discard during the night.
If anyone else is reluctant I definitely recommend giving them a go.
@SteptoeSister, I'm glad you are having at least some success. Have you investigated a sleepsuit option? That would stop him taking them off in the night. It's not something we've had to resort to, but I know others on here have found them useful.
This sort of thing:

Suze83

Dec 2, 2021
Hey, glad it's resolved a fraction. I look after full time my mum with dementia.

Although it is hard to get a continence assessment these days, it might be worth reaching out to the community nurses.

Also, cutting down on fluids isn't necessarily the answer. Peeing more at night can be a symptom of other things physically. And I know it sounds common sense contrary but sometimes drinking more will make the urgency factor and small dribble bit become less. Fluid balance is massively important as dehydration can exacerbate confusion.

I got my mum into using the slips at night as she found them much more comfortable and I try and do a 4hrly toileting regime - as in, let's just go and try shall we? She seems to respond to that.

?

Last edited by a moderator:

SteptoeSister

Oct 13, 2021
Thank you @lollyc . Again I have been reluctant, I am worried he will get frustrated if he can't remove the sleepsuit. Having having given it some more thought following your prompt I have decided nothing ventured nothing gained and I have some on order to try.

SteptoeSister

Oct 13, 2021
Hey, glad it's resolved a fraction. I look after full time my mum with dementia.

Although it is hard to get a continence assessment these days, it might be worth reaching out to the community nurses.

Also, cutting down on fluids isn't necessarily the answer. Peeing more at night can be a symptom of other things physically. And I know it sounds common sense contrary but sometimes drinking more will make the urgency factor and small dribble bit become less. Fluid balance is massively important as dehydration can exacerbate confusion.

I got my mum into using the slips at night as she found them much more comfortable and I try and do a 4hrly toileting regime - as in, let's just go and try shall we? She seems to respond to that.

?
Thank you for your comments

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
Thank you @lollyc . Again I have been reluctant, I am worried he will get frustrated if he can't remove the sleepsuit. Having having given it some more thought following your prompt I have decided nothing ventured nothing gained and I have some on order to try.
Trouble is you can never tell how they will take to things, can you? But he accepted the slips, so fingers crossed. Keep us posted.
Is your dad on any medications? Might be worth asking his GP if you can adjust the timings, if they could be part of the problem.

SteptoeSister

Oct 13, 2021
i think it is what you drink rather than how much. some drinks go through more than others
Trouble is you can never tell how they will take to things, can you? But he accepted the slips, so fingers crossed. Keep us posted.
Is your dad on any medications? Might be worth asking his GP if you can adjust the timings, if they could be part of the problem.
He’s a type 2 diabetic which doesn’t help and had full reviews recently by GP and hospital. They’ve managed to rule out diabetes insipidus and are going to modify his meds to gain better control of his blood sugars which may or may not contribute. I will mention timings as you suggest. Currently he has UTI! All very tricky balancing act. Thanks again for your input. I will keep you posted about sleepsuit. Hope you and yours are well