Constipation

Bettusboo

Aug 30, 2020
I’m trying to help my dad, who has dementia, to treat constipation- the symptoms are overflow diarrea. The GP has advised 4 sachets Of Laxido a day and if that doesn’t work to increase the amount to 8 until it does. My problem is, how do I know when it ‘works’. After two days in the sachets, he still has diarrea but it isn’t solely liquid which was the case. I will ask the doctor but wonder whether there is anyone with experience of this. Also, the doctor is advising ongoing use of 1 sachet of Laxido to per day - is this helpful in other people’s experience?

The second issue relating to this is that we would like to try Memantine again for my Dad. Last time we tried we stopped because he got chronic constipation. My hope is to try to get this under control and try the Memantine again. Is this realistic ?

I will of course discuss this with GP and memory clinic and have already. However, I’d love to hear from anyone with experience as it really is quite a tricky one.

I don’t live with my Dad but have come to stay with him to put the treatment in place. He has daily carers but that isn’t enough to properly monitor the situation.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Ive had to deal with overflow diarrhoea, so you have my commiserations
You get this when the constipation becomes so bad that the liquid stuff behind seeps around the edges of the blockage. You will know when the Laxido has worked because all the solids come out - with OH there was so much that it blocked the toilet :oops::eek:
He too has to take one sachet a day which does seem to work.

CAL Y

Jul 17, 2021
I’m trying to help my dad, who has dementia, to treat constipation- the symptoms are overflow diarrea. The GP has advised 4 sachets Of Laxido a day and if that doesn’t work to increase the amount to 8 until it does. My problem is, how do I know when it ‘works’. After two days in the sachets, he still has diarrea but it isn’t solely liquid which was the case. I will ask the doctor but wonder whether there is anyone with experience of this. Also, the doctor is advising ongoing use of 1 sachet of Laxido to per day - is this helpful in other people’s experience?

The second issue relating to this is that we would like to try Memantine again for my Dad. Last time we tried we stopped because he got chronic constipation. My hope is to try to get this under control and try the Memantine again. Is this realistic ?

I will of course discuss this with GP and memory clinic and have already. However, I’d love to hear from anyone with experience as it really is quite a tricky one.

I don’t live with my Dad but have come to stay with him to put the treatment in place. He has daily carers but that isn’t enough to properly monitor the situation.
My husband had the same problem.
One of his carers said, oh no not Laxido. That stuff is weapons grade.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My OH needed "weapons grade"
We'd tried other, "gentler" remedies, but by the time he reached overflow, I think we needed dyno-rod!!

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
They don't put that on the happy, smiley "Living Well" leaflets, do they.

Bettusboo

Aug 30, 2020
Ha ha. No, definitely not in the Living Well leaflets. My Dad is being quite private about his movements and so it’s very hard to gauge. When I asked about it he said, ‘ I don’t know, I don’t weigh it’. My only gague is what is in his pants. Sorry this conversation is so delightful but that’s the reality of being a carer sometimes.

CAL Y

Jul 17, 2021
This “ delightful conversation “ is reality for many of us.
Why do we have to be so coy about it. Why aren’t carers recognised for what they do.
Because we keep quiet and put up with it. It’s just not good enough.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
They don't put that on the happy, smiley "Living Well" leaflets, do they.
Maybe that poster/leaflet should show a person with dementia tramping poo footprints round the house, wiping poo-hands on the curtains and putting a soiled pad in the fridge...

Wildflowerlady

Sep 30, 2019
Brings back memories of my dad @Jaded'n'faded . Pads were hidden around the house in drawers wardrobe behind boxes. Poo on stairs, bathroom floor, walls and in pedal bin ( in effort to encourage dad not to hide them I put bin with dad and his name on). The other thing dad used to do was wrap his pooey flannels on the warm pipe in his airing cupboard. I'm actually glad my mum never got to see how bad he got as she passed 5 years earlier without dementia.