Morning meltdown over laundry/washing machine

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
even when not needed as there is only the two of us I can reluctantly put up with washing machine going on every morning for full 60deg 1 hour cycle. last 12 hours has seen a three item wash last night before bed, a reasonable load this morning and now just as washing taken out to dry, three items, one a handkerchief but deemed a ‘white wash are merrily churning around, agin on full cycle. Well I tried calmly explaining why not and tried diversion and delay but got full angry screaming and yelling reaction and now sullen silence. Small thing and daft thing but just feels like the last straw! Rant over, back to Sudoku and silence Thank you.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Oh dear! Your bills will be astronomical @Agzy.

Is there any way the washing machine could ‘break down’ or suddenly become temperamental and fail to function occasionally.

Perhaps it may need a full load to accept a programme?

I suppose it will depend where the plug is. Mine is unreachable inside the unit.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Switching it off at the mains (if possible) might help @Agzy If not that, can the water supply be turned off and the message given that it is 'broken'.? Then when really needed you could 'fix' it as a demonstration of your prowess as an engineer! It might not be worth it if a bad mood results.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
My dad went thru a phase of washing a very small load (smallest was a pair of underpants!) everyday. I couldn't persuade him otherwise so I took to hiding the laundry in the garage so he never had any dirty washing to deal with. To my surprise he never looked for it.

Would something like this work with Pauline?

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Oh dear! Your bills will be astronomical @Agzy.

Is there any way the washing machine could ‘break down’ or suddenly become temperamental and fail to function occasionally.

Perhaps it may need a full load to accept a programme?

I suppose it will depend where the plug is. Mine is unreachable inside the unit.
Nice idea Sylvia but she would demand an immediate fix via engineer at best or new machine at worst ?

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Switching it off at the mains (if possible) might help @Agzy If not that, can the water supply be turned off and the message given that it is 'broken'.? Then when really needed you could 'fix' it as a demonstration of your prowess as an engineer! It might not be worth it if a bad mood results.
I dont think I could take the resultant outpouring of rage if today is anything to go by as she knows well I am rubbish at DIY repairs ?

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
My dad went thru a phase of washing a very small load (smallest was a pair of underpants!) everyday. I couldn't persuade him otherwise so I took to hiding the laundry in the garage so he never had any dirty washing to deal with. To my surprise he never looked for it.

Would something like this work with Pauline?
@Bunpoots she threw out the laundry basket as she believed it was getting dirtier sitting in there and so ALL items for laundry must be by or in the machine and then she decides which and when gets washed but is just obssed by using it and dreading the power bills.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
What a nightmare @Agzy . I remember dad driving me and my daughter mad with his laundry obsession - but at least he had to foot the bill - not me.

I wonder if the washing machine could be “broken” for a while? Could you use a local laundry service (or helpful relative if you have such a person) to do the laundry for a couple of weeks and see if the obsession passes? Or even manage to “mend” the machine miraculously every time there’s a full load?

I’m thinking of something really sneaky like putting a spare plug in the socket for the machine and hoping Pauline doesn’t notice there’s no cable on it (I’d move something to directly underneath the socket so it’s not obvious and hide the real plug behind something else). Or is Pauline always in the kitchen?

Clutching at straws here!

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
What a nightmare @Agzy . I remember dad driving me and my daughter mad with his laundry obsession - but at least he had to foot the bill - not me.

I wonder if the washing machine could be “broken” for a while? Could you use a local laundry service (or helpful relative if you have such a person) to do the laundry for a couple of weeks and see if the obsession passes? Or even manage to “mend” the machine miraculously every time there’s a full load?

I’m thinking of something really sneaky like putting a spare plug in the socket for the machine and hoping Pauline doesn’t notice there’s no cable on it (I’d move something to directly underneath the socket so it’s not obvious and hide the real plug behind something else). Or is Pauline always in the kitchen?

Clutching at straws here!
I am trying a written and pinned on fridge-freezer rota of what and when. It seems to have worked this morning as she checked each towel with me as today is, wait for it - Towel Day! Yet another straw ?

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
No helpful advice here- but - my step son has laundry obsession. Tiny little loads with only a few items, can’t mix different people’s washing, separate all colours and whites, AND - all clothes have to be taken outside and given a good shake before they go in the machine. ?. !!!!! I dread your electric bills, our fixed rate deal has just expired and the new rates are more than 50 percent increase. Good luck with the new ‘system’ , hope it helps.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
No helpful advice here- but - my step son has laundry obsession. Tiny little loads with only a few items, can’t mix different people’s washing, separate all colours and whites, AND - all clothes have to be taken outside and given a good shake before they go in the machine. ?. !!!!! I dread your electric bills, our fixed rate deal has just expired and the new rates are more than 50 percent increase. Good luck with the new ‘system’ , hope it helps.
? System was perfect while it suited her but this morning…..Daja vu :oops:

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
Oh dear, we can’t win can we, we have too much washing or struggling to get them to wash at all, not sure which is worst. My gripe today is the short days- has made my OH much more restless and anxious. We go from no talking at all, getting an answer to a direct question can take several attempts, to ‘verbal diarrhoea ‘. Spring feels a long way away.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Oh dear, we can’t win can we, we have too much washing or struggling to get them to wash at all, not sure which is worst. My gripe today is the short days- has made my OH much more restless and anxious. We go from no talking at all, getting an answer to a direct question can take several attempts, to ‘verbal diarrhoea ‘. Spring feels a long way away.
Know what you mean about the ‘short day’ syndrome, although in Paulines case it is the repetitions of informing me from about 3 o’clock in the afternoon that it is getting dark already, and this from a lady who insists on the blinds being closed in case the sun gets in her eyes or spoils the TV picture! ?