Is this usual and what stage are we at?

Pennyc

Nov 26, 2020
Hi all.
Just some advice.
My dad has mixed dementia Alzheimer’s and vascular. I feel he is in the advanced stages but I may be wrong. He’s been spending weeks in bed sleeping nearly all day and also at night. Until this week….he’s now up and dressed by 7am!! Is it normal for someone to just revert back to to getting up early? He still doesn’t know who I am and keeps saying he’s going home when he is home and needs help to get dressed and shower etc which is why I think he’s in the advanced stages. But the reversal of sleep has confused me.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Pennyc.

Your dad probably is in the later stages but really who knows? There is no true explanation for the change in his behaviour which is why we live from day to day not knowing or understanding what may happen tomorrow.

I know we all try to make sense of this illness but for every theory you may get there are probably 100 more.

It will be interesting to hear what others say.

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
Infections can make people sleepy. It’s possible that your Dad had an infection that has cleared on its own.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
The vascular aspect can result in what's known as a stepped progression - a sudden drop followed by a levelling out - so it could also be that.

Seeking 'home' can be a symptom of anxiety brought on by the increased confusion. The 'home' being sought is the childhood parental home where the person felt secure. Reassurance may help with this, as may a chat with the GP to assist with any anxiety(common with dementia).

My wife is medicated for depression and anxiety as well as her dementia.

Ton3

Dec 2, 2019
Hi @Pennyc

we have fluctuations with my wifes Mother who also has mixed Dementia (AZ & Vascular) she can change from day to day and can be as bright as a button one day and asleep almost the whole of the next (we notice she sleeps much much more if she has a UTI and that is a flag for us to seek antibiotics, I have added post today about that pallaver!!) so yes it is part of the disease as far as we can tell although we have no idea at what stage she is with these constant ups and downs and we try to make the most of the "better days"
wishing you well.....

caqqufa

Jun 4, 2016
Hi all.
Just some advice.
My dad has mixed dementia Alzheimer’s and vascular. I feel he is in the advanced stages but I may be wrong. He’s been spending weeks in bed sleeping nearly all day and also at night. Until this week….he’s now up and dressed by 7am!! Is it normal for someone to just revert back to to getting up early? He still doesn’t know who I am and keeps saying he’s going home when he is home and needs help to get dressed and shower etc which is why I think he’s in the advanced stages. But the reversal of sleep has confused me.
As the condition progresses (or regresses), they loose concept of time and place and the past becomes embroiled in the present with no set pattern. For months on end any form of decent sleep was just a wish.