Grieving about Mum’s dementia

Poppy26

Sep 22, 2021
I just had a need to say how I am really struggling to witness my Mum’s late stage dementia. Am not her carer but visit and support several times a week, people think because it has been progressing for a few years it would become easier but it doesn’t. There is only a tiny bit of Mum left and she is declining quickly. What a cruel disease it is and my heart is breaking - such a terribly tough time. Sometimes, like today, the grief is overwhelming. Thanks for listening.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear @Poppy26 ,

You may consider yourself not be your mum's carer but you are such a loving daughter that this makes no difference to your grief. You must tell yourself that you are doing your best. My dad had Alzheimers and I used to tell myself that at least he's not in pain. Be gentle with yourself and remember your mum is proud of you.

Hugs

MaNaAk

Manhatten

Apr 7, 2020
I just had a need to say how I am really struggling to witness my Mum’s late stage dementia. Am not her carer but visit and support several times a week, people think because it has been progressing for a few years it would become easier but it doesn’t. There is only a tiny bit of Mum left and she is declining quickly. What a cruel disease it is and my heart is breaking - such a terribly tough time. Sometimes, like today, the grief is overwhelming. Thanks for listening.

Manhatten

Apr 7, 2020
I feel for you my husband has dementia and slowly I am loosing him he’s only 72 which is no age just be there for her such a cruel disease

karenbow

May 24, 2021
dear poppy my mum is late stage too- i have just been told she is end of life and i ve struggled to see mums alzheimers progress through the years then suddenly as you say there is very little left . my mum is in a nursing home has been there for 3 months and i dont think any of us on this forum want see to our our parents go through this awful disease- it does help that we can come on here and realise we are not alone with this but i have to say i never thought it would be as cruel as it is-sometimes im not too bad but other days like yesterday when i saw mum it was so upsetting and sad- i dont know if mum knows me or what she is thinking, she can hardly talk now but i still see love in her eyes when she looks at me- i know this is not much help to you but i find using the forum is a bit of support and we can say how we feel big hugx

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Hello @Poppy26

The feelings can be overwhelming when we love someone who has dementia. It can be hard to talk to people about if they haven’t been through it but you are among friends here who really do understand how you feel. Keep posting and telling us how you are. Lots of us out here to listen, help you along and give you virtual hugs.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello @Poppy26

The feelings can be overwhelming when we love someone who has dementia. It can be hard to talk to people about if they haven’t been through it but you are among friends here who really do understand how you feel. Keep posting and telling us how you are. Lots of us out here to listen, help you along and give you virtual hugs.
For me this forum was a lifesaver.

MaNaAk