CHC (Continuing Healthcare) support thread

Watchbattery

Apr 29, 2012
Please don't waste your money appealing through firms advertising they can get it for you.
The key to CHC funding ids the unpredictability of the nursing needs of the person. So this would be their health needs being really unpredictable or their behaviour. Either has to be in the extreme rather than something that is hard work.
Generally most people in EMI homes (secure nursing homes) are CHC funded and that tends to be around behaviour and the challenging nature of it.

These firms have the same chance you do in appealing the CHC DST (Decision Support Tool).

Hope that helps a little.
Thank you, it does. It would be a lot of money if he still didn't get it. It is just that I have heard that it is almost impossible to get, and these firms assure you that their name will ensure that the CCG knows they are up against experts and more likely to capitulate. Not sure about that! I have now read the Decision-making toolkit, and I will study it some more.
It reminds me of filling in the form for Attendance Allowance. Got that.
Meanwhile it seems that the day care is opening up again post covid so I might get the odd day off phew!

Watchbattery

Apr 29, 2012
I’m afraid that some authorities award it only for end of life patients and if the patient then rallies and gets stronger, it’s taken away!
Warmest kindredx
Oh dear that sounds terrible! It reminds of when I had cancer. Thank you for replying. x

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I’m afraid that some authorities award it only for end of life patients and if the patient then rallies and gets stronger, it’s taken away!
Warmest kindredx
If care needs are no longer met by social care the responsibility becomes nhs funded .
Nice Guidelines
legally binding but families are made to fight for this
Just done the battle & funding given.
EOL funding is 3 months then reassessed - CHC funding then is put into place under meeting nhs healthcare needs it cannot legally be taken away.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Hi @DesperateofDevon, well done on winning the CHC battle. I would really appreciate you saying which specific NICE guidelines you found to be helpful. Thank you.
Yes of course
DEDA0947-0CEC-415A-A11C-C5E7FBD8DAB2.png

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Please don't waste your money appealing through firms advertising they can get it for you.
The key to CHC funding ids the unpredictability of the nursing needs of the person. So this would be their health needs being really unpredictable or their behaviour. Either has to be in the extreme rather than something that is hard work.
Generally most people in EMI homes (secure nursing homes) are CHC funded and that tends to be around behaviour and the challenging nature of it.

These firms have the same chance you do in appealing the CHC DST (Decision Support Tool).

Hope that helps a little.
You are right but, and it is a significant but, not everyone is good at the sort of work required in challenging officialdom and arguing the toss about definitions, degrees of difficulty and so on. Some people do need help from a solicitor, consultant, or advocate of some sort.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
You are right but, and it is a significant but, not everyone is good at the sort of work required in challenging officialdom and arguing the toss about definitions, degrees of difficulty and so on. Some people do need help from a solicitor, consultant, or advocate of some sort.
The legal obligations set out are very clear , stick to the basic principles & don’t accept any denials of obligations .
I honestly would be happy to help anyone, as reform will only happen when PWD & carers have the full facts & are able to access the care to meet needs

Lone Wolf

Sep 20, 2020
Thank you very much @DesperateofDevon and @nitram for the links. Just when one is managing to keep afloat in the stormy seas of caring for a loved one with dementia, along come funding issues to intensify the stress and anxiety. All comments, advice & insights on CHC are very much appreciated. Thank you everyone.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Thank you very much @DesperateofDevon and @nitram for the links. Just when one is managing to keep afloat in the stormy seas of caring for a loved one with dementia, along come funding issues to intensify the stress and anxiety. All comments, advice & insights on CHC are very much appreciated. Thank you everyone.
my Own PWD journey to access funding is documented in my own recent thread if it helps at all.
The ups , downs & pitfalls we navigated.
CHC diagnostic tools are open to interpretation by each assessment panel. Being very pushy & asking for written documentation of all decisions makes you a complete pain in the bottom region & having a factual legal position to argue made it too uncomfortable for the usual excuse used atm - ie covid ?‍♀️

Eogz

Sep 9, 2021
100% with you on that one.
To be clear I was recommending people don't go to these advertising firms and seek an established solicitors firm, who should give clear advice on whether an appeal is valid.
I wasn't very clear about that and apologise for any misunderstanding.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
100% with you on that one.
To be clear I was recommending people don't go to these advertising firms and seek an established solicitors firm, who should give clear advice on whether an appeal is valid.
I wasn't very clear about that and apologise for any misunderstanding.
Continually battling the system is exhausting , but the office of public guardian should have a duty to ensure LPA’s are supported in the quest for access to meet care needs. The effect on health & welfare plus finances LPA’s are responsible for, yet we are cast adrift on our own seemingly; but if as LPA’s we behaved as Social care system we would be under investigation by Office of Public Guardian.

Eogz

Sep 9, 2021
Continually battling the system is exhausting , but the office of public guardian should have a duty to ensure LPA’s are supported in the quest for access to meet care needs. The effect on health & welfare plus finances LPA’s are responsible for, yet we are cast adrift on our own seemingly; but if as LPA’s we behaved as Social care system we would be under investigation by Office of Public Guardian.
Too true, it's a quagmire of bad practice and cost savings wherever they are found, much to the cost of the person who needs some help. I doubt the uplift from National Insurance will be much help.

Yorkshire gal

Oct 17, 2021
Yorkshire
Great idea to group all the CHC questions on one thread. Managed to get it for Dad on the basis of challenging behaviour. Really I could have applied at least 1 year before he got it as his behaviour was horrendous then, requiring 2 carers to manage during the day. But no one told us about it, it's only because I work in a hospital that I picked up enough information to get the confidence to apply.
Have a feeling I'll be posting on here again soon, when they try and take the CHC away...
Hi My mum who is 91 is being assessed shortly for CHC after 6 weeks in a care home and showing 'challenging behaviour', she was totally independent until a stroke 8 weeks ago and lived with help from 2 carers at home, she has been referred to DOLS and the mental health team? Has a carer watching her 24/7 after 15 falls in 3 weeks. If she gets the CHC , is it likely to continue? She half owns her own home with father..
Any advice on CHC please welcome..

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Hi My mum who is 91 is being assessed shortly for CHC after 6 weeks in a care home and showing 'challenging behaviour', she was totally independent until a stroke 8 weeks ago and lived with help from 2 carers at home, she has been referred to DOLS and the mental health team? Has a carer watching her 24/7 after 15 falls in 3 weeks. If she gets the CHC , is it likely to continue? She half owns her own home with father..
Any advice on CHC please welcome..
There are a whole load of sections to consider in a CHC assessment and your mother would have to score highly on more than one to qualify. The rule of thumb that everyone seems to use is whether the care she needs to receive has to be given by somoene medically qualified or not. In general, if she can be cared for by carers, rather than nurses, she won't get CHC. I went through the whole process but did not get it. If she needs a lot of nursing care, not carer care, then you're in with a chance. Do download the asessment tool and go through it.