sicut animam suam : 'it's just life'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I am with you on not being able to watch this . Living it has been enough. The auditory & visual hallucinations experienced by our PWD are always downplayed by many professionals, likewise the wandering & the PWD finding even early on themselves in places & not knowing how they got there.
Sadly for soo many if a film was to be made of their experience of dementia it would be too harrowing for public consumption.
My congratulations to the brave team that tackled this subject matter & tried to highlight the issues.
For me I will stick with happy feel good films , & animations by Aardmann !
who doesn’t love Wallace & Gromit !
x

I think somtimes our curiosity gets the better of us, well it did me. I agree if a film was true to reality it would be hard to watch.

I'm more of a Peanuts fan especially the one and only Snoopy and Woodstock ?

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Today was my weekly visit with mum, which took an enormous effort to get there as the Cycle for Britain thing had been diverted through the centre of town. Not a lot of cycling seemed to be happening but there was huge disruption I'd best be careful as my mum was an avid cyclist in her younger days and it always seemed to stick with her even in early dementia.

Mum was the same pretty much, but out of the blue she mentioned her cousins name, which after all this time seemed a surprise. I told her he wasn't very well at the moment and so couldn't come and see her -which she seemed to accept. The reality is that is was devestated when he found out mum had dementia plus he is an old man himself -I don't expect him to visit mum given how difficult he finds it.

Today an invoice finally arrived from the LA for the last five months care fees. Ah ok so its a move forward, but there was no cover letter explaining the new payments and on what basis they were set. It is reasuuring to know the care fees are up to date at least and f course I will have sort payment. Still waiting on the CCG/CHC for a decision -I guess that will take forever.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
A bad day again, tied up in thoughts and wishing everything was different. I am so annoyed at this last week with the lack of any real change to social care and I just wonder sometimes what is the point of trying to make the world a better place?

Everything has become more together though in my memories as things were. As if its becoming a closure and almost as if I can put it all into one box and almost store it away somewhere if that makes sense.

I am returning to work, but in the abscence still of any therapy my boss has asked for a fit note, which is proving difficult. My GP is so busy and fully booked up there isn't slot, but such is life in todays world Friday was a constant queue so much so I called the GPs secretary who was infinitely more helpful than the gestapo phone receptionist notably called 'care navigators' -that makes me chuckle for the wrong reasons

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
A bad day again, tied up in thoughts and wishing everything was different. I am so annoyed at this last week with the lack of any real change to social care and I just wonder sometimes what is the point of trying to make the world a better place?

Everything has become more together though in my memories as things were. As if its becoming a closure and almost as if I can put it all into one box and almost store it away somewhere if that makes sense.

I am returning to work, but in the abscence still of any therapy my boss has asked for a fit note, which is proving difficult. My GP is so busy and fully booked up there isn't slot, but such is life in todays world Friday was a constant queue so much so I called the GPs secretary who was infinitely more helpful than the gestapo phone receptionist notably called 'care navigators' -that makes me chuckle for the wrong reasons
you have them as well? they told me to keep my sharps in an empty milk bottle until i got a sharps box. i have PWD and grandchildren that come in. the risk is too great for me to do that

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
you have them as well? they told me to keep my sharps in an empty milk bottle until i got a sharps box. i have PWD and grandchildren that come in. the risk is too great for me to do that
Meh, too much power given to people that have no indemnity or professional career to salvage on the wrong advice. Its fine to have these people regulate demand on services, but the issue I have with it is this: many people are calling their GP to check things out and they may not know how to push past the gestapo. I persoanlly refuse to give any information because it is confidential and the gestapo are not legally covered in that respect -and we all know how things get talked about even these days as well as the fact they cannot diagnose, but they can press someone into submission in whether they wish to continue the call. I've been there too often so now I find a way round any of it.

As for the sharps bin that is wholly unsatisfactory and to be honest I wouldn't be as accepting as you have been. I don't know the circumstances but sharps are a universal hazard

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Meh, too much power given to people that have no indemnity or professional career to salvage on the wrong advice. Its fine to have these people regulate demand on services, but the issue I have with it is this: many people are calling their GP to check things out and they may not know how to push past the gestapo. I persoanlly refuse to give any information because it is confidential and the gestapo are not legally covered in that respect -and we all know how things get talked about even these days as well as the fact they cannot diagnose, but they can press someone into submission in whether they wish to continue the call. I've been there too often so now I find a way round any of it.

As for the sharps bin that is wholly unsatisfactory and to be honest I wouldn't be as accepting as you have been. I don't know the circumstances but sharps are a universal hazard
im suppose to have an injection once a week. but haver had the injection 3 weeks but no sharps box. it comes tuesday. yes i complained but they shut you down and ring off. its like putting bleach in a lemonade bottle.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
im suppose to have an injection once a week. but haver had the injection 3 weeks but no sharps box. it comes tuesday. yes i complained but they shut you down and ring off. its like putting bleach in a lemonade bottle
Its weekend but on Monday I would call your local Public Health office and tell them your story plus you need a sharps bin asap

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
im suppose to have an injection once a week. but haver had the injection 3 weeks but no sharps box. it comes tuesday. yes i complained but they shut you down and ring off. its like putting bleach in a lemonade bottle.
Can you not ask the district nurse to supply one??

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Generally speaking the GP makes the prescrition for a sharps box if that is required as part of someones therapy -yes they are prescribed under the BNF. District nurses have no connection directly with a GP unless a case is MDT and they may not be involved in any care with someone requiring a sharps box.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
the gp ordered it but didnt come so i had to chase it myself. the environment health dept at the council do it and collect them. i phoned last week and the quickest was this tuesday so thats when its coming then i can start the injection the next day. on tuesday as well, the community team are coming out to give me my flu jab. thats the way it works. sorry didnt mean to hijack your thread @Palerider

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Generally speaking the GP makes the prescrition for a sharps box if that is required as part of someones therapy -yes they are prescribed under the BNF. District nurses have no connection directly with a GP unless a case is MDT and they may not be involved in any care with someone requiring a sharps box.
I hadn’t realised that.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
the gp ordered it but didnt come so i had to chase it myself. the environment health dept at the council do it and collect them. i phoned last week and the quickest was this tuesday so thats when its coming then i can start the injection the next day. on tuesday as well, the community team are coming out to give me my flu jab. thats the way it works. sorry didnt mean to hijack your thread @Palerider
I don't mind anyone posting on my thread, if I can help as per the forum rules I will ;)

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Tonight has been a difficult night. I was trying to watch Last Night of the Proms ( I am the real version of Endeavour Morse) ---...---

The BIL called

BIL: I don't feel well and I have diarrhoea
Me: Whats your blood sugar
BIL: I don't know
Me: What do you mean you don't know -check it now while I am the phone
BIL: Oh God its 17.3
Me: Your blood sugar is always 17 whenever I drop by and make you check it
BIL: I don't feel great, had my flu jab yesterday
Me: Few people feel great after their flu jab, have you checked your ketones?
BIL: Whats that
Me: for gods sake -does your machine check ketones?
BIL: hang on ......no just blood sugar
Me: have you been drinking that diet lemonade you are convinced has no sugar in and even though you drink it are thirsty
BIL: Yes, but I thought that had no sugar in
Me: N it does have sugar in! Anyway your diabetic, your sugars are high we can't check your ketones and you don't feel well -what do you think you should do?
BIL: Check my BM again
Me: Erm no, get the hospital tell them your an uncontrolled diabetic and you are not well and unable to check your ketones and your worried you may have DKA
BIL; Its ok I've bought a dual BM and ketones monitor on Amazon
Me: That isn't what I just said, get the hospital and get checked out you may be in DKA

Nightmare!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman