So, what’s my Pauline been up to today?

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Hi Agzy hope P a lot better today. UTI’s are the bane of my life, if it’s not my Mum’s, she’s in nearby care home, it’s Chris’s or even mine. Oh the joys of getting older- we lived abroad for a few years and you could go to a pharmacy and buy anti biotics over the counter, not something I’m recommending for the UK but it did make some things easier. One tip, cranberry capsules, Holland and Barrett, really do help ward off UTI’s. Hope you both have a good day today.
Hi @Knitandpurl , yes when we caravanned in Spain during winter months we used to buy antibiotics from pharmacies but as you say not for here thank you. Tried her on all kinds of cranberry juice but didnt seem to stop them from coming around like clockwork.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
As the antibiotics kick in poor Pauline is just exhausted and feeling very sorry for herself and keeps thanking me and when I reminded her of how she helped me when I was poorly she has no recollections, sad. She is so down that when we have a visitor she went off to bed as she couldnt stand the noise of all the talking! Silence now rules and not even the TV is allowed to break it so I am getting witchy for company and conversation.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Just when you were doing so well following your own ill health you have had to face this @Agzy. It would have made life so much easier if you hadn`t had such a struggle to get antibiotics for Pauline

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Just when you were doing so well following your own ill health you have had to face this @Agzy. It would have made life so much easier if you hadn`t had such a struggle to get antibiotics for Pauline
Tiz Sod’s law Sylvia, I phoned GP practice and explained all to receptionist who was adamant and would not put me through to a doctor insisting a sample the next morning and then after testing a GP would phone, that or 111 so I opted for NHS 111. Got to say that was not straight forward especially because as Pauline has capacity they insisted on speaking to her which caused terrible distress especially when the were trying to establish her levels of confusion of all things. Luckily the GP receptionist must have queried my call and surgery called to say prescription ready so cancelled 111 and drove off to collect meds. I hate think how bad she might have got otherwise.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
I got a message from the son of an old, but now passed, Caravanning friend that he was in the area and might call in. Given that I decided not to tell Pauline and when they arrived and started hugging and chatting to her she was clearly bewildered but, just as I was about to explain, she looked at Philip and said, “Betty.” After that all the memories sort of tumbled out and Pauline was sparkling with joy, a wonderful wonderful afternoon.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
From highs to lows! Just to complement the ongoing UTI Pauline had amother ‘toilet’ accident this morning this time through loose bowels. There seems to be a pattern but hard to check in that she will have an accident and claim she has diarrhoea and then immediately take a tablet which seems to be an instant cure so wondering if she is just covering up the accidents by claiming it is diarrhoea when it is just an accident.this matters in that if serious I need to let her doctor know.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
From highs to lows! Just to complement the ongoing UTI Pauline had amother ‘toilet’ accident this morning this time through loose bowels. There seems to be a pattern but hard to check in that she will have an accident and claim she has diarrhoea and then immediately take a tablet which seems to be an instant cure so wondering if she is just covering up the accidents by claiming it is diarrhoea when it is just an accident.this matters in that if serious I need to let her doctor know.
could the antibiotics cause diarrhoea ?

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
After a night where the water infection was not the issue we are both exhausted. Tragically it was nightmare after nightmare for her as she constantly dreamt and indeed chatted with her son who took his own life 4 years ago. There is nothing I can do to help her or comfort her as in these dreams he is real and alive to her and that is how she seems to remember them this morning even when calling them nightmares. Just cannot imagine what she goes through when he comes back like this to her,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s hard to understand what happens during sleep. We know our dreams happen during a lighter phase of sleeping and how infection affects people with dementia more severely than those of us without.

Perhaps there is still some residue of the infection @Agzy which has cause Pauline to be restless.

Whatever the reason, a bad night for both of you and I hope you can get some rest today.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
As my health recovers I do more and more long walks which, sadly Pauline is unable to do but this, “Paulines walk,” just twice a day gives her such a boost and she brags to all and sundry about “her” walk, love it!

Last edited by a moderator:

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Good to see you are recovering and you and Pauline are getting out and about even if it's just round the block, Agzy.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Good to see you are recovering and you and Pauline are getting out and about even if it's just round the block, Agzy.
My stamina and muscle strength is fast returning @nae sporran and this morning it was 2,6 miles along the wirral coast with my brother. Calf muscles and tendons a bit of an issue if I try walking a tad fast but breathing is fine. Family and friends are amazed as am I but suspect the Bells Palsy eye will stop any thought of golf until they operate later this year hopefully. I have a look of Charles Laughton as Quasimodo ? ?

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Yesterday was her MOT with practice nurse and I accompanied her and all was such positive news. Her last check was in 2019 and since then I have, amongst other things, weaned her of the bags of sweets she used to consume and which put blood sugars at dangerous levels, and of course got her walking for health. Anyway, blood sugars are at normal levels and she has lost 7kg in weigh so nurse was delighted as were we. On the way home and out of the blue she asked if she could do the walk I did for Alzheimer’s (the memory walk) but sadly we have missed it this year but will come up with something somehow. A positive day.