So, what’s my Pauline been up to today?

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Fingers crossed for you both. I'm glad Pauline is up for the move but don't forget, this is for you just as much.

I'll be watching your thread - please update us when you get an offer :)

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Thursday is the day the cleaner I have employed calls round to put herself through the mill of Paulines scrutiny in all she does and of course it means that Pauline did most of the housework she can cope with on Wednesday! This week her insistence in still doing what she can round the house accompanied by inessential grumbling and swearing has however really paid off this week as the cleaner has tested positive for Covid and so is in isolation. It just fell to me to do the hoovering and bathroom and Pauline is well content for the while anyway.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
On and off all day Pauline has been bad tempered and bored but when her 2nd eldest son phoned tonight she really shocked me - and him I imagine. He hardly visits and phones about every two weeks but has little to say but tonight he got both barrels off her for the first time ever and she pulled no punches. He didnt take much before he said he would phone again and put The Phone down since when she has gone on and on about having no regrets and doesn’t care if he never calls. Cant imagine what the repercussions will be but would guess he will use it as a reason not to visit or phone; time will tell.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
In a quandary this morning as when going to bed last night she said she had forgotten what she said to Andy but she shouted at him for not visiting. This morning she can’t remember shouting at him at all so do I contact him or just wait and see what happens? From my point of view he is a waste of space but he is her son not mine hence the quandary.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
This morning I drove us downtown to do a bit of shopping including winter jackets for us both. At home after lunch Pauline suddenly announced she was going to get the bus to the village (3 bus stops) and so I made sure she had phone, bus pass and money etc. and saw her onto the bus. Only been back home 20 minutes and she phoned to say shops were rubbish and was on the bus heading downtown Birkenhead where the shops are better! A worrisome couple of hours later and she comes through the front door totally exhausted and bad tempered. The result of her shopping? A £2.99 bottle of makeup foundation that she doesn’t wear. Safe and sound which is the main thing but so pleased for her still being able to have such an adventure successfully.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
This morning I drove us downtown to do a bit of shopping including winter jackets for us both. At home after lunch Pauline suddenly announced she was going to get the bus to the village (3 bus stops) and so I made sure she had phone, bus pass and money etc. and saw her onto the bus. Only been back home 20 minutes and she phoned to say shops were rubbish and was on the bus heading downtown Birkenhead where the shops are better! A worrisome couple of hours later and she comes through the front door totally exhausted and bad tempered. The result of her shopping? A £2.99 bottle of makeup foundation that she doesn’t wear. Safe and sound which is the main thing but so pleased for her still being able to have such an adventure successfully.
i bet pauline was tired. im lucky my husband can still go on the bus and get home which is important to his independence.

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
On Sunday, even though it was cold and wet I took Pauline to the block of sheltered flats we have applied for. Whist we lived in an identical block (now demolished) when we met, they were grim and rough and that is in her recal somewhere so I wanted her to see the differences. As we drove we saw that part of the car park is now a sort of walk through rose garden with seated area in the middle and we walked through it to the ‘new build’ reception area including security doors. As it happened someone was leaving so we walked into where pre Covid was a communal area of comfortable chairs but now empty, but all tastefully decorated with pictures on the walls and polished wooden floor to lifts. We took a lift to the third floor and there the floors were carpeted and the walls adorned with paintings and we walked up and down peering into vestibule areas in front of each front door. Where many electric scooter were parked and on charge. On our way out and true to form Pauline found the DIY laundrette which was immaculate having both washing machines and tumble driers and then it was back to the car and home. Up to now all positive and she has mentioned our visit to each family visitor as “the flats we are moving too.” So fingers crossed.
Hi Agzy these sound wonderful, I do hope it all works out for you both. My Mum always said as one door closes another opens. Very best of luck, as you really have to move the sooner the better, and you can make it a lovely fun project you are doing together. Knitandputl

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Hi Agzy these sound wonderful, I do hope it all works out for you both. My Mum always said as one door closes another opens. Very best of luck, as you really have to move the sooner the better, and you can make it a lovely fun project you are doing together. Knitandputl
Thank you @Knitandpurl, 7 year+ into our journey with Alz and at this moment we are really enjoying being togther in spite of all the crazy things that happen x

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
7.30 this morning and the son she railed at last week phoned as he started work, but as she took it on the upstairs phone I have no idea how the conversation went although later, when asked, she said he was ok and might visit but she doesn’t know when. I suspect she has forgotten about her sharp (though deserved) words to him But dont want her in bad mood so staying shtum.

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
Thank you @Knitandpurl, 7 year+ into our journey with Alz and at this moment we are really enjoying being togther in spite of all the crazy things that happen x
Hi Agzy, I really agree, life can be and still is good fun, Chris and I still have some great laughs and wonderful cuddles. He was very ill in March and I was so worried I was going to lose him, it was such a blessing get him back home from the hospital. I told him, this loving wanting and needing is not one way. Re Pauline’s son Chris fell out with his don last summer and refused to phone him, like you I ummed and aahed about whether I should contact him and didn’t, Chris insisted his son would eventually ring, which he did. Nothing was said about any of the fallout. Hope your dilemma sorts itself too.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Having had a letter telling her she was to have blood tests as part of annual MOT and both being ready early (Pauline was getting impatient) we set off in the car and I dropped her right outside the surgery door 20 minutes early and settled back to wait and it wasnt for long! Within minutes she is heading towards me with a face like thunder and waving the letter. For a change it was not ‘my’ fault as letter did not mention venue and we had gone to wrong one but, as we were early we managed to reach the other surgery on time so all was well I thought, But it became THE issue of the day being complained about incessantly both to me, her son and my daughter, on and on and on and was glad when bedtime came round. Hopefully all forgotten today.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
UTI’s are yet again bringing chaos into our lives. I went out early for a walk and to deliver a coat for alterations and all seemed ‘normal’ when I got back home and no complaints when we went supermarket shopping but, about 2 o’clock she is crying in agony and telling me she has had bladder pains all morning but drinking lots of water to cure it! Even though I know her surgery rules I phoned to explain the situation and got the receptionist from hell. No, there aren’t any doctors available and no she won’t intervene to help and we must bring in a sample in the morning and after it is tested a GP will decide. I pleaded with her to no avail and told to contact 111 which I did and what a lengthy and torturous conversation with the operative insisting on talking to Pauline aout how confused she was feeling and going on about the Alzheimer’s. Eventually Pauline went off to the loo again and left me talking on the mobile when the landline starts ringing so I just lift receiver and drop it again at which point Paulines mobile starts ringing and it shows her GP as incoming. Desperately trying to answer both although deaf in my left ear Pauline arrives and takes her phone then rings off announcing the antibiotics are at chemists!! Eventually placated 111 lady and headed out to pharmacy and yes, they were ready so called in GPs to talk to receptionist who apparently had had second thoughts and spoken to a GP who wrote the prescription to send electronically. Been a long emotional day since with one very poorly and angry lady to deal with. Just hope the meds work and all quietens down infection wise.

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
Hi Agzy hope P a lot better today. UTI’s are the bane of my life, if it’s not my Mum’s, she’s in nearby care home, it’s Chris’s or even mine. Oh the joys of getting older- we lived abroad for a few years and you could go to a pharmacy and buy anti biotics over the counter, not something I’m recommending for the UK but it did make some things easier. One tip, cranberry capsules, Holland and Barrett, really do help ward off UTI’s. Hope you both have a good day today.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
After a restless night for both of us and sample safely in test bottle I took it to the surgery a round trip of 30 minutes and on return she was distraught as she couldn’t find me anywhere and had forgotten where I was going. It’s going to be a tough and emotional day I think but I feel so sorry for her as she is exhausted.