SUNDOWNING

Rosenheim111

Jul 26, 2021
My husbans sundowning is wants to go home I am not his wife. and at times he gets aggressive.
what can I do. At the moment I leave him downstairs and I go upstairs to l have some peace.
Am I doing the right thing. PLEASE HELP I am so fried. (TIRED)

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
I'm sorry you're having problems with sundowning. It is a good idea to leave the room if your husband is becoming aggressive. Do not hesitate to call the police if you feel you are in danger.

The following links might be useful:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My husbans sundowning is wants to go home I am not his wife. and at times he gets aggressive.

Mine was the same @Rosenheim111 and he used to insist on going out to go home to his `real` wife. It`s a nightmare.

If you can leave him alone for some peace you are doing exactly the right thing. I didn`t dare leave my husband alone or he would have gone.

When he did go, I used to follow him at a distance and phone our son to meet us. Our son was always able to calm him.

Partner

Jan 18, 2021
Mine was the same @Rosenheim111 and he used to insist on going out to go home to his `real` wife. It`s a nightmare.

If you can leave him alone for some peace you are doing exactly the right thing. I didn`t dare leave my husband alone or he would have gone.

When he did go, I used to follow him at a distance and phone our son to meet us. Our son was always able to calm him.
This is just what my husband does and it’s very hard. He’s ok with everyone else even if he forgets names or what relationship they are. He gets really anxious and accuses me of stopping him going to her. I have tried distraction but it doesn’t seem to work when he’s In this mood.

Partner

Jan 18, 2021
Welcome to TP @Partner
Please keep posting as you’ll get lots of support here.
Thank you Cat27. Im sure I’ll find this site helpful, even if it’s only to let off steam. I hate to load things onto our daughters although they are so helpful.

slim-jim

Sep 6, 2020
Would my wife's behaviour come under sundowning, she spends a lot of the evening going through her clothes and trying a lot on with my help .these are clothes that she wears regular but she says she is getting them ready for next day or seeing if this matches that then leaves them all in a heap so I have to put them all back on their hangers in the wardrobe.I have told her after the first lot have been tried on that she looks great and that is the outfit for tomorrow.she removes them and i think she will be ok with that but a few minutes later she wants help with another outfit.as she seems happy doing all this it is hard for me to relax.this only happens during the evening.does anyone else have the same problem .my wife is in her 70's and diagnosed 2 years ago with Alzheimer's.

JoanS

Feb 16, 2022
what can I do. At the moment I leave him downstairs and I go upstairs to l have some peace.
Am I doing the right thing. PLEASE HELP I am so fried. (TIRED)
I’m sorry you are going through this. My husband does the the same thing. It really hurts when he doesn’t recognize me as his wife. This sundowning is so terribly hard. Wish I had an answer. I sympathize