Vaccine worries

Wildflowerlady

Sep 30, 2019
Not sure of any help but I had the Astra Zeneca vaccination a couple of weeks ago the only side effect was a tender arm around the injection site which lasted around 6 -7 days. I had the vaccination 41 days after Covid infection as that was when I received my letter due to my age. I believe advice is it can be given 30 days after Covid positive test. I was very unwell with Covid and had to be admitted to hospital 12 days after becoming unwell. I was very keen to have my vaccination as I developed a blood clot and pneumonia due to Covid and now on blood thinners for 3-6 months. For me there was no question that any side effects I could get would be anything other than minor things to worry about given how unwell I was with Covid.
My partner had the Pfizer jab and had no side effects at all he is 77 years. I am 61 years incredibly although he had only had his vaccination a week before I became unwell he either did not catch it or was asymptomatic. I agree that someone should be as well as possible before being vaccinated.
My dad was End Of Life January 2021 which is why I was able to visit him in his CH but they did ask if family wanted dad to have the vaccination as doctor had asked and would give it to him next day. I said no given dads poorly state and being End of Life. My dad hadn't eaten in a month and was no longer awake on my daily visits, as it was my dad passed away the day after I was asked. Dad also had a positive test which came back later the same day I was asked about the vaccination and the CH called me after I had got home to tell me. There was no doubt in my mind visiting dad is where I caught Covid. Covid was not recorded on dads death certificate but Advanced dementia and cerebral event as had a small stroke. Thankfully I am now well albeit on the thinners but hopeful that next chest x ray will be good and no long term damage.

Adoralan

Mar 2, 2021
My 87 year old mum had severe Covid back in mid December. I spent 2 weeks sitting by what I was told would probably be her deathbed on a daily basis. Her confusion and fear due to dementia and delirium meant that she could not tolerate a CPAP mask so only nasally delivered pressurised oxygen could be provided and she was on the maximum. She survived, but 3 months on has been back in hospital twice with first Covid related pneumonia and then blood clots on her lungs. Covid has caused severe deterioration both mentally and physically. I am having my first Covid vaccination this Thursday and I can't wait. My mum will have it as soon as medical staff advise it. I remember talking to my GP about having the MMR vaccine for my son when all the adverse publicity around that was going on. The GP said that the possibly deadly or life changing results from having the diseases meant that he recommended the vaccine. I feel exactly the same way about this situation. @Wildflowerlady you had a really rough time with Covid too and I'm very glad that you are feeling much better and hope all will be well for you going forward.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I had my second vaccination today and I`m fine. I slept for a couple of hours when I got home and have been taking paracetamol every four hours and drinking lots of water.

I am so impressed with the way the event was organised. All the medics and volunteers, ushering people to the right places, taking details of their current well being, administering vaccinations, disinfecting used areas and seating, were pleasant and caring and patient with those who were elderly and confused.

They are doing this day in and day out and are a credit to our society.

Kellyr

Aug 8, 2020
The trouble with threads like this is the reality that you will get the few people who have a reaction to the vaccine and not the super multiple number who have no problem.
The whole point of vaccine is not only to protect yourself but critically to protect others. The reality of the vulnerability of the older, and those impacted by dementia, to my mind reinforces the need for everyone to be vaccinated.
When the next wave comes and the un-vaccinated are at risk you will appreciate the short term impact of reaction which, from all the evidence now available, only affects a very few.
Yes it's horrid if you are the one with or caring for someone who does react. But it's rare and the safety from avoiding hospitalisation or worse is worth the temporary

Kellyr

Aug 8, 2020
I still dont understand the premise of having a jab to protect others when they havent been clear if it cuts transmission. Thats not how the flu jab works and this shouldnt be different imo

Kellyr

Aug 8, 2020
Not sure of any help but I had the Astra Zeneca vaccination a couple of weeks ago the only side effect was a tender arm around the injection site which lasted around 6 -7 days. I had the vaccination 41 days after Covid infection as that was when I received my letter due to my age. I believe advice is it can be given 30 days after Covid positive test. I was very unwell with Covid and had to be admitted to hospital 12 days after becoming unwell. I was very keen to have my vaccination as I developed a blood clot and pneumonia due to Covid and now on blood thinners for 3-6 months. For me there was no question that any side effects I could get would be anything other than minor things to worry about given how unwell I was with Covid.
My partner had the Pfizer jab and had no side effects at all he is 77 years. I am 61 years incredibly although he had only had his vaccination a week before I became unwell he either did not catch it or was asymptomatic. I agree that someone should be as well as possible before being vaccinated.
My dad was End Of Life January 2021 which is why I was able to visit him in his CH but they did ask if family wanted dad to have the vaccination as doctor had asked and would give it to him next day. I said no given dads poorly state and being End of Life. My dad hadn't eaten in a month and was no longer awake on my daily visits, as it was my dad passed away the day after I was asked. Dad also had a positive test which came back later the same day I was asked about the vaccination and the CH called me after I had got home to tell me. There was no doubt in my mind visiting dad is where I caught Covid. Covid was not recorded on dads death certificate but Advanced dementia and cerebral event as had a small stroke. Thankfully I am now well albeit on the thinners but hopeful that next chest x ray will be good and no long term damage.
Just curious, did you think about wether you would have natural antibodies after having the virus? Its quite rare to get covid twice..

Kellyr

Aug 8, 2020
This is an interesting thread. My mum, along with several residents and staff in her care home, tested positive for the virus two weeks after her first jab. She is now extremely frail, having more survived the virus rather than recovered from it. I am thinking that she should not have the second jab. I will consult with the care home manager and see what he says.
Hi @lemonbalm Jeremy Hunt and Imran Khan both got covid shortly after their jabs so its quite common, and two workers in my Mums carehome were quite unwell with covid for 2nd time after theres. If youre Mum is frail, and everyone around her has had a jab, I would hold off personally

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Hi @lemonbalm Jeremy Hunt and Imran Khan both got covid shortly after their jabs so its quite common, and two workers in my Mums carehome were quite unwell with covid for 2nd time after theres. If youre Mum is frail, and everyone around her has had a jab, I would hold off personally
Thank you. I’ve spoken to the care home manager and we have agreed to be guided by the GP who will be attending on the day.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
imran khan had a different vaccine to the pfizer and astra zenica . he had a chinese one which is the only one available in pakistan. they think he had was positive with covid before he had the vaccine.

Wildflowerlady

Sep 30, 2019
Just curious, did you think about wether you would have natural antibodies after having the virus? Its quite rare to get covid twice..
Hi@Kellyr To be honest I was aware I would likely have some antibodies but doctors at the hospital said they couldn't guarantee I would not catch Covid again so general advice appears to be still be vaccinated. I was really unwell the lady in the bed opposite me died 8 days after I left hospital and she was younger by a couple of years. I have seen reports of care home residents testing positive for Covid after vaccination but I guess I think it's possible that Covid did get into the home just before vaccination. I had avoided catching it for almost a year and do occasionally have to go out to pharmacy etc I only caught it when visiting my dad who was end of life. The care home did not realise dad had Covid until his test came back and he was only tested as all the staff and residents were. My partners daughter said her friend had Covid twice. I'm not sure myself how common it is to get again but definitely don't want to risk it by being unvaccinated unless further research says not necessary. Residents in dads care home and some staff had received vaccination not long before my dad passed so it does kinda reinforce my view that it's very likely some care home residents will still get Covid as the vaccination takes 2-3 weeks to give some resistance to the virus.

Last edited:

Ithuriel

May 13, 2018
Al this may be sound advice, but I can only go off my own direct experience in which my mother was extremely unwell and with the fever from the jab it brought delirium-albeit for only a day or so - nonetheless ANY delirium is an assault on the brain and in Dementia it advances it - which is what had definitely happened to my mother - I am unwilling to do this to her again

Wildflowerlady

Sep 30, 2019
Hi @lovegardening I can see @jennifer1967 has kindly answered your question. The forum was of great help and support to me when dealing with my dad and his dementia. I only pop in every now and then as lost my dad in January this year. Everyone on here can offer their own experience with problems and really help with those that need advice or just a bit of emotional support to help them on this difficult journey with their loved ones. I am forever grateful for the support I received.