Windows issue

Steven811

Jul 12, 2021
My father has recently been diagnosed and as a consequence I've been looking into his affairs. He has recently ordered new windows for his house and the price of some of the ancillary works looks very high. So high that I'm certain he's been taken advantage of and over charged.

I've raised this with them and they ignore me. I've also raised this with the industry ombudsmen but, not had a reply yet.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Steven811

Last edited by a moderator:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You can often get a lower quote combined with good workmanship and better service from reliable local installers than any of the national chains

Steven811

Jul 12, 2021
You can often get a lower quote combined with good workmanship and better service from reliable local installers than any of the national chains
Hi Nitram, thanks for the reply.

The issue is that he has signed an agreement for the windows and the extra work which don't seems to stand up to close scrutiny. When approached they have gone radio silence which would suggest they have something to hide.

In my view anyway.

Steven811

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Have you explained that he has been diagnosed with dementia and may not have had capacity to understand and sign the contract?

Also contact any trade organisation the firm belongs to.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
If you have LPA and work has not started you could write to them, cancelling the order, and pointing out that your dad lacked mental capacity to sign. Then get some other quotations. I think it very unlikely that they will try to get redress.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I agree with @MartinWL If you have LPA then you control the cheque book and bank account. Just tell them that your dad lacks capacity and that you have control of his account and you will not be paying.

Steven811

Jul 12, 2021
If you have LPA and work has not started you could write to them, cancelling the order, and pointing out that your dad lacked mental capacity to sign. Then get some other quotations. I think it very unlikely that they will try to get redress.
That's a good idea, thanks

Steven811

Jul 12, 2021
I agree with @MartinWL If you have LPA then you control the cheque book and bank account. Just tell them that your dad lacks capacity and that you have control of his account and you will not be paying.
Thanks, although he has paid a deposit of £4k. The company just will not respond and some of the prices seem ridiculously high.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Thanks, although he has paid a deposit of £4k. The company just will not respond and some of the prices seem ridiculously high.
My parents had a company do work in 2018 for windows and roof trim, guttering etc and their deposit was £4000. Prices were overall over £15000. Not unusual for these big chains.

Steven811

Jul 12, 2021
My parents had a company do work in 2018 for windows and roof trim, guttering etc and their deposit was £4000. Prices were overall over £15000. Not unusual for these big chains.
They're charging an additional £3k (£1200 for a survey and £1800 to do the work) to remove asbestos from one small are of the garage, leaving the rest. I've asked how they have managed to make it a round £3k and they don't respond.
In spite of promising to get the salesman to call me.

I've had a quote from a competitor to do the entire garage for £3.6k

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
When my MIL was widowed some 18 years ago, she moved and had some windows replaced by a big national chain and the price was ridiculously high. She thought she was going for a reliable firm by choosing a National Chain, and didn't get quotes. I suspect they get a lot of elderly customers.

She didn't get all of the windows done and a few years later she got a local firm to do the rest for effectively less than half the price.

Unfortunately I suspect there are no unfair terms in the contract if it is a National firm, as not only are they charging high prices to cover the national adverts but they will also have expensive corporate lawyers.

If work hasn't started you can argue your father's dementia but if it has I think you will be expected to pay up.

Steven811

Jul 12, 2021
When my MIL was widowed some 18 years ago, she moved and had some windows replaced by a big national chain and the price was ridiculously high. She thought she was going for a reliable firm by choosing a National Chain, and didn't get quotes. I suspect they get a lot of elderly customers.

She didn't get all of the windows done and a few years later she got a local firm to do the rest for effectively less than half the price.

Unfortunately I suspect there are no unfair terms in the contract if it is a National firm, as not only are they charging high prices to cover the national adverts but they will also have expensive corporate lawyers.

If work hasn't started you can argue your father's dementia but if it has I think you will be expected to pay up.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I feel he has been taken advantage of and may have to accept it. I'm prepared to talk to the company but, they just do not respond. I've written to the ombudsman too and I'm hoping one of them will respond soon.

Steven811

Jul 12, 2021
Have you gone through their official complaints procedure?
I have a raised a complaint through two of the individuals that I talked to. Nothing happened. I've also raised a complaint through the recommended channels and still had no response.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You can get CEO contact details here.

However your complaint is not about quality or financial compliance, you want to cancel an order and may not get very far.

Has any 14 day cooling off period expired?

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Yep, that's a good idea.
Thanks
Do it! Perhaps start it by saying, 'I am writing this letter to you directly rather than posting on your Facebook page/contacting the Guardian/BBC/Trading Standards, etc. in order to give you the chance to put things right...'

I've always found veiled threats work wonders :eek:? One thing big companies really hate is bad publicity.