Visited dad today after yesterday’s phone call.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I popped in and saw dad today. He looks very puffed up in the face. He looks vacant. He knew who I was. He hadn’t eaten his prunes or banana.. He had drunk his tea. He was leaning to the left again. He still hasn’t had his hair washed.His nails are filthy. I made him a cup of tea in his dementia cup. The carer arrived to make him dinner which dad decided he didn’t like the food.But decided to give it a go. It was fishcake and potatoes and mushy peas. The carer then showed me the bedroom and said that he had asked on call for a bigger bed(he means longer bed) and for it to be moved into the dining room. He has a hospital bed. This was because dad had used his bed control to sit himself up upright and was like that when they came in.( dad would not know how to put the head back down as he is getting more confused now. ) He cannot use a tv remote. Tv was on silent when I had come in. I told the carer that I had already arranged before for it to be moved into the dining room only for me to have to send them away. So it was up to them to sort it. Apparently they are getting different equipment for him so they can move him.(stand aid) I hope they all know how to use one as no one seemed to know that you can get one like a hoist.. Very similar..
The Statlock has been on the left leg for 4 weeks. I put it on and nobody has moved it to the other leg . I did ask him this but apparently there is a date on it (should be interesting).
Dads urine output overnight was 500 mls . Only 100 mls at lunchtime.
They are using the Sara Stedy to move him even though he is leaning to the left badly. Apparently he was strong enough to get up this morning ( dad refused to stay in bed).They have put a rolled up duvet cover on the left to try and prop him up . It’s not working as he is still leaning to the left. He ate 3/4 of his meal and I gave him a tablespoon of ice cream for pudding.It took him an hour to drink the tea I made him and that was with a lot of prompting. Also dad’s left hand seems to be curling inwards and very weak. Very sad to see but to me it seems like we are heading towards the last frontier. But I have said that before.They must be all finding it difficult now as I’ve never seen so many complaints ?

Last edited:

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
It certainly looks that way now. Perhaps something will change this week once SS have revisited. Should the GP be made aware of his constipation? He must be feeling very uncomfortable. Have heard that leaning to the left can be a sign. My mum did this though in the later stages of Alzheimer's which just seemed to be an inability to stay upright rather than constipation. Also I was wondering if your dad may have had a slight stroke with left sided weakness & affecting his hand. Perhaps the GP should visit to assess situation & maybe confirm end stages & palliative care. It must be very difficult for you & the carers trying to deal with this.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I emailed the doctor today. Along with SS. Dad had a major stroke in 2017 which caused a left sided weakness. His hand wasn’t so bad last week but I think his awareness in using it has gone tbh.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I am so sorry that your dad is in this terrible state @TNJJ You have been amazing throughout and I am not at all surprised that you have stepped back. Dreadful as it sounds I hope this ends soon for both your sakes because it is an awful thing to cope with. Wishing you well.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I hope it doesn’t go on too long either. As he is now missing some food out and only passing 500mls overnight in urine it is definitely showing the decline. I don’t think I could do months of this.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Sometime this week. I’m away at my son’s wedding. He will be seeing him on his own. I wasn’t willing to go. It will be interesting to say the least.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Congratulations to your son. I hope the wedding goes without a hitch. No, you couldnt possibly miss that and I do hope you have a lovely time.

I also hope the SW walks into chaos.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Congratulations to your son. I hope the wedding goes without a hitch. No, you couldnt possibly miss that and I do hope you have a lovely time.

I also hope the SW walks into chaos.
I do hope so too. It’s a beautiful day here today in Cornwall. The wedding is outside tomorrow in a manor. So let’s hope it’s stays like it.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Social worker visiting tomorrow. Dad has declined breakfast and lunch. Cleaner/carer came today and did a sit for 3 hours. He drank more but doesn’t look well. She thinks he will be bedridden before long. .
I’ve landed at Boconnoc Manor for the wedding tomorrow. Beautiful place and the sun is shining ??

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Social worker visiting tomorrow. Dad has declined breakfast and lunch. Cleaner/carer came today and did a sit for 3 hours. He drank more but doesn’t look well. She thinks he will be bedridden before long. .
I’ve landed at Boconnoc Manor for the wedding tomorrow. Beautiful place and the sun is shining ??
lets hope the sun stays shining and you have a lovely time