Cure the Care System: our new short film

Seaholly

Oct 12, 2020
Absolutely brilliant, but I feel it needs to be backed up with more. I agree with putting in some quotes from real carers and perhaps a 'twin' film that shows the PWD in hosting mode and the (unintentionally) hurtful comments visitors, including health care professionals make before the carer gets the backlash.
As a carer, if I was to make a film, I would start with myself in a nice, sunny place, looking at a brochure of someone 'living well with dementia' and a cheery, pristine, old-fashioned white wooden signpost, pointing to 'Social Services', 'Occupational Therapy'; 'Friends and Family'; 'Respite Care' etc. I would be looking hopeful, clutching my little handful of leaflets and reassuring my PWD that everything would be fine.
Each path we took, however, would cut to show the real frustrations, delays, misunderstandings etc and cut back to end with big, metal gates with barbed wire on top, slamming in our faces. The sky would get progressively darker and thunder, lightening, rain and hail would batter us both.
We'd end up back where we started, by our sign, now battered, filthy and broken (the sign and us!)
I'd then pan out to show hundreds of people round hundreds of broken signs and people.

None the Wiser

Feb 3, 2020
Watching this film made me realise how difficult it is to capture all the issues we are faced with as carers and sufferers. I agree with all that has been said above. The film is good, but I wonder who will watch it and realise that there really is a major crisis. I agree that we need to be very clear about what would make a significant difference. It is time to stop thinking of demetia as an inevitable condition of old age, and make it clear that it is a life limiting serious illness, and it affects younger people as well as the elderly. It wouldn’t be acceptable to leave cancer patients to just get on with it. Dementia should be firmly moved from a social care issue to a medical condition that requires expert, professional intervention, treatment and care. It’s time the opposition parties got together and embarrassed the government into effective legislation. Unfortunately those of us who are looking after loved ones haven’t any energy, time or stamina left to fight the fight necessary, particularly when we’re already fighting for financial support, care home access etc.

Soroptimist

Jun 10, 2018
It's good that the campaign focuses impact on carers and how many barriers there are to get help, and the ongoing relentlessness of it all. And it is beautifully shot. But I am concerned that the people who see this will be those who are already aware of how difficult this is. The people who should really be targeted are those who have no idea of how unfair multiple aspects of the system are, and how much of an ongoing fight it is to get support. And as the ad does not provide a solution, just grimness - I worry it lends itself to a feeling of helplessness, rather than giving a positive call to action.

Fullticket

Apr 19, 2016
Chard, Somerset
A very moving and revealing film clearly liaising with people who have been carers. Unfortunately so much of the 'social care' we experience evolves from people who have no experience of what it is like to actually care for someone 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Social care has been swept under the carpet since the days of Margaret Thatcher. Each new government comes into power on a manifesto of sorting this out; then they see the size of the job that needs to be done and it gets put to the bottom of the pile again or they chip away at the edges (two hours on one day, once a week is not 'respite' it merely means you can go to the supermarket or change a library book). I was lucky, my mum had a good pension and I could afford to place her into respite care in the local care home BUT only when they had a slot available for her for a week, which sometimes came at less than a day's notice. Not enough time to book a proper 'holiday,' just a time at home or able to go for a coffee and maybe a meal out and have a week's respite from the endless washing.
Staff training in the whole of the dementia package (sufferers, carers, work issues, etc. etc.) needs urgent attention, as does the issue of what happens when the carer is no longer a carer but now has no job?

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
Who is going to be watching this?
I found it too dark, too vague with nothing to grab attention. It would be far too easy to watch it and still not know what it was about. You would need to listen and concentrate to gain the message and I doubt if a casual viewer would do that. It reminds me of those classy car ads that you ask yourself “What was that all about?”
Sorry.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I shared this on social media and the only response so far has been from other carers and former carers. It did make me cry though and it does show the frustrations and loneliness of caring well. Whether it catches the attention of others who have not had to care for a loved one is another question, but it's good to get some of the realities of dementia in the public domain.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
the only response so far has been from other carers and former carers.

This is the problem.

I`m not blaming anyone because I didn`t have any interest in dementia until it knocked on my door. I also think it is still a frightening illness and it`s easier to pretend it won`t happen to you, rather than face it full on.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
This is the problem.

I`m not blaming anyone because I didn`t have any interest in dementia until it knocked on my door. I also think it is still a frightening illness and it`s easier to pretend it won`t happen to you, rather than face it full on.
I'm not falling out with anyone over it either, or looking for sympathy. You're right when you say it's just not something most people want to think about, Sylvia.

Seaholly

Oct 12, 2020
Perhaps the key message, after all the shocking images - which I think are needed - is that dementia needs all of us to do something and there is something we can all do, whether we are a PWD, a carer, a professional, a family member or a friend. There are so many things that never seem to get said:
* Dementia does not discriminate - despite all we know (or think we know) it is not something that only happens to 'other people' as opposed to 'people like us', or people with 'the wrong' sort of lifestyle.
* The early stages only become clear with hindsight, but this could change with better sharing of knowledge and less stigma. In the early stages, I feel there are millions of people whose lives could and should have been so much better.
* Measures to make life easier for PWD should be embedded into the planning system for buildings with public access and in plans for public open spaces. Where a gain can be identified, it should happen.
* Listen to the principal carer! We don't just need 'support' (I detest that term!) We need the professionals to listen to us and take our observations seriously and encourage others to do the same
*Families need to talk! Easier said than done, I know!!! How much stress and fear could have been removed for our PWD and for us had she (a) recognised what was happening and found some timely advice and (b) been encouraged and helped to take control while she could and plan ahead?
* Agreed periods of leave to care for a PWD should be given the same priority and acceptance as maternity leave. The end of life is as important as the beginning.
* The Carer's Allowance should not be means-tested. If you are doing the hours, you are doing the hours!

I know there are a lot more things that should happen, but these are just a few that I never hear about or never seem to get flagged up :(

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I thought the film was good. I recognised the situations portrayed and empathised with both main characters. But I think that this was because, like many others commenting here, I have first hand experience of being a carer for someone with dementia. I am not sure that the film would have such an impact on anyone who hasn't been in that position, and it is surely those who don't already know who are the target audience.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Who is going to be watching this?
I found it too dark, too vague with nothing to grab attention. It would be far too easy to watch it and still not know what it was about. You would need to listen and concentrate to gain the message and I doubt if a casual viewer would do that. It reminds me of those classy car ads that you ask yourself “What was that all about?”
Sorry.
I agree. I tried to imagine watching this from the point of view of someone who hadn't experienced dementia and... I just didn't get it. Too dark, to start with and who was the vague, silent but docile guy in the background? He didn't seem to be that much trouble...

Where was the shouting, arguing, crying, constantly repeated questions, non-compliance with changing pads/clothes, etc? It's like you're still holding back.

I think the film did give some idea about the frustrations of the carer trying to deal with the system but didn't get across the incredibly difficult, relentless, 24/7 aspects of caring. Or the different sorts of caring, like when someone is trying to juggle their own life with family, job, etc and also having to call in on a PWD, co-ordinate with their various carers/appointments, etc.

If I didn't know about dementia I would watch the film and think, 'This has nothing to do with me.' Like @Banjomansmate I would liken it to those adverts on TV that you watch then think, 'What was the product they were advertising?' Then you realise, the advert wasn't aimed at you...

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
I agree. I tried to imagine watching this from the point of view of someone who hadn't experienced dementia and... I just didn't get it. Too dark, to start with and who was the vague, silent but docile guy in the background? He didn't seem to be that much trouble...

Where was the shouting, arguing, crying, constantly repeated questions, non-compliance with changing pads/clothes, etc? It's like you're still holding back.

I think the film did give some idea about the frustrations of the carer trying to deal with the system but didn't get across the incredibly difficult, relentless, 24/7 aspects of caring. Or the different sorts of caring, like when someone is trying to juggle their own life with family, job, etc and also having to call in on a PWD, co-ordinate with their various carers/appointments, etc.

If I didn't know about dementia I would watch the film and think, 'This has nothing to do with me.' Like @Banjomansmate I would liken it to those adverts on TV that you watch then think, 'What was the product they were advertising?' Then you realise, the advert wasn't aimed at you...
Thank you for this! I think we have to ask, if you knew nothing about dementia what would you take from this and how would it inspire you to help in some way. Kindredx

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Thanks so much everyone for sharing your thoughts so far - all of your comments are incredibly valuable.

It sounds like for many of you it powerfully reflects your own experiences, whilst some of you feel that it needs to go further, and some of you are wondering if it will have an impact on people who aren't directly affected and who don't see the day to day reality.

For those asking where the campaign will be seen, it will be shown across a range of channels including cinema and TV ads, press ads, billboards and our social media channels.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Thank you for this! I think we have to ask, if you knew nothing about dementia what would you take from this and how would it inspire you to help in some way. Kindredx
same dottery old bloke. i thought we were getting away from whimsical little old men/ ladies and this shows what stereotype people expect

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
same dottery old bloke. i thought we were getting away from whimsical little old men/ ladies and this shows what stereotype people expect
True, with you all the way but suppose they showed someone half naked, angry, violent and throwing poo …what would the response be? Dementia would be feared even more than it already is. Kindredx

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
True, with you all the way but suppose they showed someone half naked, angry, violent and throwing poo …what would the response be? Dementia would be feared even more than it already is. Kindredx
there is a choice, either have to censor it to manage peoples sensitivities or reality which people might not like but would dispel a few myths

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
there is a choice, either have to censor it to manage peoples sensitivities or reality which people might not like but would dispel a few myths
Yes, thank you. I agree. Is it time for the latter. There’s so much shame about this subject no wonder it does not get looked at head on. I never really let on about how bad it was for me.
Warmest, Kindred

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Absolutely brilliant, but I feel it needs to be backed up with more. I agree with putting in some quotes from real carers and perhaps a 'twin' film that shows the PWD in hosting mode and the (unintentionally) hurtful comments visitors, including health care professionals make before the carer gets the backlash.
As a carer, if I was to make a film, I would start with myself in a nice, sunny place, looking at a brochure of someone 'living well with dementia' and a cheery, pristine, old-fashioned white wooden signpost, pointing to 'Social Services', 'Occupational Therapy'; 'Friends and Family'; 'Respite Care' etc. I would be looking hopeful, clutching my little handful of leaflets and reassuring my PWD that everything would be fine.
Each path we took, however, would cut to show the real frustrations, delays, misunderstandings etc and cut back to end with big, metal gates with barbed wire on top, slamming in our faces. The sky would get progressively darker and thunder, lightening, rain and hail would batter us both.
We'd end up back where we started, by our sign, now battered, filthy and broken (the sign and us!)
I'd then pan out to show hundreds of people round hundreds of broken signs and people.

I really like this idea.

I suppose the problem is how to engage people who have no idea about dementia without terrifying those who may just be starting out along the path. I had no idea that dementia was a life limiting illness that destroyed the brain - I thought it was just a memory problem so when my uncle was diagnosed I just thought "It could be worse..."

Lone Wolf

Sep 20, 2020
  • See thread "Last Straw" for the reality for many people with dementia and their home carers.
  • Invitation to Matt Hancock and Helen Whately to swap roles for a week.

Last edited:

DennyD

Dec 6, 2016
Porthcawl, South Wales
Thanks so much everyone for sharing your thoughts so far - all of your comments are incredibly valuable.

It sounds like for many of you it powerfully reflects your own experiences, whilst some of you feel that it needs to go further, and some of you are wondering if it will have an impact on people who aren't directly affected and who don't see the day to day reality.

For those asking where the campaign will be seen, it will be shown across a range of channels including cinema and TV ads, press ads, billboards and our social media channels.
I think the clip has good and and not so good points. It is such a complex area making it very hard to give an informative picture.

Can I ask who was involved in deciding on the content and deeming it to be a reflection that would inform the public of dementia? Also how it was approved for screening?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucyKB