Mild Cognitve Impairment

Xeenies

May 19, 2014
Does anyone know much about Mild Cognitive Impairment (MIC). Does it always lead to dementia/Alzheimer's? If not what is the expected % of people who are expected to stay at having a MIC?

Xeenies

May 19, 2014
Thanks. I did read this but wasn't 100% sure what it meant exactly...So 10-15% get dementia each year...does that mean all of them will have it after 5 years or so?

"These findings are important because people who have MCI are at an increased risk of going on to develop dementia. In studies carried out in memory clinics, 10-15 per cent of people with MCI went on to develop dementia in each year that the research results were followed up. In other studies the rates are about half this level, but MCI still represents a significantly increased level of risk of dementia – about three to five times the risk of someone without MCI".

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I think the important thing is not the numbers but the fact that while there is an increased risk of developing dementia if you have MCI, not everyone will.

vonvonvon

Mar 1, 2015
Hi,
I was diagnosed with MCI around 8 months ago, I try not to let the figures overwhelm me, everyone is different, I've made some 'tweaks' to my lifestyle as suggested.
Last week I had a bad week especially at work & have noticed its progressing, but that's just me & at some stage I hope it will plateau.
I'm new to TP but everyone seems really supportive & informative.
When I'm out of work, it very much about making some memories as far as I'm concerned, my daughters new puppy, her wedding to look forward to, lunch with a friend tomorrow etc etc
Take care & try to keep positive
Yx

Xeenies

May 19, 2014
Hi,
I was diagnosed with MCI around 8 months ago, I try not to let the figures overwhelm me, everyone is different, I've made some 'tweaks' to my lifestyle as suggested.
Last week I had a bad week especially at work & have noticed its progressing, but that's just me & at some stage I hope it will plateau.
When I'm out of work, it very much about making some memories as far as I'm concerned, my daughters new puppy, her wedding to look forward to, lunch with a friend tomorrow etc etc
Yx

That's really interesting to know...would love to know more about what the doctors have said, what they recommend etc...this is for my Dad. Its breaking my heart.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
My Mum 74 has moderate Alzheimers.
Dad 77 was diagnosed with cognitive impairment last year.
In Dads case his brain CT scan was worse than Mums.
Left & right frontal atrophy, signs of small vessel disease, (due to smoking?) and another area of concern which could be attributed to his early years of amateur boxing.
Being a painter & decorator he also worked with chemicals and paint.
They said his memory was not too bad for his age, but he definitely had MCI, and especially when it came to visuo spatial awareness.

This was 8 mths ago and our Memory Team want to see him again soon.

Combine all this with Mums AD, it is hard to know now if the stress of Mum is making him worse?

vonvonvon

Mar 1, 2015
That's really interesting to know...would love to know more about what the doctors have said, what they recommend etc...this is for my Dad. Its breaking my heart.
I'm sure my daughter feels the same, my doctors have given no reccommendations or help ATM (Will be chasing next week, earliest appt I can get)
I think this initial stage is just scary for everyone (my personal opinion), its the what if.. & when I find really difficult.
I've read on here about Admiral nurses, but haven't managed to track them down yet on google lol, maybe that's something your Dad's GP can help with

Reme

Mar 23, 2015
I care for My husband who was diagnosed with MCI about 18 months ago. He sees a memory Dr. The visits were 6 months apart but as he has shown signs of getting worse the Dr now wants to see him in 3 months. Hubby does not really try to help himself and I can see that he'll be one that ends up as a dementia patient. Already I find some days so hard, the constant repeating myself or reminding him to do things is not good.
My husband served in Vietnam and has PTSD and other issues. He drank heavily and was not a pleasant drunk, he gave his family a lot of grief. However we stuck by him and just when life appeared to be calm and comfortable his memory problems began. Heavy drinking has caused shrinkage in his brain.
I guess I'm angry inside as here I go again picking up the pieces and looking after him when we should be enjoying our retirement years.
Life seems so unfair. I feel that I have been robbed of a normal family life, first with Vietnam and all the issues associated with it and now MCI.
Horrible as it seems I feel that if he is not going to try and help himself then in a home he's going when the time comes as I certainly don't feel mentally and emotionally able to handle this rotten disease.
Thanks for listening

Lesley1s

May 12, 2021
Hi,
Yx

Lesley1s

May 12, 2021
Lease can I ask what's TP . I am only 53 and have just been diagnosed with MCI and haven't the slightest idea what to expect or what I am dealing with

Lesley1s

May 12, 2021
Does anyone know much about Mild Cognitive Impairment (MIC). Does it always lead to dementia/Alzheimer's? If not what is the expected % of people who are expected to stay at having a MIC?
I am unclear of any of this I am 53 newly diagnosed with MCI and no clue what I am dealing with or how to feel or react. Please help

AwayWithTheFairies

Apr 21, 2021
TP is this forum, Talking Point. I would look at it as a glass half-full and say that 90% of people with MCI don’t go on to have dementia. Or even a glass 90% full! I imaging everyone has some cognitive impairments at times. But obviously you are worried and most people would be. What made you get a diagnosis, @Leslie1s?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Lesley1s
a warm welcome to Dementia Talking Point (often abbreviated to DTP or TP) ... it's a friendly site where you can ask any questions, so keep posting with anything that's on your mind

I'm sorry you have been left with questions about your diagnosis ... you have every right to go back to your consultant and GP and ask for some explanations .... maybe write down in a notebook any questions, uncertainties and worries you have when they come to mind, so you can write to your consultant or make an appointment to see them ... and write down their answers or ask them to send them in a letter to you, so you have something to refer to later

these pages on the main Alzheimer's Society website may have some information useful to you

do keep in mind that you are the same person today as yesterday, you just now have a bit of extra information .... you have plenty of time to find out more and gradually take it in ... I hope you have family and friends to chat this over with, maybe they could find out more for you
and now you've joined this supportive community, folk here will help too

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Lesley1s and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. Have you spoken to the consultant or nurse that made the diagnosis for more information? I know when you receive news like that it is very difficult to take it in, and going back and asking any questions you forgot to ask last time might be a good idea. Do you have someone to support you? Another person who can attend appointments (which I know may be tricky in these Covid times) will help, as you can discuss what was siad afterwards. If it's a phone consultation, putting the phone on speaker may well help.
This Factsheet has lots of useful information about MCI. I hope you find it helpful.
Do keep posting, you'll find lots of support and advice here, it's a very friendly place.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Lease can I ask what's TP . I am only 53 and have just been diagnosed with MCI and haven't the slightest idea what to expect or what I am dealing with
Hi Lesley1s first welcome to T.P now just remember your on a social media site so you will get quite a few replies probably only 5% will be from other people who have a diagnoses of dementia themselves the remainder will be from family or carers just remember with dementia there is a vast range of age and severity of the dementia you will get negative or positive advise :rolleyes: so Lesley1s at the age of 53 it’s up to you my friend which you take :D personally I certainly hope it will the positive advise.

I’m 78 and like you was diagnosed with mile Alzheimer’s in July 1999 aged 56 so I definitely know and experienced the journey your about to take obviously I decided to look at everything positively and 22 years later still do that just one bit of advice always think before you make decisions you will probably be havening dealings with various bureaucrats Just remember you may been living another 30+ years with any decision you make today. :cool: the bureaucrats could retire or leave their job tomorrow if you get my drift o_O Lesley1s you will probably look me up I have been a T.P members since March 2005 ;) so you will note I’m always positive after 22 years living with my own dementia. ( remember its your Life take good care of it ) :):) by the way Re: my bureaucrats remark well I supose I was a bureaucrat o_O for the last 25 years of my working life;):D oh well the pay was good:cool::p

Last edited:

Lesley1s

May 12, 2021

Hi Lesley1s first welcome to T.P now just remember your on a social media site so you will get quite a few replies probably only 5% will be from other people who have a diagnoses of dementia themselves the remainder will be from family or carers just remember with dementia there is a vast range of age and severity of the dementia you will get negative or positive advise :rolleyes: so Lesley1s at the age of 53 it’s up to you my friend which you take :D personally I certainly hope it will the positive advise.

I’m 78 and like you was diagnosed with mile Alzheimer’s in July 1999 aged 56 so I definitely know and experienced the journey your about to take obviously I decided to look at everything positively and 22 years later still do that just one bit of advice always think before you make decisions you will probably be havening dealings with various bureaucrats Just remember you may been living another 30+ years with any decision you make today. :cool: the bureaucrats could retire or leave their job tomorrow if you get my drift o_O Lesley1s you will probably look me up I have been a T.P members since March 2005 ;) so you will note I’m always positive after 22 years living with my own dementia. ( remember its your Life take good care of it ) :):) by the way Re: my bureaucrats remark well I supose I was a bureaucrat o_O for the last 25 years of my working life;):D oh well the pay was good:cool::p
Thank you so much ?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976