Confusion - financial assessment

DennyD

Dec 6, 2016
Porthcawl, South Wales
Which comes first? I thought that the local authority would complete a financial assessment, letting us know how much funding we would be entitled to. This amount then would help us to choose a residential facility based on that the funding entitlement. Yesterday I heard that the assessment will take place after we've decided on a placement. But my problem is, what if the funds do not cover the fees, it feels that you then go round in circles.
I guess that I'll have to delve deeper into this.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
LA assessment of care needs should be done before any financial assessment, if the LA consider no care is needed there is little point in doing a financial assessment.

Has an assessment of care needs been made?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
The needs assessment is always done first.
Assuming that SS agree that he needs a care/nursing home, they are duty bound to provide at least one care/nursing home that will meet the needs and will accept the LA fees.

When you contact a care home ask them if they accept the LA rate. If they dont they will want a "top-up" fee, payable by the family. Be very careful about accepting a top-up fee as this can go up in price astronomically.

DennyD

Dec 6, 2016
Porthcawl, South Wales
Thanks everyone. A needs assessment has been done and a discharge meeting took place. It was initially agreed that EMI care would be appropriate however, other staff are in favour of another assessment as they feel he is borderline nursing care.

I've contacted homes and asked for their base fees. Yes, the top up fee makes it difficult and narrows down availability/choice and not something in my capacity to meet. He can stay where he is (emergency dementia care unit at local hospital) until a suitable place has been found. The info on Age UK is helpful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife